Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
News & Politics
US Politics
#metoo
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Frank Underwood" data-source="post: 88143" data-attributes="member: 35"><p>What did you find so "sickening and appalling?" The fact that I said nobody deserves to be abused and that all abusers should be locked up? I doubt it. It must have been the fact that I pointed out the sins women have committed, and steered the conversation towards a more objective take of both genders. I forgot only women's issues matter.</p><p></p><p></p><p>If you believe that, you obviously haven't seen the third wave feminism dreck that exists on the Internet.</p><p></p><p>And if that's all that's expected of us, why did you say "When is it time for men to discuss these issues with other men? When will the focus shift from the victims to the offenders?" Clearly, you think men need to educate each other on the issue, and that we allegedly focus more on the victims than the offenders. That's what makes me feel like we're looked down on and being condescended too. If we're not committing sexual assault or harassment, chances are we don't condone it and believe the offenders should be locked up.</p><p></p><p></p><p>So if a man being sexually abused by a woman is just as terrible, why can't we simply condemn the abuse and lock up the guilty offenders? Just because men are statistically more likely to commit sexual assault doesn't mean all men are inclined to do so. Unfortunately, that's how we're treated. Good men are being condemned for not speaking out or not saying enough. We're often condescended to and told that we need to "educate ourselves," as if we're unaware that sexual assault takes place.</p><p></p><p>Women who abuse or kill their kids, their husband, or take their spouse to the cleaners in a divorce aren't asked to hold a convention and condemn the scoundrels among them. Terrorism is often committed by Muslim extremists, but it's just as ridiculous when conservatives expect the peaceful Muslims to speak out against the bad ones. If they're not committing terrorism themselves, it should be a given that they don't support it. Good people are simply not responsible for the bad people in their ranks.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Not really. We both specified <em>third wave</em> feminism, which is its own unique branch of feminism.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I'm sorry that happened to you. Nobody should have to go through that.</p><p></p><p>Still, I don't see how being vocal against sexual abuse will change anything. How will it give women a better chance when you admitted the bad men won't listen anyway?</p><p></p><p>Statistics or no statistics, we're all human. As such, we're all capable of good things and unspeakable things. All victims of sexual assault should be treated with compassion and all offenders should be treated with disgust, regardless of gender. However, the truth is society takes female victims more seriously than male victims.</p><p></p><p></p><p>But in that case, there was something men could do. In fact, they were the only ones who could make the change.</p><p></p><p>What can men do about guys like Weinstein, other than admit they're vile creatures who should be locked up?</p><p></p><p></p><p>My point is there is no such thing as absolute fairness. I'm not just talking about the splitting of assets either. There's also child custody, child support, and alimony.</p><p></p><p>I've already discussed how the wage gap narrative lacks nuance and context in another thread, so no point in discussing that again.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I agree with that.</p><p></p><p></p><p>What about women <em>who want </em>to be housewives or sex kittens? God knows third wave feminists can't stand women like that.</p><p></p><p>Feminism is about equality, unless your're a woman who enjoys conventional gender roles. Then the third wavers will eat you alive.</p><p></p><p></p><p>As a progressive, I support all of that. I'm just tired of a culture that portrays all women as virtuous victims and all men as potential predators.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Frank Underwood, post: 88143, member: 35"] What did you find so "sickening and appalling?" The fact that I said nobody deserves to be abused and that all abusers should be locked up? I doubt it. It must have been the fact that I pointed out the sins women have committed, and steered the conversation towards a more objective take of both genders. I forgot only women's issues matter. If you believe that, you obviously haven't seen the third wave feminism dreck that exists on the Internet. And if that's all that's expected of us, why did you say "When is it time for men to discuss these issues with other men? When will the focus shift from the victims to the offenders?" Clearly, you think men need to educate each other on the issue, and that we allegedly focus more on the victims than the offenders. That's what makes me feel like we're looked down on and being condescended too. If we're not committing sexual assault or harassment, chances are we don't condone it and believe the offenders should be locked up. So if a man being sexually abused by a woman is just as terrible, why can't we simply condemn the abuse and lock up the guilty offenders? Just because men are statistically more likely to commit sexual assault doesn't mean all men are inclined to do so. Unfortunately, that's how we're treated. Good men are being condemned for not speaking out or not saying enough. We're often condescended to and told that we need to "educate ourselves," as if we're unaware that sexual assault takes place. Women who abuse or kill their kids, their husband, or take their spouse to the cleaners in a divorce aren't asked to hold a convention and condemn the scoundrels among them. Terrorism is often committed by Muslim extremists, but it's just as ridiculous when conservatives expect the peaceful Muslims to speak out against the bad ones. If they're not committing terrorism themselves, it should be a given that they don't support it. Good people are simply not responsible for the bad people in their ranks. Not really. We both specified [I]third wave[/I] feminism, which is its own unique branch of feminism. I'm sorry that happened to you. Nobody should have to go through that. Still, I don't see how being vocal against sexual abuse will change anything. How will it give women a better chance when you admitted the bad men won't listen anyway? Statistics or no statistics, we're all human. As such, we're all capable of good things and unspeakable things. All victims of sexual assault should be treated with compassion and all offenders should be treated with disgust, regardless of gender. However, the truth is society takes female victims more seriously than male victims. But in that case, there was something men could do. In fact, they were the only ones who could make the change. What can men do about guys like Weinstein, other than admit they're vile creatures who should be locked up? My point is there is no such thing as absolute fairness. I'm not just talking about the splitting of assets either. There's also child custody, child support, and alimony. I've already discussed how the wage gap narrative lacks nuance and context in another thread, so no point in discussing that again. I agree with that. What about women [I]who want [/I]to be housewives or sex kittens? God knows third wave feminists can't stand women like that. Feminism is about equality, unless your're a woman who enjoys conventional gender roles. Then the third wavers will eat you alive. As a progressive, I support all of that. I'm just tired of a culture that portrays all women as virtuous victims and all men as potential predators. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
News & Politics
US Politics
#metoo
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top