UK Series Nick Hewer leaving Countdown

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Probably speaking in tongues for those in the US of A but big news in UK Daytime telly.

He's presented the show since 2012. The longest serving host since Richard Whiteley.

Colin Murray is one of the main candidates to take over the reigns having covered for Nick Hewer while he was shielding. But could be anyone.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me Nick is the best host the show has had since the days of Richard Whiteley although I suppose at 76 years of age he is not getting any younger.

Interestingly, I went to see a number of episodes of Countdown being recorded at Media City a couple of years ago.

He's mentioned himself that's the main reason he's going.

I'm not sure how Countdowns recorded - I assume it's blocked? But the only thing standing in Colin Murray's way could be his other commitments across Radio 5 and Eurosport.

It also amazes me that it gets buried at 2.10pm in the afternoon in these days, viewing figures seem hard to come by but I can't imagine being that bad.

I remember watching it when I came in from school as a kid, so it's definitely been pushed down the chart. 5pm probably be an issue with The Chase and Pointless, but surely it could go at 4pm or 4.30pm? Surely kids coming home from school and parents made a good proportion of the viewers, and it's now inaccessible to them (yes, catch up exist but it's never the same)

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It also amazes me that it gets buried at 2.10pm in the afternoon in these days, viewing figures seem hard to come by but I can't imagine being that bad.
I would guess it's main audience is old people and university students so early afternoon works for them. Later afternoon when children are home from school and people are home for work they want something a more fun and less intellectual like Tipping Point.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would guess it's main audience is old people and university students so early afternoon works for them. Later afternoon when children are home from school and people are home for work they want something a more fun and less intellectual like Tipping Point.

I mean, I don't think the kids that rushed home to watch Countdown (the sad ones like me) were the same kids that watched Golden Balls (the closest thing to Tipping Point in those days) to be frank, so entirely different markets. 3.30pm would seem far better than 2.10pm and it's not that late,

It's main audience being university students, old people and housewives is kind of feature of it's slot. It'd be interesting to see how would do before Hollyoaks or something. (Although it'd obviously never be on that late :p) Can you really argue either of those shows do better service than Countdown? No ones suggesting it putting it up against Coronation Street / EastEnders here (although I reckon it wouldn't do as bad as some of the other stuff in those slots.)

Capture.PNG

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I mean, I don't think the kids that rushed home to watch Countdown (the sad ones like me) were the same kids that watched Golden Balls (the closest thing to Tipping Point in those days) to be frank, so entirely different markets. 3.30pm would seem far better than 2.10pm and it's not that late,
Wasn't the audience for Countdown falling though? I thought that was why they moved it to an earlier time and put Deal or No Deal in it's 4.30pm time slot and it outperformed the ratings that Countdown used to get.

I think the main reason why Channel 4 persists with Countdown is because it's cheap to produce and it was the first show on the Channel when it was launched because it can't be because of it's ratings. Nick Hewer is ok but he's not exactly a big personality that will attract an audience in the same way that Des O'Connor or Des Lynham might. Also Rachel Riley is lacks the charisma of Carol Vorderman.

I think Nick Hewer leaving might be exactly what the show needs to allow it to be refreshed with a new presenter. Colin Murray would be a good choice but whoever they choose, I think someone younger is the direction the show needs to go in.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wasn't the audience for Countdown falling though? I thought that was why they moved it to an earlier time and put Deal or No Deal in it's 4.30pm time slot and it outperformed the ratings that Countdown used to get.

I think the main reason why Channel 4 persists with Countdown is because it's cheap to produce and it was the first show on the Channel when it was launched because it can't be because of it's ratings. Nick Hewer is ok but he's not exactly a big personality that will attract an audience in the same way that Des O'Connor or Des Lynham might. Also Rachel Riley is lacks the charisma of Carol Vorderman.

I think Nick Hewer leaving might be exactly what the show needs to allow it to be refreshed with a new presenter. Colin Murray would be a good choice but whoever they choose, I think someone younger is the direction the show needs to go in.

~It's ratings tanked after it was moved earlier, not before. Channel 4 seem to want to kill Countdown but know they can't pull the plug due to the cult nature of the fanbase.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@cobbles said "I'm not sure how Countdowns recorded - I assume it's blocked"

It's recorded at the Dock 10 studios in Salford.

They record it in blocks of 15 episodes over 3 days (Monday to Wednesday) on a three weekly cycle.

On each recording day, they shoot 2 episodes in the morning and 3 episodes in the afternoon so, it's pretty fast moving with 5 episodes being recorded on each day.

It's more or less recorded as live with pick up shots being used where the odd mistake is made.

If you're in the audience, they also provide you with a pad and pencil so that you can play along with the contestants as the episode is being recorded.

They also provide you with some refreshments (bottled water and kitkats) during the short intervals in between episodes being filmed.

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@cobbles said "I'm not sure how Countdowns recorded - I assume it's blocked"

It's recorded at the Dock 10 studios in Salford.

They record it in blocks of 15 episodes over 3 days (Monday to Wednesday) on a three weekly cycle.

On each recording day, they shoot 2 episodes in the morning and 3 episodes in the afternoon so, it's pretty fast moving with 5 episodes being recorded on each day.

It's more or less recorded as live with pick up shots being used where the odd mistake is made.

If you're in the audience, they also provide you with a pad and pencil so that you can play along with the contestants as the episode is being recorded.

They also provide you with some refreshments (bottled water and kitkats) during the short intervals in between episodes being filmed.

Sounds like a hell of a day out. Must be knackering for the presenters/contestants who do well though.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sounds like a hell of a day out. Must be knackering for the presenters/contestants who do well though.
It can be tiring for those in the audience as well.

I was on the afternoon taping session. However, I don't think I could sit through 3 episodes, back to back, again.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The taping schedule you mention (two episodes/lunch break/three episodes in one day) has been the standard for American game shows for decades. If you ever watch Match Game reruns from the 1970s, you can tell what day that episode was scheduled to air by the condition of the celebrity panelists. Monday and Tuesday episodes are typically pretty straightforward, but during their lunch break the panelists would drink a lot and "loosen up". They'd return from lunch tipsy or just flat-out drunk. You would often spot paper cups beside them on set, giving the impression they continued drinking as they filmed Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Friday episodes would often be so downright silly that the celebrities could hardly concentrate at times....but those episodes are some of the most-loved episodes of the run.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I don't think Colin Murray is right for that host spot, although I do like him a lot. Something about Countdown just seems to want an older host. Or is that ageist?

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Seems as good a thread as any to mention today's show is the series final. About to start.