nuDynasty Episode Chat S5E11: I'll Settle For A Prayer

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode Description:
"Blake grows closer to Amanda, much to the chagrin of Alexis. Jeff teams up with someone who leaves a lot to be desired and trusted. Sam tries to cope as Fallon seems oblivious to his pain and then sets out to make things right. Meanwhile, Culhane jumps to a conclusion that is hurtful to Dominique."

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon makes a crack about Sam looking terrible. Well yeah, he's tired from sitting by his dying father's bedside. She didn't know and feels terrible. The cancer has spread all over Daniel's body and he likely has only weeks to live. Fallon apologizes and offers to help, but Sam tells Fallon not to try to solve his unsolvable problems for him. So of course she decides to "help" anyway. She decides to find Iris and bring her to Atlanta. Liam gets his usual Lord I wish she would not do these things look.

Amanda has breakfast at the manor. She asks about all the rotten stuff Blake has done (Alexis has filled her head with....well, true stories) and Blake gets upset. Cristal advises Blake not to stoop to Alexis's level by telling equally true stories of her exploits. So Blake comes up with excuses to have pleasant father/daughter time. Is he just doing it to piss off Alexis, or is he really interested in spending more time with his daughter? Alexis wastes no time heading to the manor to sniff around for that very answer and spray around the usual venom.

Nina is having a wardrobe issue with the film (some dress was supposed to come from Milan). The banter between Nina and Culhane screams "sexual tension". The dress that arrives is totally inappropriate, so Nina needles Culhane to look up his ex-lover Dominique and have her whip up something...which she does. Culhane asks her not to publish photos of the dress, so when a photo shows up in a tabloid, Culhane fires Dominique. Ooopsie--turns out Sasha, Culhane's girlfriend leaked the photo by accident, so now Culhane is faced with firing his girlfriend and having to apologize to Dominique and beg her to come back. Dom admits she did some mean things to Culhane in the past, so she agrees to return to design the rest of the movie wardrobe. Now I'm feeling the same tension between Culhane and Dom.

Fallon learns that Iris is likely in the small town of Covington, Idaho so they head there. The priest lies to Fallon's face (!!) about knowing a woman named Iris, so she and Liam have to come up with a plan to get into the church "without offending God". Well, the "Nympho Nun" outfit she shows up in would make the Pope's head explode. Iris is working in the church. Fallon asks her to come back to Atlanta but Iris is still feeling a huge amount of guilt for how she behaved in S1 and feels she can't show her face there.

Adam and Jeff are planning to steal the formula for that neurotoxicity drug while attending a party at the company HQ. The computer system for the company apparently uses fingerprint ID so Jeff snatches the wine glass of some company honcho when Adam distracts him. Jeff appears to get in, but then we hear a silent alarm was tripped. The hard drive is dropped into a cup of ice cream, and since every person in the room is eating ice cream it's tough for security to keep track as Jeff ducks out with the hard drive. The head of the company leaves Jeff a voice-mail telling him he knows he took the formula and that he's now got a target on his back.
Jeff seems more amused than worried.

Blake tells Amanda just enough about Kirby's descent into drugs to get Amanda to ask Alexis--did you have anything to do with that? Alexis paints a picture of Kirby as some junkie while trying to evade responsibility for the whole fiasco, which makes Amanda very upset. So upset in fact that Amanda moves out of the penthouse and into the Rose Room at the manor. When Cristal asks Blake if he did that on purpose, he confesses that since he screwed things up so badly with Steven, having Amanda around would be a chance to try again. Alexis tells B&C that she won't tolerate them treating Amanda like another "possession".

Fallon sends Liam into the church in full priest garb to talk to Iris, since she never met Liam in S1. Though he professes not to be a fan of organized religion, he does a passable job as a priest and advises her to forgive herself. Maybe he was more successful because he didn't get his outfit from Spirit Halloween like Fallon seemed to.

They bring Iris to Atlanta for a family reunion at Daniel's bedside. Daniel and Sam both forgive Iris as Fallon secretly watches through a window, "not wanting to make it about me". (!!!) Later, a tearful Sam thanks Fallon for what she did for him; she thanks him in return for reminding her there are often things more important than her plot of the week. Oh, really??

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think my head is still reeling from the cancellation news to properly focus, but I guess we got another Steven mention (I know Amanda's not a replacement!). I doubt they can get him back for the series finale, but it would be nice.

Glad Daniel's dead, but I wonder if this means that Iris is staying? If she does I assume she'll have to meet Liam...

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blake and Cristal's conversation about Amanda's moving in (and Blake's hopes to do better with her than he did with Steven) was remarkable to me because they've avoided mentioning Steven so much in the past. They danced around his very existence at times when it would have been logical ("organic") to mention him, even if in passing. I mean, B&C took a trip to Paris in one episode and they managed not to mention him. In Blake's dialogue last night, they could have easily ignored the Steven angle but chose not to. It tells me that they're laying the groundwork for some kind of resolution of his unresolved plot. Typically a soap character who has left town but is soon to return will be mentioned in dialogue prior to that return, unless of course the return is being kept under wraps. The show doesn't seem as interested in shocking!plot!twists! nowadays, but I would love to be surprised at least one more time.

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
It tells me that they're laying the groundwork for some kind of resolution of his unresolved plot.
They must have known for a while that the show probably wouldn’t be picked up for a 6th season.
Having Steven return or at least an explanation about what he’s been doing the past 3 years to give ending to his story
would almost suggest this team is responding to viewer request.
If he does return (I think James McCay is still on decent enough terms with them to do a cameo ), or get news that Steven passed away , which I doubt they would pull, is sort of a necessity to end the series properly.
Obviously the new team didn’t like both the actor and the character, they have no problem with recasts so if they had any interest we would have gotten a new Steven seasons ago.
Having Celia return is probably impossible (I doubt Nathalie would ever return for the ending after being fired the way she was)
Not for the implausibility of the character returning the last few episodes, dead characters routinely returned to soaps in daytime and nighttime.
She could have been declared dead and revived in the hospital and staged her ending to get away ( why not, if Alexis can get Fallons face… )
That reunion I would love and for me would almost make up for the last 3 horrible seasons.
But this is CW ‘s Dynasty and it wouldn’t shock me if we never get an ending to Steven before the show ends.

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting tibdit : in this episode, Daniel's family name is revealed. It's Ruiz (and not Reece like in the original show).