nuDynasty Episode Chat S5E13: Do You Always Talk To Turtles

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode Description:
"Blake and Cristal work on the opening of PPA but not all goes as planned. Fallon goes to extreme measures to further her company. Adam needs Liam's help in his next business venture and when Liam doesn't pull through, Sam reveals a damaging secret. Sam, worried about Culhane, comes up with a plan and needs Kirby's help to execute it. Dominique voices her concern about Jeff's new mission but he's not backing down."

Edit: There must have been a mistake in the description, because it was Adam (not Sam) who revealed the damaging secret.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon's now been to five doctors, and they all agreed she cannot carry a baby. Fallon is throwing herself into work to forget; Liam says he'll be there when/if she wants to talk. At the office, an associate tells Fallon that one of her clients is not pleased that Fallon's father is opening that private airline/airport with all the associated pollution. Guilt by association? The client threatens to void their contract.

Kirby and Amanda spent the previous night together. Amanda then goes into work to gloat toward Adam, hoping he will lose his job and his medical license. He's getting that unbalanced look in his eyes again and making mysterious phone calls.

Now that Jeff has released that formula and gotten his revenge on that pharma company, he's now talking (to Dom) about going after some other company (a shoe company) that apparently mistreats its employees. Dom's like "You know you're not some super-hero, right?" Right network, wrong show. Jeff's home is later trashed, with threatening notes and everything. Jeff is not deterred. Will he start wearing a cape and spandex? The CW might end up reconsidering cancelling!!

Fallon proposes MorellCorp. "green up" Blake's airport, but Blake balks at another delay in opening the airport. Cristal insists Fallon can only take 48 hours to do what they can with the "weird light bulbs and stuff" because the airport needs to open on time or else it will be a financial disaster. Maybe they could get Patty DeVilbis to do one of her "green-washing" things from six or seven episodes back?

What the hell is Sam wearing? He reads Sasha's cards (Tarot cards) and decides she's no good for Culhane. He goes to Kirby for help in plotting their break-up. Kirby is no fan of Sasha, either, but Kirby's a bit....distracted.

Adam's secret phone call is to LAURA VAN KIRK, whom he wants to help him get more of that secret ingredient from India. She needs his help, too. There is a board meeting at Van Kirk Industries and Laura needs Liam's proxy in order to get a majority of votes. Will Adam help her? Adam points out that he (Adam) is not one of Liam's favorite people (hmmm, the flower pot, the amnesia, the....you get the idea) but Laura is not one to be denied anything.

So she's laid up in a hospital bed, with Adam claiming she's been in a horrible accident. Liam totally nonchalantly tells Adam to pull the plug. Yes, it was fake, but Laura begs him to take his family responsibilities seriously. He tells her it's HER business and walks out. Laura tells Adam that if she doesn't fight off the takeover attempt from her sister (?), she won't be able to help him with anything. He offers Laura all the Alexam she can inject in her lying face. Adam tells Laura that Liam and Fallon are upset over her infertility, so maybe that's why Liam isn't very receptive.

In an effort to slow down the opening of the airport, Fallon releases an endangered turtle that she smuggled onto the property in her purse. She then has a Department of Natural Resources agent conveniently on premises, who sees the turtle and declares a shutdown of operations. So Blake asks Amanda (the all-purpose attorney) to help him. Fallon still wants to green up the facility but acts innocent when they speak of the delay. Unfortunately she mentions the turtle while no one in the room had mentioned him (her?), so Cristal catches up to Fallon later and nails her for the dirty trick. Cristal demands that Fallon fix it.

Culhane calls Sam out for Sasha leaving him. Sam's Tarot card argument is kind of lame, but he insists he's just being a good friend. Culhane disagrees. Sasha might not have been a prize, but Culhane does have a point. They mend fences eventually, as they always do.

Apparently the situations got fixed, as we see Blake opening the Joseph Anders Memorial Airport. Amanda and Kirby are snogging in one of the private jets when Blake boards to take some offscreen people for a spin. Are we to assume Kirby/Amanda are joining the Mile-High Club?

Laura shows up at the opening, and Liam is actively avoiding her. Laura seeks out Fallon and calls her "useless" since she can't get pregnant. Of course that does not go well. Fallon slugs Laura, and as Laura pulls back to return the favor, Liam grabs his mother's hand. "Being able to give birth does not make someone a mother," he declares. "You're living proof of that!" Laura declares she's going to dis-inherit Liam--he offers to drive her to the lawyer's offices to get the ball rolling. She screams that Fallon is a failure as she retreats from the crowd watching them argue.

Back at the manor, Fallon spills her guts to Cristal over tea. Cristal reminds Fallon that she's in the same boat as far as infertility, and reminds her that she doesn't have to go through this alone. It's all rather sweet; Cristal even offers to foot half the bill for Fallon's greening-up of the airport. Later with Liam, she broaches the subject of getting a surrogate mother, since they've rarely done anything by the book in their relationship. He's okay with it.

Jeff decides that rather than another Batman caper, he'll simply buy the shoe company and fire the guy running it. Jeff announces he will now spend his time rebuilding his fortune and his legacy, which makes Dom very happy. She also wonders about developing a shoe line.

Laura has been drinking heavily and giving herself Alexam injections. Adam is there hoping she will send that e-mail to India to get Adam his ingredients, but she's still toying with him when she trips and falls. He assumes she's passed out drunk, but when he turns her over she is dead, staring blankly ahead with [one of her spiked-heel shoes] sticking out of her chest. Adam uses her eyeprint to unlock her phone, then sends the e-mail. "Couldn't have done it without you..." he quips as he leaves her body on the floor still staring into space.

I wonder: if Liam finds the body, how long will he keep telling her to quit faking it and get up off the floor?

[edited to reflect my mistake as to what caused Laura's demise]

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Death by heel.

Laura has been drinking heavily and giving herself Alexam injections. Adam is there hoping she will send that e-mail to India to get Adam his ingredients, but she's still toying with him when she trips and falls. He assumes she's passed out drunk, but when he turns her over she is dead, staring blankly ahead with a syringe sticking out of her chest. Adam uses her eyeprint to unlock her phone, then sends the e-mail.
It wasn't a syringe - she tripped and fell on one of her high heeled shoes which was sticking out of chest.

lauradeath.png

Though, Adam forgot to turn the body over when he left, but I guess they could assume that she managed to turn herself over before she croaked?

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
The Crystal and Fallon scenes gave off season 1 Celia and Fallon vibes and that’s what should have been for the last 4 seasons.
EG can pull off real emotion when they write it on paper, we saw that in season 1 so again why all the crap the last 3-4 seasons with Fallon.
Why did they write Laura van Kirk more like Alexis than Alexis?
She reminds me of NS Alexis season 1 and her scenes showed how much that character and dynamic has been missing from this series the last 3 seasons.
I would have loved to have seen a NS Alexis vs Laura van Kirk, they would have killed each other, Laura would destroy EH “Alexis “ instantly.
The last scene with her and Adam gave me Alexis, Hank and also og Alexis Adam feelings.
Maybe she should have been NS replacement but if the writing was like this for the character there wouldn’t have been a need to recast , also I know this series is ending but why kill her off, keep it going until the end.
I know Moldavia is off the table with recent horrible events but she could have been useful till the ending.
This series gets rid of a secondary character that has more impact but it never had the courage to stick a heel in culhane Sam and Kirby, it’s been years overdue.
It’s also too bad they didn’t give Dominique more to do in this series,
She could have been a force but we got a seamstress who’s Jeff’s conscience instead.
Garret is showing up so I guess she’ll have a happy ending .
Unless Adam gets involved in the Amanda Kirby romance plot and he goes after his sister like he did his 2 mothers then there’s no point to it, it’s more filler like culhane and Sam who if they weren’t in this it would have been an episode worthy of season 1, I would have rather seen Amanda go after her mother’s boyfriend,
but this Dex who wasn’t in this ep (you really don’t notice when he and “Alexis” are absent) hasn’t nearly the draw to pull her in.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It wasn't a syringe - she tripped and fell on one of her high heeled shoes which was sticking out of chest.
Nice catch on the high heel---when I was watching I saw a brief glimpse of blood, then fixated on her open, dead eyes. Which....I'm doing it again. o_O I assumed it was another of her Alexam syringes. Too bad Adam did not agree to her "lifetime supply of Alexam" terms right before her death by heel, because it would have been a great deal. Adam's gallows humor around corpses is weirdly endearing. Not only did he forget to turn her back over (face down), I don't think he wiped his fingerprints off all the stuff he'd been handling (the phone, the syringes, the doorknob, etc.) in the office. My synopses keep getting cut/pasted onto another Dynasty site (by a former tellytalk member, no less), so I guess I should edit above so he doesn't mislead everyone in his effort to karma-farm using my writings.

I like the plot possibilities that this opens up, not only for Liam but the Carringtons in general. VKI might very well end up in Liam's (and Fallon's?) hands, given he will most likely inherit Laura's shares in the company. Now that Blake has his precious airport maybe he will lose interest in it the way he did the soccer team. Would Blake hit up Liam to appoint him to run VKI, seeing as how Liam wants nothing to do with the company and doesn't really trust his other relatives? And don't write off the Moldavians yet. Laura had all these nefarious dealings with them, so if Blake were to take over running VKI he would "inherit" the Moldavian deals. They might not be too happy dealing with him again, and might decide to take him out (and I don't mean dinner and a movie). Another option would be for Liam to ask Jeff to run it, though I doubt there will be time to see what the eventual leader of the company will be able to do with it.

I have to say I was impressed with the scenes between Cristal and Fallon surrounding Fallon's infertility. They do know how to write more tender interactions between the characters without sacrificing the usual action...but now that they're closing up shop, I fear there will be less of that and more attention focused on getting all the plot points covered.

Though it was a nice touch for Blake to name the airport after Anders, it was strange that it was such a surprise. When a ceremony is held at a landmark being named for a person, they typically have a close relative of that person speak briefly, not only to thank the people giving their relative that honor, but also to give the crowd an idea of who the person was if they are not well-known. So you would think Blake would have told Kirby ahead of time and asked her to be on the stage with him. Even if he didn't have her speak, she would have been the logical person to reveal the signage/plaque naming the airport. Instead, she was just stealing moments with Amanda as if she had no real reason to be there.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think he wiped his fingerprints off all the stuff he'd been handling (the phone, the syringes, the doorknob, etc.) in the office.
Actually, that, he did.

adamcleaning.png

adamcleaning2.png
adamcleaning3.png

He just grabbed the syringes. Which is why I thought it was odd he forgot to turn Laura over.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The dementia must be setting in. Right again....I should have more faith in Adam's ability to clean up a murder scene. Okay, technically not a murder scene (for once), but you know what I mean. And that was her glass on the desk, I am 99% sure.

I went back and watched the whole episode on their streaming service and this time I kept my eyes on the screen rather than the keyboard. ;) One last 'mystery' was solved in my mind when I saw that Laura had kicked off her shoes right before she fell. I'd found it highly improbable that she could trip and fall with her shoes on her feet, only to have one of them end up stabbing her to death. I wonder if the fact that she had just loaded herself up on Alexam injections was what actually caused her to fall, that her death will be the catalyst for testing to reveal the drug is unsafe and has to be removed from the market. Alexam already killed Dr. Larson, technically, so maybe the body count just doubled. It would ruin Alexis (again) and Adam would end up in even more trouble than usual. This show has a history of creating companies/business ventures just to destroy them (or otherwise lose interest), so I can picture this would be their way to close out the Alexam plotline.

Lankershim Blasdel 1

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
He just grabbed the syringes. Which is why I thought it was odd he forgot to turn Laura over.
Maybe with the argument in public and Laura threatening to disinherit him, now Liam will be a prime suspect possibly. I can’t remember if Adam was at the airport opening.
It is a waste to get rid of a talented actress like Sharon Lawrence so close to the ending.
She was able to take whatever was written for her character and give such nuance to her performance, mixing camp, real emotion and delivering the weak script full tilt .
Not a 50 something acting like a moody 16 year old, too sweet or a snarky bitch no in between
The real Alexis Carrington Colby of this show since the end of season 1. Maybe a few episodes in season 2 (only bc of the writing not the actor)

Last edited:

Artur

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The actress playing Laura and NS showed the depth and comlexity of their characters. They were both believable as the representatives of the senior generation. Unlike the present Alexis, who seems to be a computer-generated emotionless villain, looking like the artificially aged Fallon's Sister.

Lankershim Blasdel 1

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
A major mistake these CW people made was diluting Alexis the first episode of season 2.
No one was able to outshine EG and that was the mistake.
The role of Alexis was too important to the Dynasty world, what we have been given the last 3 seasons isn’t the character and the 2nd actress can’t pull off the expectations.
Sharon L was given the same mediocre script and gave off so much from it.
Alexis was able to manipulate her boy toy to cut his finger off a season earlier then couldn’t control him or anyone else in S2 and became a punch line.
Losing NS to bad writing was the nail in the coffin of the series, it never recovered.
That plus getting rid of the 2 important characters (Celia and Steven) and the company .
The CW thought Steven was too complex a character for the tween audience I guess
What they wanted was a stereotype who wouldn’t offend the kids.
I can accept Daniella in the role (because she is talented and beautiful ) but recasting the series lead 3X doesn’t work (Celia was the main star ) and even her talking about her not able to carry a child didn’t fly because it wasn’t her that got hurt.
Recasts cheapen a night time series and turns it into a day time throw away, and the CW is the bottom to begin with so it needed to stay consistent with its core cast.
Making all the older characters pointless and the 20 and 30 somethings and even 50 something Alexis act like 13 year olds is just ridiculous( she had to post her jewelry trip on Instagram, it’s all so dumbed down)
Sharon and Nicolette showed how it should be done.
The worst reboot reboot of a classic character ever

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's time to introduce Laura's sister, Sable Van Kirk, before the show gets canceled.
Laura name-checked the relative who was seeking to oust her from the leadership of VKI, but I forgot the name she used.

Another interesting option would have been if the Sable-based character was Liam's sister (whom Laura also mentioned in conversation but did not name). They may have mentioned her existence before, but I was surprised to hear Liam has a sister at all. Given how "difficult" Laura can be, one would assume Liam and his sister have different fathers; no man could have put up with her for very long.