Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Watching Film Noirs
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 348054" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>Last night, THE VELVET TOUCH (1948); one of my favorite obsure-ish films.</p><p></p><p>I'm a bit iffy about whether this is noir or not. It looks like noir, but most B&W films of the mid- to late-40s look like noir even when they're not. This one is a bit light for the genre, but Wiki and IMDB both classify it as such; so bet it. Plus there's no thread on the forum for "Watching Quasi- Film Noirs". This one's a melodrama about a famous stage actress who kills her abusive lover; the rest of the movie is about whether she gets caught, or her conscious gives her away. (Hint: Hayes Office.)</p><p></p><p>There's no actress of the era that I find more hit-or-miss than Rosiland Russell. She could be great but, just as often, grating. Here, I think she found a good balance between florid but not <em>too </em>over-the-top. She's well supported by Claire Trevor, who seemed to know the exact right amount of over-the-top. This and her work in KEY LARGO rank among my favorite performances of the era. Sydney Greenstreet is equally good as a starstruck detective investigating the crime.</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]42187[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 348054, member: 5079"] Last night, THE VELVET TOUCH (1948); one of my favorite obsure-ish films. I'm a bit iffy about whether this is noir or not. It looks like noir, but most B&W films of the mid- to late-40s look like noir even when they're not. This one is a bit light for the genre, but Wiki and IMDB both classify it as such; so bet it. Plus there's no thread on the forum for "Watching Quasi- Film Noirs". This one's a melodrama about a famous stage actress who kills her abusive lover; the rest of the movie is about whether she gets caught, or her conscious gives her away. (Hint: Hayes Office.) There's no actress of the era that I find more hit-or-miss than Rosiland Russell. She could be great but, just as often, grating. Here, I think she found a good balance between florid but not [I]too [/I]over-the-top. She's well supported by Claire Trevor, who seemed to know the exact right amount of over-the-top. This and her work in KEY LARGO rank among my favorite performances of the era. Sydney Greenstreet is equally good as a starstruck detective investigating the crime. [ATTACH type="full"]42187[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Watching Film Noirs
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top