Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 327169" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>[ATTACH=full]38084[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>Let's start with the good part: a nice shot of James Norton's naked bum.</p><p>The movie is a curious mix of storylines that are supposed to build up to something simultaneously, and I guess in a way it does.</p><p></p><p>It has the narcissistic and adulterous husband and bulimiac wife moving from the city to a more agricultural part of New York. The town itself turns out to be a blend of local rednecks, rich bohemians and the college society so, yeah, big fat shades of <em>The Affair.</em></p><p>They don't show much of the locals except for the slutty, cynical cowgirl with the nice personality and the long-haired, broody redneck stud.</p><p>All of this screams "my cup of tea!" and indeed, it was enough to create an interesting sexy thriller or drama.</p><p></p><p>The other part of the movie is a haunted house and theological metaphors in paintings, séances and a cult following, the <em>Talented Mr. Ripley </em> and <em>The Shining .</em></p><p>Even with a two hours running time it's impossible to pull it all off convincingly or satisfactory, although it appears to be none of these things.</p><p>A movie review quotes a part of an interview with the movie directors, saying that it is essentially a MeToo movie. It doesn't mention if the director's approach echoes the sentiment of the novelist and I couldn't bother to verify any of it.</p><p>But since I take stories at face value and I'm too gullible to suspect anything I didn't really get that message. And to be honest, I still don't. Ironic, isn't it.</p><p></p><p>So, I guess this means <em>men</em> are damned and <em>women</em> suffer from bulimia. Yeah, that part of the character is never explored, it's just a Bulimian Rhapsody because, why not?</p><p>This is a very, very bad movie with lots of "like, seriously?" dialogue but I didn't hate watching it.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 327169, member: 8"] [ATTACH type="full"]38084[/ATTACH] Let's start with the good part: a nice shot of James Norton's naked bum. The movie is a curious mix of storylines that are supposed to build up to something simultaneously, and I guess in a way it does. It has the narcissistic and adulterous husband and bulimiac wife moving from the city to a more agricultural part of New York. The town itself turns out to be a blend of local rednecks, rich bohemians and the college society so, yeah, big fat shades of [I]The Affair.[/I] They don't show much of the locals except for the slutty, cynical cowgirl with the nice personality and the long-haired, broody redneck stud. All of this screams "my cup of tea!" and indeed, it was enough to create an interesting sexy thriller or drama. The other part of the movie is a haunted house and theological metaphors in paintings, séances and a cult following, the [I]Talented Mr. Ripley [/I] and [I]The Shining .[/I] Even with a two hours running time it's impossible to pull it all off convincingly or satisfactory, although it appears to be none of these things. A movie review quotes a part of an interview with the movie directors, saying that it is essentially a MeToo movie. It doesn't mention if the director's approach echoes the sentiment of the novelist and I couldn't bother to verify any of it. But since I take stories at face value and I'm too gullible to suspect anything I didn't really get that message. And to be honest, I still don't. Ironic, isn't it. So, I guess this means [I]men[/I] are damned and [I]women[/I] suffer from bulimia. Yeah, that part of the character is never explored, it's just a Bulimian Rhapsody because, why not? This is a very, very bad movie with lots of "like, seriously?" dialogue but I didn't hate watching it. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top