Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 348942" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>And yet the film title looks <em><strong>so</strong></em> intriguing.</p><p>Seriously, what's going on here? Why is our highly esteemed World Cup of Soaps moderator watching all these super-lame christmas movies?</p><p>To quote the worst line from Nicole Kidman's acting career: <em>"what....have....they....done...to you?"</em></p><p></p><p>Scuttle it, scuttle it!</p><p>[ATTACH=full]42391[/ATTACH]</p><p>The big plot twists are predictable (well, they are in 2022) but the fun part is that the picture-perfect Cutlers are indirectly involved. It's almost a National Lampoon's Niagara honeymoon.</p><p>With characters constantly walking in and out of cabins and shops it also has a sense of a whodunnit, as in: where was he or she at this or that particular time?</p><p>That relentless force of nature that's almost never out of sight even adds a bit of "disaster movie" to it. The on-screen murder looks surprisingly unsettling.</p><p></p><p>Then there's the older but exhaustingly energetic couple - Mr. Kettering calls Ray Cutler's wife "Polly-O". Incidentally, Jean Peters reminded me of Lara Flynn Boyle and the strange thing is that I noticed that at the time I was comparing Marilyn Monroe's character to Twin Peak's Audrey Horne.</p><p>NIAGARA is entertaining from start to finish.</p><p></p><p>Speaking of disaster movies...</p><p>[ATTACH=full]42396[/ATTACH]</p><p>Weeeeh...what shall I say about this one?</p><p>The special effects are awesome but when "it" happens....it doesn't stop! Did I really need to see <em>every </em> tree and building being destroyed?</p><p>There are no fabulous guest stars and I disliked every character in this film, especially the kids and their "ain't I mature for my age?" antics.</p><p></p><p>Additionally....</p><p>[ATTACH=full]42397[/ATTACH]</p><p>If someone would <em>tell</em> me what SHREK is all about then I'd probably run for hills (or volcano, for that matter).</p><p>But all that classics-mixed-with-contemporary that <em>didn't</em> work for me in the Disney stories (starting with the renaissance films) works brilliantly in SHREK 2.</p><p>I assume that one of the reasons is that it's naughtier, which allows them to pick the fun contemporary stuff.</p><p>But the humour is in so many details and film fragments, blink and you'll miss it. All the more reason to watch it again.</p><p></p><p>Of course I'm too old for the fart jokes but thankfully these are kept to a minimum and in a way they are related to the characters.</p><p>At some point in the story we can hear Eddie Murphy scream "police brutality, police brutality!" - I'm sure it's not too difficult to connect the dots here. I found it so daring and funny.</p><p>Puss in boots is fantastic, I also love his spin-off film. Or is it purr-off?</p><p>Everything I hate about MALEFICENT (and what's <em>not</em> to hate there?) looks great in the Shrek universe.</p><p>Fairy Godmother as a villainous Hollywood guru who happens to be the mother of the callous and narcissistic Prince Charming, Captain Hook as the local sea shanty singer and Pinocchio as a closeted femboy - these are all pretty interesting twists.</p><p>The mixed up world of Medieval and contemporary is over the top and yet strangely believable. Either way, none of it gets so much attention that it becomes annoying.</p><p>Before you've had the time to form an opinion, the story has already moved on to another scene.</p><p></p><p>I watched the first SHREK film on the back of it and I have to admit that it doesn't look very awesome. I'm glad that the sequel was my introduction to SHREK otherwise I may not have bothered.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 348942, member: 8"] And yet the film title looks [I][B]so[/B][/I] intriguing. Seriously, what's going on here? Why is our highly esteemed World Cup of Soaps moderator watching all these super-lame christmas movies? To quote the worst line from Nicole Kidman's acting career: [I]"what....have....they....done...to you?"[/I] Scuttle it, scuttle it! [ATTACH type="full"]42391[/ATTACH] The big plot twists are predictable (well, they are in 2022) but the fun part is that the picture-perfect Cutlers are indirectly involved. It's almost a National Lampoon's Niagara honeymoon. With characters constantly walking in and out of cabins and shops it also has a sense of a whodunnit, as in: where was he or she at this or that particular time? That relentless force of nature that's almost never out of sight even adds a bit of "disaster movie" to it. The on-screen murder looks surprisingly unsettling. Then there's the older but exhaustingly energetic couple - Mr. Kettering calls Ray Cutler's wife "Polly-O". Incidentally, Jean Peters reminded me of Lara Flynn Boyle and the strange thing is that I noticed that at the time I was comparing Marilyn Monroe's character to Twin Peak's Audrey Horne. NIAGARA is entertaining from start to finish. Speaking of disaster movies... [ATTACH type="full"]42396[/ATTACH] Weeeeh...what shall I say about this one? The special effects are awesome but when "it" happens....it doesn't stop! Did I really need to see [I]every [/I] tree and building being destroyed? There are no fabulous guest stars and I disliked every character in this film, especially the kids and their "ain't I mature for my age?" antics. Additionally.... [ATTACH type="full"]42397[/ATTACH] If someone would [I]tell[/I] me what SHREK is all about then I'd probably run for hills (or volcano, for that matter). But all that classics-mixed-with-contemporary that [I]didn't[/I] work for me in the Disney stories (starting with the renaissance films) works brilliantly in SHREK 2. I assume that one of the reasons is that it's naughtier, which allows them to pick the fun contemporary stuff. But the humour is in so many details and film fragments, blink and you'll miss it. All the more reason to watch it again. Of course I'm too old for the fart jokes but thankfully these are kept to a minimum and in a way they are related to the characters. At some point in the story we can hear Eddie Murphy scream "police brutality, police brutality!" - I'm sure it's not too difficult to connect the dots here. I found it so daring and funny. Puss in boots is fantastic, I also love his spin-off film. Or is it purr-off? Everything I hate about MALEFICENT (and what's [I]not[/I] to hate there?) looks great in the Shrek universe. Fairy Godmother as a villainous Hollywood guru who happens to be the mother of the callous and narcissistic Prince Charming, Captain Hook as the local sea shanty singer and Pinocchio as a closeted femboy - these are all pretty interesting twists. The mixed up world of Medieval and contemporary is over the top and yet strangely believable. Either way, none of it gets so much attention that it becomes annoying. Before you've had the time to form an opinion, the story has already moved on to another scene. I watched the first SHREK film on the back of it and I have to admit that it doesn't look very awesome. I'm glad that the sequel was my introduction to SHREK otherwise I may not have bothered. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top