Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Seaviewer" data-source="post: 354344" data-attributes="member: 57"><p>Damn Yankees (1958)</p><p>About the seven millionth rip-off <em>Faust</em> in which a dedicated Washington Senators fan makes a deal with the devil to become a baseball star to lead his beloved team to victory over "those damn Yankees".</p><p>This showed up in my Tubi feed as something to watch after <em>The Pajama Game</em>, and the two films have some common parentage - most importantly co-directors George Abbott and Stanley Donen. This film, however, only has one bona fide hit: "(You Gotta Have) Heart."</p><p>Tab Hunter, a one time matinee idol who never quite hit the top of the pile, puts in a stolid performance, and it's interesting to see Gwen Verdon, a Braodway legend, in one of her rare film appearances. Knowing Ray Walston primarily for <em>My Favorite Martian</em>, it's always something of a surprise to see him in one of these musicals (he was also in <em>South Pacific</em> and <em>Paint Your Wagon</em>) but his otherworldliness stands him in good stead here in the role of "Mr. Applegate".</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Seaviewer, post: 354344, member: 57"] Damn Yankees (1958) About the seven millionth rip-off [I]Faust[/I] in which a dedicated Washington Senators fan makes a deal with the devil to become a baseball star to lead his beloved team to victory over "those damn Yankees". This showed up in my Tubi feed as something to watch after [I]The Pajama Game[/I], and the two films have some common parentage - most importantly co-directors George Abbott and Stanley Donen. This film, however, only has one bona fide hit: "(You Gotta Have) Heart." Tab Hunter, a one time matinee idol who never quite hit the top of the pile, puts in a stolid performance, and it's interesting to see Gwen Verdon, a Braodway legend, in one of her rare film appearances. Knowing Ray Walston primarily for [I]My Favorite Martian[/I], it's always something of a surprise to see him in one of these musicals (he was also in [I]South Pacific[/I] and [I]Paint Your Wagon[/I]) but his otherworldliness stands him in good stead here in the role of "Mr. Applegate". [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top