Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 388538" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>YIELD TO THE NIGHT (1956)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51053[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>If the comparison to/with/between Marilyn Monroe has to be made then I guess this was Diana's NIAGARA, and therefore it's not surprising that the fabulous Vintage Classics decided to give YIELD a "stunning new restoration" make-over.</p><p>The story has a somewhat "cold" approach and for a while I didn't know what to make of it, almost as if it refused to offer a dramatic angle.</p><p>However, this allowed the film to creep up on me and I was kind of surprised to realise how much I liked it.</p><p>I think it's mostly about hope, in both the flashback and prison scenes, and the unforgiveness when that hope ceases.</p><p>Whereas other dramas create something big from something small, YIELD takes the worst-case scenario and compresses it with a restraint that's almost torturous.</p><p>The look on main character Mary Hilton's face when the prison governess informs her of the inevitable is the big payoff.</p><p></p><p>Coincidentally, the lover's "betrayal in death" is quite similar to the one in SARABAND. </p><p></p><p>I wonder what other Diana Dors movies Studiocanal/Vintage Classics has in store for us. I like to keep supporting the stunning new restorations especially when they're released on DVD. It looks like BFI is going to follow Criterion and focus on bluray-only releases. And that ain't cool. </p><p>Another issue - completely unrelated to this film - is that amazon UK has tripled its shipping costs for no apparent reason and without giving a heads-up.</p><p>For many years it's been my "Poland" for DVD shopping but it looks like those days are gone now.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 388538, member: 8"] YIELD TO THE NIGHT (1956) [ATTACH type="full"]51053[/ATTACH] If the comparison to/with/between Marilyn Monroe has to be made then I guess this was Diana's NIAGARA, and therefore it's not surprising that the fabulous Vintage Classics decided to give YIELD a "stunning new restoration" make-over. The story has a somewhat "cold" approach and for a while I didn't know what to make of it, almost as if it refused to offer a dramatic angle. However, this allowed the film to creep up on me and I was kind of surprised to realise how much I liked it. I think it's mostly about hope, in both the flashback and prison scenes, and the unforgiveness when that hope ceases. Whereas other dramas create something big from something small, YIELD takes the worst-case scenario and compresses it with a restraint that's almost torturous. The look on main character Mary Hilton's face when the prison governess informs her of the inevitable is the big payoff. Coincidentally, the lover's "betrayal in death" is quite similar to the one in SARABAND. I wonder what other Diana Dors movies Studiocanal/Vintage Classics has in store for us. I like to keep supporting the stunning new restorations especially when they're released on DVD. It looks like BFI is going to follow Criterion and focus on bluray-only releases. And that ain't cool. Another issue - completely unrelated to this film - is that amazon UK has tripled its shipping costs for no apparent reason and without giving a heads-up. For many years it's been my "Poland" for DVD shopping but it looks like those days are gone now. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top