Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 388798" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Today was a "Trevor Howard's Way" double feature.</p><p></p><p>THE THIRD MAN (1949)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51097[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>There's Abigail and there's Ann-Margret, and then there's the actress who's credited only by her last name. How novel!</p><p>Peyton Place star Wilfrid Hyde-White features in a supporting role and I think I need to see more of him, in leading roles.</p><p></p><p>I understood some of the German spoken dialogue and even though it was only trivial to the story (unless someone translated it to Joseph Cotten) it kinda felt like hearing more than I should.</p><p>Trevor Howard is the cool and practical Major Calloway in glossy leather and Orson Welles plays Harry Lime who gets involved with the more sordid part of the black market.</p><p>The story plays out like a conspiracy murder mystery, but the film is so bedazzling with all its awesome scenery and many characters I don't think I was paying too much attention to it.</p><p>What intrigued me the most was the one thing they didn't show - the friendship between Holly Martins and Harry Lime.</p><p></p><p>It's possible that I've missed it but I still don't know exactly what kind of job Harry had in mind for Holly.</p><p>Since (Alida) Valli's character was so much in love with Harry - or was it disproportionate gratitude? - it's hard to think of him as a villain.</p><p>I have this funny theory that he felt he had gone too far, and wanted to be caught. Not by the authorities and definitely not without kicking and screaming, it needed to be a true defeat.</p><p>I think he plotted the whole intrigue just to make sure that his friend would get involved. And so Holly Martins became the gunslinger hero in his own real-life potboiler.</p><p>But what the heck do I know? I don't even know who the third man was.</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51098[/ATTACH]</p><p>So pretty.</p><p></p><p></p><p>BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51099[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>When the very first scene, before I even get to know the characters, oozes with drama and heartbreak, then I just know it's going to be a very good one.</p><p>In many ways it feels more like a 1970s drama, I kept thinking of some of the Woody Allen films.</p><p>Celia Johnson's fantastic narration informs us of the how and what and when, and of course everything she felt at that time.</p><p>But it's done in such a spontaneous way that it also comments on trivial stuff, like "being sick of musicals", and some of her thoughts are unintentionally catty.</p><p>"Perhaps she (Dr. Alec's unseen wife Madeline) is upstairs in her bedroom, not feeling well".</p><p>It's easy to imagine a remake starring Mia Farrow and Ben Cross.</p><p></p><p>About halfway the film the affair becomes a de facto thing and that takes some of the pleasant tension out of it, but then I began to realise that her monologue was an imaginary confession to her husband, and then it's almost as if <em>that</em> becomes the love story.</p><p>It's just incredibly well done. Incredibly.</p><p>With Anton Karas' <em>Third Man Theme </em>still ringing in my ears it kinda overbears the Brief Encounters soundtrack, but that's OK. It works for both films.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 388798, member: 8"] Today was a "Trevor Howard's Way" double feature. THE THIRD MAN (1949) [ATTACH type="full"]51097[/ATTACH] There's Abigail and there's Ann-Margret, and then there's the actress who's credited only by her last name. How novel! Peyton Place star Wilfrid Hyde-White features in a supporting role and I think I need to see more of him, in leading roles. I understood some of the German spoken dialogue and even though it was only trivial to the story (unless someone translated it to Joseph Cotten) it kinda felt like hearing more than I should. Trevor Howard is the cool and practical Major Calloway in glossy leather and Orson Welles plays Harry Lime who gets involved with the more sordid part of the black market. The story plays out like a conspiracy murder mystery, but the film is so bedazzling with all its awesome scenery and many characters I don't think I was paying too much attention to it. What intrigued me the most was the one thing they didn't show - the friendship between Holly Martins and Harry Lime. It's possible that I've missed it but I still don't know exactly what kind of job Harry had in mind for Holly. Since (Alida) Valli's character was so much in love with Harry - or was it disproportionate gratitude? - it's hard to think of him as a villain. I have this funny theory that he felt he had gone too far, and wanted to be caught. Not by the authorities and definitely not without kicking and screaming, it needed to be a true defeat. I think he plotted the whole intrigue just to make sure that his friend would get involved. And so Holly Martins became the gunslinger hero in his own real-life potboiler. But what the heck do I know? I don't even know who the third man was. [ATTACH type="full"]51098[/ATTACH] So pretty. BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945) [ATTACH type="full"]51099[/ATTACH] When the very first scene, before I even get to know the characters, oozes with drama and heartbreak, then I just know it's going to be a very good one. In many ways it feels more like a 1970s drama, I kept thinking of some of the Woody Allen films. Celia Johnson's fantastic narration informs us of the how and what and when, and of course everything she felt at that time. But it's done in such a spontaneous way that it also comments on trivial stuff, like "being sick of musicals", and some of her thoughts are unintentionally catty. "Perhaps she (Dr. Alec's unseen wife Madeline) is upstairs in her bedroom, not feeling well". It's easy to imagine a remake starring Mia Farrow and Ben Cross. About halfway the film the affair becomes a de facto thing and that takes some of the pleasant tension out of it, but then I began to realise that her monologue was an imaginary confession to her husband, and then it's almost as if [I]that[/I] becomes the love story. It's just incredibly well done. Incredibly. With Anton Karas' [I]Third Man Theme [/I]still ringing in my ears it kinda overbears the Brief Encounters soundtrack, but that's OK. It works for both films. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top