Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 403350" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>I read the original "novel" (well, it's more sort of an imaginary biography) written by John King, which was really great. John King also wrote <em>The</em> <em>Football Factory</em>, a brilliant novel exploring the psychology of football hooliganism. <em>The Football Factory</em> was made into a film too, by Nick Love, a director with a reputation for trashy ladsy exploitation flicks , so I avoided it at the time. but I'd be quite intrigued to see it now. Anyway, <em>Damned United da movie</em> is inevitably less complicated than <em>Damned United da book</em>, but it's still really good. It's got that same slightly larger-than-life, not-quite-cartoony-but-almost style that a lot of recent-ish British films (and TV series) adopt when dealing with this country's recent history. When it works it, it works very well as it does here and in <em>Pride</em> (film about the '80s miners strike) and <em>Nolly</em>, the mini-series about <em>Crossroads</em>. When it doesn't work, it can feel like a cop-out or an over-sweetened pill (I didn't care for the very popular <em>Made in Dagenham</em>, about an all-female led strike in the late '60s, for that reason).</p><p></p><p>Oh great. I don't think I've seen this since it came out and I'd love to see it again. It was released amidst Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's very public breakup, which added to the fascination with the film at the time, but without distracting from the film itself. I remember this cover back from when EW was my pop culture bible, only available in the UK from certain branches of Tower Records:</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]53640[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p></p><p>I'm pretty sure this movie (or possibly <em>Hannah and Her Sisters)</em> was the first time I heard the phrase "passive-aggressive". Either way, it was definitely aimed at Mia Farrow's character, and would have been applicable to Alison Mackenzie too. (It took about another ten years before I fully grasped the meaning of "passive-aggressive" and realised I was the walking talking definition of it.)</p><p></p><p>Yeah, like Michael Caine in <em>Hannah and Her Sisters</em>. As I said elsewhere, I love seeing British (or Irish, in the case of Neeson) actors doing Woody. I totally loved <em>Match Point</em>, which is completely set in London, for that reason. Everyone else seems to hate <em>Match Point</em>, like they hate <em>Die Another Day</em>, which I also love.</p><p></p><p>I used to think the <em>Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz</em> gang could be the new Carry On team, making an updated, slightly more prestigious equivalent of a much-loved earlier franchise - a bit like how New <em>Who</em> became a grander, shinier version of Old <em>Who</em>. But then maybe Simon Pegg became too big a star for that.</p><p></p><p>As I was reading your review, I was thinking how it might have dated. <em>Shaun of the Dead</em> and <em>Hot Fuzz</em> were from the same team who had made the massively successful '90s/00s sitcom <em>Spaced</em>, which was very zeitgeisty, but which I didn't get round to watching until <em>after</em> I'd seen the films and I realised I'd left it too late.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 403350, member: 22"] I read the original "novel" (well, it's more sort of an imaginary biography) written by John King, which was really great. John King also wrote [I]The[/I] [I]Football Factory[/I], a brilliant novel exploring the psychology of football hooliganism. [I]The Football Factory[/I] was made into a film too, by Nick Love, a director with a reputation for trashy ladsy exploitation flicks , so I avoided it at the time. but I'd be quite intrigued to see it now. Anyway, [I]Damned United da movie[/I] is inevitably less complicated than [I]Damned United da book[/I], but it's still really good. It's got that same slightly larger-than-life, not-quite-cartoony-but-almost style that a lot of recent-ish British films (and TV series) adopt when dealing with this country's recent history. When it works it, it works very well as it does here and in [I]Pride[/I] (film about the '80s miners strike) and [I]Nolly[/I], the mini-series about [I]Crossroads[/I]. When it doesn't work, it can feel like a cop-out or an over-sweetened pill (I didn't care for the very popular [I]Made in Dagenham[/I], about an all-female led strike in the late '60s, for that reason). Oh great. I don't think I've seen this since it came out and I'd love to see it again. It was released amidst Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's very public breakup, which added to the fascination with the film at the time, but without distracting from the film itself. I remember this cover back from when EW was my pop culture bible, only available in the UK from certain branches of Tower Records: [ATTACH type="full" alt="51isnXlndOL.jpg"]53640[/ATTACH] I'm pretty sure this movie (or possibly [I]Hannah and Her Sisters)[/I] was the first time I heard the phrase "passive-aggressive". Either way, it was definitely aimed at Mia Farrow's character, and would have been applicable to Alison Mackenzie too. (It took about another ten years before I fully grasped the meaning of "passive-aggressive" and realised I was the walking talking definition of it.) Yeah, like Michael Caine in [I]Hannah and Her Sisters[/I]. As I said elsewhere, I love seeing British (or Irish, in the case of Neeson) actors doing Woody. I totally loved [I]Match Point[/I], which is completely set in London, for that reason. Everyone else seems to hate [I]Match Point[/I], like they hate [I]Die Another Day[/I], which I also love. I used to think the [I]Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz[/I] gang could be the new Carry On team, making an updated, slightly more prestigious equivalent of a much-loved earlier franchise - a bit like how New [I]Who[/I] became a grander, shinier version of Old [I]Who[/I]. But then maybe Simon Pegg became too big a star for that. As I was reading your review, I was thinking how it might have dated. [I]Shaun of the Dead[/I] and [I]Hot Fuzz[/I] were from the same team who had made the massively successful '90s/00s sitcom [I]Spaced[/I], which was very zeitgeisty, but which I didn't get round to watching until [I]after[/I] I'd seen the films and I realised I'd left it too late. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top