Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 407411" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>He just popped up in my <em>Enders</em> re-watch as the male half of a teenage arranged marriage involving the show's first Pakistani family, the Karims. It's a screamingly obvious storyline to give an Asian family, but Warnecke elevates his small-ish role with the same charm and optimism that he exhibits in <em>My Beautiful Launderette</em>. This would have been in 1990, by which time, of course, Daniel Day Lewis was already a major film star in a way that Warnecke just couldn't be because that simply wasn't an option for Asian actors.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>His career benefitted hugely from <em>Launderette</em> coming out at the same time as <em>A Room With a View </em>(which I just loved), in which Lewis is pretty much unrecognisable as Helena Bonham Carter's socially awkward, slimily unappealing suitor. He'd been offered the romantic lead, but famously turned it down in favour of the smaller, more eccentric role. The contrast between his performances in the two films, coming as they did when he was a complete unknown as far as the public was concerned, pretty much sealed his reputation.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 407411, member: 22"] He just popped up in my [I]Enders[/I] re-watch as the male half of a teenage arranged marriage involving the show's first Pakistani family, the Karims. It's a screamingly obvious storyline to give an Asian family, but Warnecke elevates his small-ish role with the same charm and optimism that he exhibits in [I]My Beautiful Launderette[/I]. This would have been in 1990, by which time, of course, Daniel Day Lewis was already a major film star in a way that Warnecke just couldn't be because that simply wasn't an option for Asian actors. His career benefitted hugely from [I]Launderette[/I] coming out at the same time as [I]A Room With a View [/I](which I just loved), in which Lewis is pretty much unrecognisable as Helena Bonham Carter's socially awkward, slimily unappealing suitor. He'd been offered the romantic lead, but famously turned it down in favour of the smaller, more eccentric role. The contrast between his performances in the two films, coming as they did when he was a complete unknown as far as the public was concerned, pretty much sealed his reputation. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top