Which is your favourite Dallas season? And Why?

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
My personal favourite season of the show is season ten. I absolutely love the Wes Parmalee Jock Ewing storyline, the only thing which taints it is the lame ending because of the fan backlash. Watching poor Miss Ellie conflicted because of her emotions for Jock. This storyline impacted the entire cast of the show which is why it's so memorable. Not many storylines actually did that. Ray really wanted to believe he was Jock, so did Miss Ellie. You can even see the doubts on Bobby's face too. Even JR I felt had mixed opinions about him.

The B. D. Calhoun storyline was great too as was Sue Ellen's Valentine Lingerie storyline. Two of my favourites. I loved when JR said "My compliments Sue Ellen! That was brilliant!" after she aired the video to him of her being the force behind the company!

I was sad at the break up of Ray and Donna's marriage. Those two had something special but sadly because Susan Howard was a big supporter of Philip Capice that put Leonard Katzman's nose out of joint.

The only storyline which doesn't really do it for me was Jenna hooking up with Ray after Pam re-married Bobby. Jenna's constant whining did my head in, Charlie too. I wanted to slap Jenna on the occasions she was being nasty to Pam. Yeah maybe Pam shouldn't have asked Jenna to have the baby but give it to her. She was only trying to make the best of a bad situation. When Jenna confronted Bobby at Ewing Oil I really wanted to shake her! Jenna should've known that Bobby's true love was Pam! Just look at how beautiful the actress was, Victoria Principal was probably the most beautiful woman on the planet back in the 1980's.

It all culminated in Jeremy Wendell informing the Justice Department of Ewing Oil's terrorist activities with the dramatic loss of Ewing Oil in the season finale. However the most heart breaking scene for me was Pam's car accident with the tanker. I sat there in shock on the original airing! I had no idea that Victoria was leaving the show. Can you imagine how powerful that scene was on it's original airing.

One other small scene which I love is the scene just prior to the car accident. JR shouts at Wendell "You touch that painting & I'll kill you where you stand!" JR sadly takes down the portrait of Jock and showing it to John Ross he says "This Is Ewing Oil" and how true this is. Jock built that company from the ground up and JR will continue his Father's legacy.

All in all a great season and for the me the last great season of the show. It would never be the same without Victoria.

dallasseason10.jpg

Looking back at the season made me appreciate how good an actor Jim Davis was. The painting of him was pivotal in keeping the character's memory on the show. Steve Forrest was another great actor. Despite Steve not being able to stay on as Jock it does make us appreciate just how influential the character of Jock was and how his influence was still felt on the show.

Jock Ewing1a.jpg

Jock Ewing2d.jpg

Rest In Peace to both Jim Davis and Steve Forrest.

Attachments

• jim davis grave.jpg
    jim davis grave.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 34
  • steve forrest grave.jpg
    steve forrest grave.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My favorite is season 6 (DVD7). Strong from start to finish, great storylines all over the place:
- start after the Southfork fire
- gold canyon 340, Edgar Randolph, Sly spying for Cliff, JR orchestrating Cliff's downfall
- JR, SueEllen Peter
- Bobvy&Jenna, Pam Mark
- The best cast with all Ewings, Barnes es, Afton, Katherine, Mark... there
- a great finale with Bobby shot
- Miss Ellie, Clayton and Jessica Montford

On top of that the best hairdos, fashion, locations and cinematography.

What a ride.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 6 (DVD count) is my favourite. I think the whole season was brilliantly written and all the main characters had great storylines, including Lucy, and they were all interconnected by the battle for Ewing Oil after Jock's will was read.

Lucy - the Mickey Trotter storyline
Ellie - breaking Jock's will to stop the fight over Ewing Oil and her growing relationship with Clayton
Pam - the break up of her marriage to Bobby and siding with Bobby against Cliff over a Canadian oil deal
JR - illegally shipping oil from embargoed country
Sue Ellen - goes off the rails after finding out about JR's affair with Holly
Ray - being a mentor for Mickey
Donna - joining the energy commission puts her in conflict with JR
Cliff - joins the cartel and they collectively try to take on JR
Afton - sleeps with Bill Thurman to help Cliff
Rebecca - dies in plane crash while trying to help Cliff fight the Ewings
Clayton - in conflict with JR over the use of his oil refineries

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Seasons 3, 6, 7 and 10 (per DVD count).

S3 is the year DALLAS' identity is determined, concluding with JR getting shot.

S6 & 7 is the series' best two-year period, from Cliff's suicide attempt, Jock's will, thru Bobby's shooting.

S10 has the Shakespearean WesParmalee storyline, ending with Pam's hellacious crash.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 6 (1983-84) for me. As much as I hated Bobby and Pam’s divorce, it set up a terrific dynamic for the show, with both of them moving on to new partners despite still being in love. In addition to the main cast, this was the season when the “Also Starring” supporting cast was strongest. And the show looked gorgeous, thanks to Bradford May. This was also the last time Dallas ranked #1 for the overall season in the US Nielsen ratings.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think seasons 5 & 6 (DVD) are the two best seasons of the entire series but my personal favorite is 8 (DVD). I know this isn’t a popular opinion because of Donna Reed, Jenna’s never ending murder trial, Pam’s long search for Mark, the departures of Katherine and Afton, the introductions of Mandy, Jamie and Jack, etc, but Swan Song will always be my favorite episode. I know that episode, as great as it was, doesn’t undo a lot of the imperfections of that season. But to me all roads were leading to Bobby and Pam’s reunion, and we did get that for a moment. So that’s why it’s my favorite season despite its flaws.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My favorite is season 6 (DVD7)
Agreed. I can binge watch this season. Everyone had a hand in this season and JR was involved in it all. Who could forget his menacing presence when he discovered Peter might have been the father of the child Sue Ellen lost. I know many had issue with the coupling of Sue Ellen and Peter but whenever I rewatch this season I just allow this doomed relationship take its course...

This scene still holds up so well. You just knew something terrible was coming Sue Ellen and Peter's way and the restaurant scene involving the three was perfection. I thought the fight for Ewing Oil was brilliant but this season took Dallas to a whole different level. How I wish they were able to sustain it but unfortunately the moment the following season begins, the stench of behind the scene politics spilled over to the small screen.​

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know I’m in the minority, but really liked the 1984-85 season. I loved Pam and Sue Ellen’s trip to Hong Kong. I loved the Travilla designs. I loved Pam’s wild goose chase through the Caribbean, Gerald Kane’s slap and the confrontation with JR, I loved this Oil Baron’s Ball the best, I enjoyed Jenna being out of the way because of Catherine and Naldo and it had the best scenes ever of Pam and Bobby near the end of the season. And of course the best episode ever of the entire show, Swan Song. Yes it would’ve been better still if BBG was in it but overall, this season is my favourite. VP and PD really gave their most loving performances here. It was the end of Dallas as we knew it.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You might have guessed that your friend, the Lastkidpicked, would show up and stir things up with some controversy.

And you guessed right!

To many of us, the best season of Dallas was when Dallas wasn't even on the air!

It was the summer of 1980. The summer of Who Shot J.R.

If you are old enough to have been there, you know what I mean.

1627507948976.png

1980 was a rough time around the world. Layoffs, terrorist attacks, unibombers. Even day to day chores were made miserable by long traffic jams and long lines for just about anything.

We needed a distraction.

And Who Shot J.R. was definitely the distraction we needed!

Complete strangers had fun debating who shot J.R. People who had never seen the show promised to watch when it returned in the fall. People started looking forward to Dallas parties on Friday nights. It gave us something to talk about. Something to look forward to. Something FUN.

So, just to shake things up, I'll say my favorite season of Dallas was the summer in between seasons.

It was a helluva ride!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You might have guessed that your friend, the Lastkidpicked, would show up and stir things up with some controversy.

And you guessed right!

To many of us, the best season of Dallas was when Dallas wasn't even on the air!

It was the summer of 1980. The summer of Who Shot J.R.

If you are old enough to have been there, you know what I mean.

View attachment 29020

1980 was a rough time around the world. Layoffs, terrorist attacks, unibombers. Even day to day chores were made miserable by long traffic jams and long lines for just about anything.

We needed a distraction.

And Who Shot J.R. was definitely the distraction we needed!

Complete strangers had fun debating who shot J.R. People who had never seen the show promised to watch when it returned in the fall. People started looking forward to Dallas parties on Friday nights. It gave us something to talk about. Something to look forward to. Something FUN.

So, just to shake things up, I'll say my favorite season of Dallas was the summer in between seasons.

It was a helluva ride!
We could use something like that now. Something fun,unifying, and on the level of Dallas at it's best.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's a phantom Season 13 (per DVD count) floating around out there somewhere -- one that should have been one of the great years, and yet wasn't quite. The one with the Exxon-Valdez-esque tanker accident, with Lady Jessica's murder spree taken far more seriously.

But no one's seen it, except in that projection room inside my head.