Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
“Welcome to Summer Bay”: Rewatching the early years.
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="trialanderror" data-source="post: 242281" data-attributes="member: 15448"><p>I totally agree about Roo. She could be anyone. And I'd extend that to Martha too. What was the point of making her Martha if they weren't going to use that history? She might as well just be a new person. What was the point of writing into the "story" that Alf had known all along? Surely that's AVOIDING a story. Having Alf and Roo find out onscreen could have been his biggest story for years. And if they had explored the history it could really have helped connect "NewRoo" to the original Roo in the audience's minds. The only result (if you can call it that) of having Alf know all along was that there was, very briefly, a little friction between Alf and Roo. But during that friction all that happened was Roo moved out for a while. Nothing was talked about. Nothing was explored. So again, what was the point? Any avenue that could have resulted in actual STORY was avoided at all costs.</p><p></p><p>I honestly believe the current producers, writers etc are just terrified to touch anything relating to the history of the show because they don't know what they're doing. And they get so much wrong. So rather than get it wrong (or, you know, hire people who know the show) they just avoid everything and anything related to continuity and history.</p><p></p><p>I remember during this story Marilyn said to Roo "I can't just imagine finding out your mother is alive after thinking she was dead."</p><p>MARILYN said that.</p><p>A character who FOUND OUT HER MOTHER WAS ALIVE AFTER THINKING SHE WAS DEAD.</p><p></p><p>It's just dreadful. I know every long running soap in the world has fans who lament that they're not as good as they used to be, changed too much etc. But I honestly think H&A is by far the worst, it - like Roo - is Home and Away in name only. It's a successful brand name that comes complete with ready-made audience, for a completely different show.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="trialanderror, post: 242281, member: 15448"] I totally agree about Roo. She could be anyone. And I'd extend that to Martha too. What was the point of making her Martha if they weren't going to use that history? She might as well just be a new person. What was the point of writing into the "story" that Alf had known all along? Surely that's AVOIDING a story. Having Alf and Roo find out onscreen could have been his biggest story for years. And if they had explored the history it could really have helped connect "NewRoo" to the original Roo in the audience's minds. The only result (if you can call it that) of having Alf know all along was that there was, very briefly, a little friction between Alf and Roo. But during that friction all that happened was Roo moved out for a while. Nothing was talked about. Nothing was explored. So again, what was the point? Any avenue that could have resulted in actual STORY was avoided at all costs. I honestly believe the current producers, writers etc are just terrified to touch anything relating to the history of the show because they don't know what they're doing. And they get so much wrong. So rather than get it wrong (or, you know, hire people who know the show) they just avoid everything and anything related to continuity and history. I remember during this story Marilyn said to Roo "I can't just imagine finding out your mother is alive after thinking she was dead." MARILYN said that. A character who FOUND OUT HER MOTHER WAS ALIVE AFTER THINKING SHE WAS DEAD. It's just dreadful. I know every long running soap in the world has fans who lament that they're not as good as they used to be, changed too much etc. But I honestly think H&A is by far the worst, it - like Roo - is Home and Away in name only. It's a successful brand name that comes complete with ready-made audience, for a completely different show. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
“Welcome to Summer Bay”: Rewatching the early years.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top