Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 365778" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Now I've read your comments about <em>Brookie</em> playing its stories out in real time over long periods I can't help tying this in with that and wonder if changing perspective was partly to keep the story live without burnout (or would that be too close to following the soap rules?).</p><p></p><p>I really did enjoy the perspective of seeing the funeral objectively through the eyes of people who are mostly removed from the situation and tied to Petra only through happening to live on the same street. It helped drive home the disparate, isolated pockets of characters contained within the series at that point. Five or six months down the line and the dynamics have changed already, as I'm sure they will continue to do. But we're still seeing a good number of scenes through net curtains, sometimes with commentary.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>This week I watched a scene where Karen and Ducksie were sat enjoying the sun on the muddy grass in front of the Grants' house. Lucy walked by, followed by Paul. Polite exchanges were made in both cases ("Hiya.", "Nice day", "Yeah", etc.) but they all had their own stuff going on (Karen and Ducksie were nattering about teen stuff. Lucy had just stormed out of the house after an angry exchange with her parents) which each neighbour was oblivious to. As well as giving the sense of distance that's still there between neighbours - with exchanges differing depending on whether they're public (in front of neighbours) or private (behind closed doors with immediate family) - I've realised it's also a nice example of the continuing scenes you were saying about. There was no sense of cutting away - we simply saw the same thing from a different perspective. Just as we had with Gavin's funeral. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I can't wait! There's so little I remember about early <em>Brookie</em> that it mostly feels brand new to me, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this sustained showdown, how this comes about and the fallout.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>As I watched, I wasn't quite sure how to feel about it. Objectively it seemed a little cheesy, but in the moment it made its point perfectly. I also found it weirdly meta that Michelle later described what Petra had experienced as being "like a flashback in a film". Which, bizarrely, gave more depth to the situation and made it feel even more truthful.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I quite like that I'm not quite sure about it. But if it <em>was</em> engineered, I also find it psychologically interesting to think that Petra was possibly as unaware of this as anyone.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh yes. I neglected to mention it, I think, but that was a lovely sequence that practically had me squirming with the awkwardness.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Interesting.</p><p></p><p>Weirdly, as I read this, four affairs in 350 episodes sounded a lot. Then I realised it's probably something like three-and-a-half years. And as I write, I'm realising that this is about the same number as episodes that <em>Dallas</em> or <em>Knots</em> had in their entirety, and it <u><em>really</em></u> doesn't sound like a lot.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I think you're spot on, James. It's a bit of a curse to rewatch a series knowing where a characters' journey takes them long term, but I completely agree that Gordon is far more interesting as a teen with idiosyncrasies without explanation.</p><p></p><p>I don't know (or at least remember) much of the background. Somewhere at the back of my mind I'm remembering (or imagining) that part of the reason for the recast was to age Gordon up a bit to make the coming out story more palatable to audiences of the time (or perhaps to give the meatier story to a more experienced actor), but I'm also thinking that for <em>Brookie's</em> first few years there was no plan for Gordon to be gay and I'm enjoying it on this level.</p><p></p><p>The Chandler reference has made me wonder if there was ever any speculation about Gordon's sexuality from viewers in the early years?</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, and I suppose both have that Colonel Blimp quality as well, which frequently seems to come with a wired-in tendency to look back on the good old days.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 365778, member: 23"] Now I've read your comments about [I]Brookie[/I] playing its stories out in real time over long periods I can't help tying this in with that and wonder if changing perspective was partly to keep the story live without burnout (or would that be too close to following the soap rules?). I really did enjoy the perspective of seeing the funeral objectively through the eyes of people who are mostly removed from the situation and tied to Petra only through happening to live on the same street. It helped drive home the disparate, isolated pockets of characters contained within the series at that point. Five or six months down the line and the dynamics have changed already, as I'm sure they will continue to do. But we're still seeing a good number of scenes through net curtains, sometimes with commentary. This week I watched a scene where Karen and Ducksie were sat enjoying the sun on the muddy grass in front of the Grants' house. Lucy walked by, followed by Paul. Polite exchanges were made in both cases ("Hiya.", "Nice day", "Yeah", etc.) but they all had their own stuff going on (Karen and Ducksie were nattering about teen stuff. Lucy had just stormed out of the house after an angry exchange with her parents) which each neighbour was oblivious to. As well as giving the sense of distance that's still there between neighbours - with exchanges differing depending on whether they're public (in front of neighbours) or private (behind closed doors with immediate family) - I've realised it's also a nice example of the continuing scenes you were saying about. There was no sense of cutting away - we simply saw the same thing from a different perspective. Just as we had with Gavin's funeral. I can't wait! There's so little I remember about early [I]Brookie[/I] that it mostly feels brand new to me, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this sustained showdown, how this comes about and the fallout. As I watched, I wasn't quite sure how to feel about it. Objectively it seemed a little cheesy, but in the moment it made its point perfectly. I also found it weirdly meta that Michelle later described what Petra had experienced as being "like a flashback in a film". Which, bizarrely, gave more depth to the situation and made it feel even more truthful. I quite like that I'm not quite sure about it. But if it [I]was[/I] engineered, I also find it psychologically interesting to think that Petra was possibly as unaware of this as anyone. Oh yes. I neglected to mention it, I think, but that was a lovely sequence that practically had me squirming with the awkwardness. Interesting. Weirdly, as I read this, four affairs in 350 episodes sounded a lot. Then I realised it's probably something like three-and-a-half years. And as I write, I'm realising that this is about the same number as episodes that [I]Dallas[/I] or [I]Knots[/I] had in their entirety, and it [U][I]really[/I][/U] doesn't sound like a lot. I think you're spot on, James. It's a bit of a curse to rewatch a series knowing where a characters' journey takes them long term, but I completely agree that Gordon is far more interesting as a teen with idiosyncrasies without explanation. I don't know (or at least remember) much of the background. Somewhere at the back of my mind I'm remembering (or imagining) that part of the reason for the recast was to age Gordon up a bit to make the coming out story more palatable to audiences of the time (or perhaps to give the meatier story to a more experienced actor), but I'm also thinking that for [I]Brookie's[/I] first few years there was no plan for Gordon to be gay and I'm enjoying it on this level. The Chandler reference has made me wonder if there was ever any speculation about Gordon's sexuality from viewers in the early years? Yes, and I suppose both have that Colonel Blimp quality as well, which frequently seems to come with a wired-in tendency to look back on the good old days. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top