Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 436462" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>Yeah, I found it pretty unputdownable.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Me too. I especially liked that I agreed with pretty much everything he said. However, he's admirably even-handed in his approach. Despite his reservations about the Jordache storyline, I appreciated him pointing out some of the nuances in the family dynamic. I also found his point about the "othering" of Trevor Jordache, even down to him speaking with a different accent to the rest of the characters, fascinating. <em>Enders</em> later did the exact same thing with its equivalent wife-beating rapist (another Trevor, husband of Little Mo) only this time he was Scottish not Irish. (If you haven't already, I recommend checking out his other videos as well. Regardless of how familiar or not one is with the storylines, his accounts of the <em>Emmerdale</em> plane crash, the returns of Den Watts and Bet Lynch, and the depiction of Hayley Cropper from a present-day perspective are all worth a watch).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>How could anyone?</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>It might be worth reading alongside Ricky Tomlinson's, in which he takes Redmond to task over a few things. Evidently, they managed to call a truce long enough to exist in the same close at the same time during <em>Hollyside</em>.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Godspeed and I'll be fascinated to hear your findings! I'll probably return to the beginning once Sheila and Billy head off to Basingstoke,.</p><p></p><p>I remember feeling the same way about the Jordache storyline as yer man on the video: I <em>wanted</em> to like it as much as everyone else did, I felt like I <em>should</em> like it, but I fundamentally couldn't believe in it, because this was <em>Brookside.</em> and there was just something fundamentally contrived and untruthful and just ... <em>bland</em> about the soapy approach to the story. Also, I felt the combination of truly horrific subject matter -- domestic violence, incestuous rape, child abuse -- and the titillating way it was presented: dragged out as long as possible to ensure high ratings, advertisements on billboards, etc -- was queasily hypocritical and not a little misogynist. The first issue of the shortlived <em>Brookside</em> magazine, for instance, featured a doe-eyed, red-lipsticked Beth Jordache pouting in a crown of thorns*. Who says incest survival can't be sexy?</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]58435[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>The <em>TVTimes</em> did something equally questionable eight years later when it had <em>Enders</em>' equivalent wife-beating rapistTrevor posing on its cover like so, blurring the lines between the reality of domestic violence which the soaps purported to depict and funtime panto villainy:</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]58436[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>If memory serves, the very first Soap Awards featured a fun Villain of the Year category and all the nominees were male characters who'd beaten up women and no-one seemed to bat an eyelid!</p><p></p><p><span style="font-size: 12px">*Ah, on closer inspection it looks like ivy rather than thorns. So I guess the effect they were going for was more Sexy Ophelia than Sexy Jesus.</span></p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 436462, member: 22"] Yeah, I found it pretty unputdownable. Me too. I especially liked that I agreed with pretty much everything he said. However, he's admirably even-handed in his approach. Despite his reservations about the Jordache storyline, I appreciated him pointing out some of the nuances in the family dynamic. I also found his point about the "othering" of Trevor Jordache, even down to him speaking with a different accent to the rest of the characters, fascinating. [I]Enders[/I] later did the exact same thing with its equivalent wife-beating rapist (another Trevor, husband of Little Mo) only this time he was Scottish not Irish. (If you haven't already, I recommend checking out his other videos as well. Regardless of how familiar or not one is with the storylines, his accounts of the [I]Emmerdale[/I] plane crash, the returns of Den Watts and Bet Lynch, and the depiction of Hayley Cropper from a present-day perspective are all worth a watch). How could anyone? It might be worth reading alongside Ricky Tomlinson's, in which he takes Redmond to task over a few things. Evidently, they managed to call a truce long enough to exist in the same close at the same time during [I]Hollyside[/I]. Godspeed and I'll be fascinated to hear your findings! I'll probably return to the beginning once Sheila and Billy head off to Basingstoke,. I remember feeling the same way about the Jordache storyline as yer man on the video: I [I]wanted[/I] to like it as much as everyone else did, I felt like I [I]should[/I] like it, but I fundamentally couldn't believe in it, because this was [I]Brookside.[/I] and there was just something fundamentally contrived and untruthful and just ... [I]bland[/I] about the soapy approach to the story. Also, I felt the combination of truly horrific subject matter -- domestic violence, incestuous rape, child abuse -- and the titillating way it was presented: dragged out as long as possible to ensure high ratings, advertisements on billboards, etc -- was queasily hypocritical and not a little misogynist. The first issue of the shortlived [I]Brookside[/I] magazine, for instance, featured a doe-eyed, red-lipsticked Beth Jordache pouting in a crown of thorns*. Who says incest survival can't be sexy? [ATTACH type="full" alt="660x914.jpg"]58435[/ATTACH] The [I]TVTimes[/I] did something equally questionable eight years later when it had [I]Enders[/I]' equivalent wife-beating rapistTrevor posing on its cover like so, blurring the lines between the reality of domestic violence which the soaps purported to depict and funtime panto villainy: [ATTACH type="full" alt="245x313.jpg"]58436[/ATTACH] If memory serves, the very first Soap Awards featured a fun Villain of the Year category and all the nominees were male characters who'd beaten up women and no-one seemed to bat an eyelid! [SIZE=3]*Ah, on closer inspection it looks like ivy rather than thorns. So I guess the effect they were going for was more Sexy Ophelia than Sexy Jesus.[/SIZE] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top