Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Forgotten Classics
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Carrie Fairchild" data-source="post: 402657" data-attributes="member: 673"><p>The examples I’m using here are British but this could be films from any country or era. I’m talking about films that would’ve made a splash at the time of their release but rarely get a rerun on TV / featured in a streaming service / talked about these days.</p><p></p><p><strong>Letter to Brezhnev (1985)</strong>: this is one of those great “<em>Thatcher’s Britain</em>” films that captured working class life at the time. It reviewed well when it premiered and was a staple of Channel 4 (who funded the film) in the 80’s/90’s but it rarely gets a mention these days and I can’t recall the last time I saw it on TV. By comparison, <em>Rita, Sue & Bob Too</em>, which came out around the same is repeated regularly on TV and pops up on streaming services like Channel 4 and Mubi.</p><p></p><p><strong>Scandal (1989):</strong> based on the notorious Profumo Affair, it had a great cast (Bridget Fonda, Joanne Whalley, John Hurt, Ian McKellan), a great music theme (Dusty Springfield produced by Pet Shop Boys) and great reviews. Yet, like Letter to Brezhnev, it rarely surfaces on TV or streaming at all these days.</p><p></p><p>What are your forgotten classics?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Carrie Fairchild, post: 402657, member: 673"] The examples I’m using here are British but this could be films from any country or era. I’m talking about films that would’ve made a splash at the time of their release but rarely get a rerun on TV / featured in a streaming service / talked about these days. [B]Letter to Brezhnev (1985)[/B]: this is one of those great “[I]Thatcher’s Britain[/I]” films that captured working class life at the time. It reviewed well when it premiered and was a staple of Channel 4 (who funded the film) in the 80’s/90’s but it rarely gets a mention these days and I can’t recall the last time I saw it on TV. By comparison, [I]Rita, Sue & Bob Too[/I], which came out around the same is repeated regularly on TV and pops up on streaming services like Channel 4 and Mubi. [B]Scandal (1989):[/B] based on the notorious Profumo Affair, it had a great cast (Bridget Fonda, Joanne Whalley, John Hurt, Ian McKellan), a great music theme (Dusty Springfield produced by Pet Shop Boys) and great reviews. Yet, like Letter to Brezhnev, it rarely surfaces on TV or streaming at all these days. What are your forgotten classics? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Forgotten Classics
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top