Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
French Miniseries
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Monzo" data-source="post: 439829" data-attributes="member: 19949"><p>I think the advantage of the miniseries is that, at the time of its production, the case was legally closed, allowing the creators to delve into the character of the murderer (who, incidentally, is portrayed superbly by Yannick Choirat); by contrast, "L'homme qu'on aimait trop" (2014)—released before a conviction had been reached—could not explore the subject with such depth, though, of course, Catherine Deneuve never disappoints.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I haven't actually watched "Ainsi Soient-ils" at all yet. It was only in recent years that I discovered French television has a fair amount to offer that appeals to me—initially through daily soaps "Plus belle la vie" and "Un si grand soleil", then through miniseries, and now increasingly through primetime dramas as well. Only now am I getting around to watching acclaimed series like "Engrenages" and "Les Hommes de l'ombre"; "Ainsi Soient-ils" is another one on my list that I intend to watch eventually. Before my rediscovery of French television fiction, my impression of French television was largely shaped by shows such as "Sous le soleil" or the French miniseries produced for summer programming starting in the 1980s—under the label "Saga de l'été"—none of which, however, particularly appealed to me.</p><p></p><p>I had never heard of "Romanzo Criminale" before, but I do think Italy has long had a strong television market, offering a wide range of content—from light fare like "Don Matteo" to weightier dramas like "La Piovra". Italy was also an early player in the miniseries genre; I look back fondly on miniseries like "Sandokan" and "Cenerentola '80".</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Monzo, post: 439829, member: 19949"] I think the advantage of the miniseries is that, at the time of its production, the case was legally closed, allowing the creators to delve into the character of the murderer (who, incidentally, is portrayed superbly by Yannick Choirat); by contrast, "L'homme qu'on aimait trop" (2014)—released before a conviction had been reached—could not explore the subject with such depth, though, of course, Catherine Deneuve never disappoints. I haven't actually watched "Ainsi Soient-ils" at all yet. It was only in recent years that I discovered French television has a fair amount to offer that appeals to me—initially through daily soaps "Plus belle la vie" and "Un si grand soleil", then through miniseries, and now increasingly through primetime dramas as well. Only now am I getting around to watching acclaimed series like "Engrenages" and "Les Hommes de l'ombre"; "Ainsi Soient-ils" is another one on my list that I intend to watch eventually. Before my rediscovery of French television fiction, my impression of French television was largely shaped by shows such as "Sous le soleil" or the French miniseries produced for summer programming starting in the 1980s—under the label "Saga de l'été"—none of which, however, particularly appealed to me. I had never heard of "Romanzo Criminale" before, but I do think Italy has long had a strong television market, offering a wide range of content—from light fare like "Don Matteo" to weightier dramas like "La Piovra". Italy was also an early player in the miniseries genre; I look back fondly on miniseries like "Sandokan" and "Cenerentola '80". [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
French Miniseries
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top