Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 216192" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>And so I did.</p><p>It does look like a gritty crime version of a Jacqueline Susann story, but to simply label it as "sleaze" wouldn't do this movie justice.</p><p>The movie has a great start: a beautiful intro theme, followed by Sal Mineo touching his almost naked body, a sequence that - even by today's movie standards - looks remarkably erotic, followed by an hysterical staircase moment that made me laugh out loud.</p><p>So far, so good.</p><p></p><p>I'm not a movie expert by any means, and maybe I've been reading too much into it, but I felt overwhelmed by the depiction of the American zeitgeist in the 1960s.</p><p>The perversion, corruption and desctruction of beauty that clashes with the prosperity and wholesomeness that America always seemed to have aspired.</p><p>Or maybe the glorification of that decay, or a satirical approach of that glorification...I don't know.</p><p></p><p>I wouldn't say that this a complete new concept, Grace Metalious had already confronted America with their wicked sins, but when those sins are materialized through the commercialization of the adult industry it becomes a slightly different thing.</p><p>This movie appears to pinpoint that transition period since the cop character still represents the old-school camp that deems that very industry as a sickness, an invasion of perverse aliens.</p><p>But oddly enough it made Lawrence, the predator character, more human and likeable.</p><p></p><p>Great music and dance scenes, but when Sal Mineo starts to shake his most appealing hips so well displayed in those tight pants, it kind of becomes something else.</p><p>Combined with the dialogue before that, it reminded me the old tribes in Africa and how they used to "dance the Devil out of their system".</p><p></p><p>In the chase sequence at the end of the movie I expected Sal Mineo to run into the world of Technicolor - Rocky meets Taxi Driver.</p><p></p><p>I'm probably getting facts wrong here so maybe my impression of this movie doesn't make sense at all. I can only say what this movie did to me, and I liked it very, very much.</p><p>Excellent performances throughout, something worth mentioning, I think.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 216192, member: 8"] And so I did. It does look like a gritty crime version of a Jacqueline Susann story, but to simply label it as "sleaze" wouldn't do this movie justice. The movie has a great start: a beautiful intro theme, followed by Sal Mineo touching his almost naked body, a sequence that - even by today's movie standards - looks remarkably erotic, followed by an hysterical staircase moment that made me laugh out loud. So far, so good. I'm not a movie expert by any means, and maybe I've been reading too much into it, but I felt overwhelmed by the depiction of the American zeitgeist in the 1960s. The perversion, corruption and desctruction of beauty that clashes with the prosperity and wholesomeness that America always seemed to have aspired. Or maybe the glorification of that decay, or a satirical approach of that glorification...I don't know. I wouldn't say that this a complete new concept, Grace Metalious had already confronted America with their wicked sins, but when those sins are materialized through the commercialization of the adult industry it becomes a slightly different thing. This movie appears to pinpoint that transition period since the cop character still represents the old-school camp that deems that very industry as a sickness, an invasion of perverse aliens. But oddly enough it made Lawrence, the predator character, more human and likeable. Great music and dance scenes, but when Sal Mineo starts to shake his most appealing hips so well displayed in those tight pants, it kind of becomes something else. Combined with the dialogue before that, it reminded me the old tribes in Africa and how they used to "dance the Devil out of their system". In the chase sequence at the end of the movie I expected Sal Mineo to run into the world of Technicolor - Rocky meets Taxi Driver. I'm probably getting facts wrong here so maybe my impression of this movie doesn't make sense at all. I can only say what this movie did to me, and I liked it very, very much. Excellent performances throughout, something worth mentioning, I think. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top