Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 313261" data-attributes="member: 7"><p style="text-align: justify">Miriam Hopkins seemed tailor-made for the genre, or at least what I know of her has lead me to that assumption.</p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">Yeah, the genre was long past its heyday and what movies could generously be called Grande Dame Guignol were trash and not any good. Long gone was the "prestige" and mainstream appeal of vehicles like BABY JANE and CHARLOTTE.</p><p></p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">I was personally unaware for years that Miriam Hopkins indulged herself in the genre. I now wish I had never found out. </p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">You're right. A lot of former movie queens were drug -- or, in some cases, leaped -- out of retirement to make these movies. Too bad all of them didn't share the outcome of DeHavilland when Robert Aldrich persuaded her away from Switzerland to save CHARLOTTE from getting canned. </p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">And that's saying something. TROG is shlocky trash as well. Poor Joan, she deserved a stronger swan song, but the chances of that were gone. </p><p></p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">Yeah, it might not have been half-bad if Trog -- the character -- didn't consist of a poor actor in a very unconvincing and tacky costume. </p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 313261, member: 7"] [JUSTIFY]Miriam Hopkins seemed tailor-made for the genre, or at least what I know of her has lead me to that assumption.[/JUSTIFY] [JUSTIFY]Yeah, the genre was long past its heyday and what movies could generously be called Grande Dame Guignol were trash and not any good. Long gone was the "prestige" and mainstream appeal of vehicles like BABY JANE and CHARLOTTE.[/JUSTIFY] [JUSTIFY]I was personally unaware for years that Miriam Hopkins indulged herself in the genre. I now wish I had never found out. [/JUSTIFY] [JUSTIFY]You're right. A lot of former movie queens were drug -- or, in some cases, leaped -- out of retirement to make these movies. Too bad all of them didn't share the outcome of DeHavilland when Robert Aldrich persuaded her away from Switzerland to save CHARLOTTE from getting canned. [/JUSTIFY] [JUSTIFY]And that's saying something. TROG is shlocky trash as well. Poor Joan, she deserved a stronger swan song, but the chances of that were gone. [/JUSTIFY] [JUSTIFY]Yeah, it might not have been half-bad if Trog -- the character -- didn't consist of a poor actor in a very unconvincing and tacky costume. [/JUSTIFY] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top