Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 313268" data-attributes="member: 7"><p style="text-align: justify">I watched WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE? last night for the first time. I can't tell you all how many times I've watched the trailer for this film, and how I've eagerly awaited the time I'd finally get to watch it. The trailer had my geared up for a good, tension-filled outing. And with Geraldine Page at the helm, I just knew it had to be good.</p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">I'll just say it right off the bat: AUNT ALICE isn't quite what I expected. Now, I want it made clear that I did enjoy this movie, and I thought it was really one of the better hagsploitation-type movies ushered out in rapid succession in the early-to-late-'60s. Geraldine Page stars as Mrs. Marrable, who, at the beginning of the film, is mourning the death of her husband. Once she finds out (or thinks she's found out) that her husband left her broke, she flees to Arizona, where she gets into a mess when several of her housekeepers mysteriously vanish. Ruth Gordon comes aboard as Mrs. Dimmick -- the revealed "Aunt Alice" of the piece -- and takes a job as Mrs. Marrable's newest housekeeper.</p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">I can honestly say that this movie had me going for a little bit. I wasn't entirely sure where everything was going to go. With Aunt Alice -- or Ruth Gordon more specifically -- being the titular character, I generally assumed that she'd be the lady going crazy in the story. That assumption was wrong, because it Geraldine Page as the increasingly unbalanced Mrs. Marrable that takes that cake. So, yeah, that part of my mind was blown.</p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">I don't want to say anything more about the plot, just in case there are any of you that would like to eventually watch this movie. If the twists aren't spoiled for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it better, especially the first go-around.</p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">AUNT ALICE was a good movie. I was somewhat weary that I'd be put off if the movie turned too gory or bloody, but nothing too severe is ever shown. I was also worried that I'd be dissatisfied because the movie was in color instead of the spookier B&W. The performances here are quite good, although Geraldine Page seems a little miscast as an aging woman (she was only in her early-40s at the time this was shot). But if you didn't know she was younger, you wouldn't know. Yeah, her performance is that good. </p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">If you haven't seen AUNT ALICE, I'd urge you to do so. It is currently uploaded in its entirety You-Know-Where.</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]34716[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]34717[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p style="text-align: justify">It's practically inevitable not to compare AUNT ALICE to the genre-starting BABY JANE. In comparison, I'd argue that AUNT ALICE holds up nicely to the original, but yet lacks some of the creepiness. I'd put AUNT ALICE near the top of my list of favorite hag horrors, or at least in the Top 4 so far.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 313268, member: 7"] [JUSTIFY]I watched WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE? last night for the first time. I can't tell you all how many times I've watched the trailer for this film, and how I've eagerly awaited the time I'd finally get to watch it. The trailer had my geared up for a good, tension-filled outing. And with Geraldine Page at the helm, I just knew it had to be good. I'll just say it right off the bat: AUNT ALICE isn't quite what I expected. Now, I want it made clear that I did enjoy this movie, and I thought it was really one of the better hagsploitation-type movies ushered out in rapid succession in the early-to-late-'60s. Geraldine Page stars as Mrs. Marrable, who, at the beginning of the film, is mourning the death of her husband. Once she finds out (or thinks she's found out) that her husband left her broke, she flees to Arizona, where she gets into a mess when several of her housekeepers mysteriously vanish. Ruth Gordon comes aboard as Mrs. Dimmick -- the revealed "Aunt Alice" of the piece -- and takes a job as Mrs. Marrable's newest housekeeper. I can honestly say that this movie had me going for a little bit. I wasn't entirely sure where everything was going to go. With Aunt Alice -- or Ruth Gordon more specifically -- being the titular character, I generally assumed that she'd be the lady going crazy in the story. That assumption was wrong, because it Geraldine Page as the increasingly unbalanced Mrs. Marrable that takes that cake. So, yeah, that part of my mind was blown. I don't want to say anything more about the plot, just in case there are any of you that would like to eventually watch this movie. If the twists aren't spoiled for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it better, especially the first go-around. AUNT ALICE was a good movie. I was somewhat weary that I'd be put off if the movie turned too gory or bloody, but nothing too severe is ever shown. I was also worried that I'd be dissatisfied because the movie was in color instead of the spookier B&W. The performances here are quite good, although Geraldine Page seems a little miscast as an aging woman (she was only in her early-40s at the time this was shot). But if you didn't know she was younger, you wouldn't know. Yeah, her performance is that good. If you haven't seen AUNT ALICE, I'd urge you to do so. It is currently uploaded in its entirety You-Know-Where.[/JUSTIFY] [ATTACH type="full" width="484px" alt="1643381281480.png"]34716[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" width="484px" alt="1643381334420.png"]34717[/ATTACH] [JUSTIFY]It's practically inevitable not to compare AUNT ALICE to the genre-starting BABY JANE. In comparison, I'd argue that AUNT ALICE holds up nicely to the original, but yet lacks some of the creepiness. I'd put AUNT ALICE near the top of my list of favorite hag horrors, or at least in the Top 4 so far.[/JUSTIFY] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top