Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 313822" data-attributes="member: 7"><p style="text-align: justify">I watched WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO? (or sometimes called WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO? for U.S. releases) for the first time this past Saturday. It offers actress Shelley Winters' second venture into the psycho-biddy sub-genre, with the first being WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? I actually have both movies on a double feature DVD set.</p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">AUNTIE ROO is basically a modernized (of the early-'70s at least) version of the old Hansel & Gretel story. Rosie "Auntie Roo" Forrest (Winters) is a wealthy American widow living in England. She hosts large Christmas parties for children from a nearby orphanage. One Christmas, she takes a special liking to a young girl named Katy (Chloe Franks), who bares a striking resemblance to her dead daughter (a daughter Roo still tries to communicate with through seances, and who she... ummm... I won't spoil it for you). But Katy's older brother, Christopher (Mark Lester), is very suspicious of Auntie Roo and declares her witch. </p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">I won't spoil the rest of the story for you, y'know, just in case you want to watch it. </p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">AUNTIE ROO was an enjoyable little movie. It progressed nicely and I thought the acting and story was good. Shelley Winters is very good at playing crazy, probably better than Bette Davis or Joan Crawford. Winters aligns stronger with the more derogatory "psycho-biddy" sub-genre. She seems to be a natural at playing older, slightly crazy women. </p> <p style="text-align: justify"></p> <p style="text-align: justify">AUNTIE ROO is a good movie, but it definitely shows that the genre was slowly dying out. The budget is apparently low, but the production seems to make the most of what it has. I'd argue the story is good -- if also predictable and a little dated -- and that Winters and the remainder of the cast turn in good performances. Even though Auntie Roo was a little nutty and deserved some sort of punishment, I don't think she deserved the fate she got in the final scenes. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]34833[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>AUNTIE ROO would make a double feature with WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? which stars Winters and Debbie Reynolds.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 313822, member: 7"] [JUSTIFY]I watched WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO? (or sometimes called WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO? for U.S. releases) for the first time this past Saturday. It offers actress Shelley Winters' second venture into the psycho-biddy sub-genre, with the first being WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? I actually have both movies on a double feature DVD set. AUNTIE ROO is basically a modernized (of the early-'70s at least) version of the old Hansel & Gretel story. Rosie "Auntie Roo" Forrest (Winters) is a wealthy American widow living in England. She hosts large Christmas parties for children from a nearby orphanage. One Christmas, she takes a special liking to a young girl named Katy (Chloe Franks), who bares a striking resemblance to her dead daughter (a daughter Roo still tries to communicate with through seances, and who she... ummm... I won't spoil it for you). But Katy's older brother, Christopher (Mark Lester), is very suspicious of Auntie Roo and declares her witch. I won't spoil the rest of the story for you, y'know, just in case you want to watch it. AUNTIE ROO was an enjoyable little movie. It progressed nicely and I thought the acting and story was good. Shelley Winters is very good at playing crazy, probably better than Bette Davis or Joan Crawford. Winters aligns stronger with the more derogatory "psycho-biddy" sub-genre. She seems to be a natural at playing older, slightly crazy women. AUNTIE ROO is a good movie, but it definitely shows that the genre was slowly dying out. The budget is apparently low, but the production seems to make the most of what it has. I'd argue the story is good -- if also predictable and a little dated -- and that Winters and the remainder of the cast turn in good performances. Even though Auntie Roo was a little nutty and deserved some sort of punishment, I don't think she deserved the fate she got in the final scenes. [/JUSTIFY] [ATTACH type="full" width="456px"]34833[/ATTACH] AUNTIE ROO would make a double feature with WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? which stars Winters and Debbie Reynolds. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top