Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 390468" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>I watched FANATIC (otherwise known as DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! for the American market) tonight on Tubi.</p><p></p><p>This thriller stars Tallulah Bankhead as Mrs. Trefoile, a suppressed religious fanatic (which is where the British title comes from) who is morbidly obsessed by the death of her son, Steven. Mrs. Trefoile is unhinged and takes the locking up Steven's would-be wife Patricia (Stefanie Powers) in her attic when she comes to England for a visit.</p><p></p><p>I found FANATIC to be a good movie, and I'd say it's a good representation of the "grande dame guignol" genre. The fact the movie is in color doesn't bother me, and I thought several parts of the story were quite creepy. This a Hammer production (as was Davis' THE NANNY, filmed in B&W and also released in 1965), and the studio's fingerprint is prevalent.</p><p></p><p>FANATIC can get a little long-winded, and perhaps had a good 20 minutes been shaved off, the movie would've been a tad more impressionable.</p><p></p><p>This is probably Tallulah's finest on-screen performance as an actress (even though Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT is right up there, too), as she really seems to slide into the character of Mrs. Trefoile without her typical "Tallulah" mannerisms. I recall Bankhead plugging the movie during her appearance on WHAT'S MY LINE? in 1965.</p><p></p><p>I think the movie plays better when titled FANATIC, but the version I watched tonight was called DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! American exhibitors retitled the movie for U.S. audiences to cash-in on Bankhead's "darling" over usage, a fact often played for laughs by those impersonating her. There's also a line towards the end of the film where Mrs. Trefoile says to Patricia, "You must die. Die! Die! My darling." So, I guess they can say that's where the U.S. retitle came from as well.</p><p></p><p>As I said, this movie is currently free on Tubi. If you're interested, go and watch it. Even if you find it not to be your cup of tea, at least you didn't waste money to watch it.</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51358[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 390468, member: 7"] I watched FANATIC (otherwise known as DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! for the American market) tonight on Tubi. This thriller stars Tallulah Bankhead as Mrs. Trefoile, a suppressed religious fanatic (which is where the British title comes from) who is morbidly obsessed by the death of her son, Steven. Mrs. Trefoile is unhinged and takes the locking up Steven's would-be wife Patricia (Stefanie Powers) in her attic when she comes to England for a visit. I found FANATIC to be a good movie, and I'd say it's a good representation of the "grande dame guignol" genre. The fact the movie is in color doesn't bother me, and I thought several parts of the story were quite creepy. This a Hammer production (as was Davis' THE NANNY, filmed in B&W and also released in 1965), and the studio's fingerprint is prevalent. FANATIC can get a little long-winded, and perhaps had a good 20 minutes been shaved off, the movie would've been a tad more impressionable. This is probably Tallulah's finest on-screen performance as an actress (even though Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT is right up there, too), as she really seems to slide into the character of Mrs. Trefoile without her typical "Tallulah" mannerisms. I recall Bankhead plugging the movie during her appearance on WHAT'S MY LINE? in 1965. I think the movie plays better when titled FANATIC, but the version I watched tonight was called DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! American exhibitors retitled the movie for U.S. audiences to cash-in on Bankhead's "darling" over usage, a fact often played for laughs by those impersonating her. There's also a line towards the end of the film where Mrs. Trefoile says to Patricia, "You must die. Die! Die! My darling." So, I guess they can say that's where the U.S. retitle came from as well. As I said, this movie is currently free on Tubi. If you're interested, go and watch it. Even if you find it not to be your cup of tea, at least you didn't waste money to watch it. [ATTACH type="full" alt="1709436677064.png"]51358[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top