Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Snarky Oracle!" data-source="post: 390474" data-attributes="member: 57984"><p>Bankhead didn't like the Americanized title DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! (perhaps because it sounded too much like HUSH... HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE, filmed at the same time and released a few months earlier) but I think that title aged better than the British FANATIC moniker because FANATIC sounds today so indistinct after 60 years of additional cinema -- in fact, FANATIC now sounds like some low-budget '70s sci-fi shocker with boobs on display.</p><p></p><p>While I usually prefer my pre-1966 horror films in B&W, there are some exceptions, and this is one of them; I like the vivid color scheme, the locational atmosphere, the production design, and the use of varying shades of red.</p><p></p><p>Funny how, like LADY IN A CAGE, this film also has a domineering, narcissistic mama whose son is apparently gay and then commits suicide (is that what he did in CAGE?)</p><p></p><p>The film does get slightly draggy after Powers is locked in the attic -- but, frankly, so does BABY JANE.</p><p></p><p>Since Tallulah didn't really have much of a movie career, it's definitely one of her memorable performances; Stefanie give an affected to-period elocution lesson I'd never want to miss.</p><p></p><p>I always want to see Donald Sutherland deliver his 20-minute monologue from JFK with his DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! voice. I think it might have had a different impact.</p><p></p><p>-------------------------</p><p></p><p>And here's one of the best of the genre, somehow perfectly on the cusp of both very-different halves of the '60s -- whatever that means (it starts at about 2:15 , until it gets deleted):</p><p></p><p>[MEDIA=youtube]K74G_WR2xgE[/MEDIA]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Snarky Oracle!, post: 390474, member: 57984"] Bankhead didn't like the Americanized title DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! (perhaps because it sounded too much like HUSH... HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE, filmed at the same time and released a few months earlier) but I think that title aged better than the British FANATIC moniker because FANATIC sounds today so indistinct after 60 years of additional cinema -- in fact, FANATIC now sounds like some low-budget '70s sci-fi shocker with boobs on display. While I usually prefer my pre-1966 horror films in B&W, there are some exceptions, and this is one of them; I like the vivid color scheme, the locational atmosphere, the production design, and the use of varying shades of red. Funny how, like LADY IN A CAGE, this film also has a domineering, narcissistic mama whose son is apparently gay and then commits suicide (is that what he did in CAGE?) The film does get slightly draggy after Powers is locked in the attic -- but, frankly, so does BABY JANE. Since Tallulah didn't really have much of a movie career, it's definitely one of her memorable performances; Stefanie give an affected to-period elocution lesson I'd never want to miss. I always want to see Donald Sutherland deliver his 20-minute monologue from JFK with his DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! voice. I think it might have had a different impact. ------------------------- And here's one of the best of the genre, somehow perfectly on the cusp of both very-different halves of the '60s -- whatever that means (it starts at about 2:15 , until it gets deleted): [MEDIA=youtube]K74G_WR2xgE[/MEDIA] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top