Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 390703" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>STRAIT-JACKET (1964) is currently free on YouTube, so I gave it another watch tonight. </p><p></p><p>Yes, the movie is sloppy and low-grade trash, but I kinda enjoy it. Joan Crawford is good, much better than the material requires, that's for sure. She gives much more than the script asks of her, which stands to prove how skilled she was to elevate weak material. </p><p></p><p>Diane Baker, as her daughter, is also good. I don't think she gets enough credit for her performance. Perhaps she would, though, if the movie itself was better. </p><p></p><p>There are many faults with STRAIT-JACKET, and I won't waste anyone's time saying that there aren't. It has such potential to be a good B-movie, but it falls short, and often miserably so. It kind be a tad boring, and even that could be forgiven if the camera work was, at least, a little more incentive. </p><p></p><p>Producer-director William Castle wanted to make this movie his classic, but it's not even close. I know he was a "B-movie maestro," but STRAIT-JACKET drops even below his standards, I think. </p><p></p><p>This certainly isn't a standout of "grande dame guignol," but I find it hard to entirely hate it. Crawford's always an enjoyable watch, and she eases the roughness of the film -- at least for me. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]51402[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 390703, member: 7"] STRAIT-JACKET (1964) is currently free on YouTube, so I gave it another watch tonight. Yes, the movie is sloppy and low-grade trash, but I kinda enjoy it. Joan Crawford is good, much better than the material requires, that's for sure. She gives much more than the script asks of her, which stands to prove how skilled she was to elevate weak material. Diane Baker, as her daughter, is also good. I don't think she gets enough credit for her performance. Perhaps she would, though, if the movie itself was better. There are many faults with STRAIT-JACKET, and I won't waste anyone's time saying that there aren't. It has such potential to be a good B-movie, but it falls short, and often miserably so. It kind be a tad boring, and even that could be forgiven if the camera work was, at least, a little more incentive. Producer-director William Castle wanted to make this movie his classic, but it's not even close. I know he was a "B-movie maestro," but STRAIT-JACKET drops even below his standards, I think. This certainly isn't a standout of "grande dame guignol," but I find it hard to entirely hate it. Crawford's always an enjoyable watch, and she eases the roughness of the film -- at least for me. [ATTACH type="full"]51402[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top