Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 434363" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>You've made great points, I'm not sure why you're resistant to connecting them. A grande dame in 2025 wouldn't look the same as in 1964, but that doesn't mean they can't exist. The heart of Baby Jane and Norma Desmond, and probably Cousin Charlotte, isn't the decay it's the desperation for lost youth. That's just as relevant today than decades ago; it just takes a different form. Regardless of how well plastic surgery techniques advance, there's something unsettling about people in their mid-60s and beyond trying to look 30. I can't attribute this so I'll just paraphrase: one can look old or one can look weird, but one will never again look young.</p><p></p><p>I've never seen the film so I can't vouch for its quality or even if it's peripherally a Grande Dame Guignol, but the premise of Billy Wilder's FEDORA (1978) is intriguing. An Old Hollywood star who is somehow eternally youthful but, as it turns out, not due to cosmetics or surgery, but by forcing her daughter to masquerade as her. (Wilder had wanted Dietrich and Dunaway -- the cheekbones match -- but Marlene was none-too-thrilled at the offer.) A variation of Norma Desmond to be sure; the delusion can take different forms, but the delusion is the key.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 434363, member: 5079"] You've made great points, I'm not sure why you're resistant to connecting them. A grande dame in 2025 wouldn't look the same as in 1964, but that doesn't mean they can't exist. The heart of Baby Jane and Norma Desmond, and probably Cousin Charlotte, isn't the decay it's the desperation for lost youth. That's just as relevant today than decades ago; it just takes a different form. Regardless of how well plastic surgery techniques advance, there's something unsettling about people in their mid-60s and beyond trying to look 30. I can't attribute this so I'll just paraphrase: one can look old or one can look weird, but one will never again look young. I've never seen the film so I can't vouch for its quality or even if it's peripherally a Grande Dame Guignol, but the premise of Billy Wilder's FEDORA (1978) is intriguing. An Old Hollywood star who is somehow eternally youthful but, as it turns out, not due to cosmetics or surgery, but by forcing her daughter to masquerade as her. (Wilder had wanted Dietrich and Dunaway -- the cheekbones match -- but Marlene was none-too-thrilled at the offer.) A variation of Norma Desmond to be sure; the delusion can take different forms, but the delusion is the key. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top