Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 54503" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>Basically, yes. Most of these films starred actresses who were once at the top of their game, but whose career sagged as she aged, and to remedy their failing popularity, they starred in a series of "shocks", that have been nicknamed "hag horrors". I've also heard them called "psycho biddy" and "hagsploitation" movies. Almost none of them were aimed towards the mainstream moving-going public, although nearly all of them found success with the average filmgoer. </p><p></p><p>Davis and Crawford appeared in more of them than any other, possibly because they were the headliners in the film that started it all--<em>What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? </em>The initial idea was to have them paired together again, with the same director and some of the same cast, in <em>Hush, Hush... Sweet Charlotte</em>. They both actually signed contracts, but their behind-the-scenes bickering led to Crawford falling "ill" and withdrawing from the picture. She was to be replaced by Vivien Leigh, but she refused, so Davis suggested Olivia de Havilland, who ended up with Crawford's role. </p><p></p><p>Yes, most of these films do have a good dose of black humor from what I gather, and many of them were made intentionally campy. I haven't seen but just a handful of them, but I wouldn't mind seeing them all.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Thanks for your insights. As I said, I haven't seen but just a handful of these films, so I couldn't give any concrete comments on them. Greatly appreciated. </p><p></p><p>So you considered Hush, Hush... Sweet Charlotte superior to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Could you elaborate on that please. I've never seen all of Sweet Charlotte, but I've seen Baby Jane several times. Would Sweet Charlotte have worked with Davis and Crawford in the leads, or does de Havilland play it better?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 54503, member: 7"] Basically, yes. Most of these films starred actresses who were once at the top of their game, but whose career sagged as she aged, and to remedy their failing popularity, they starred in a series of "shocks", that have been nicknamed "hag horrors". I've also heard them called "psycho biddy" and "hagsploitation" movies. Almost none of them were aimed towards the mainstream moving-going public, although nearly all of them found success with the average filmgoer. Davis and Crawford appeared in more of them than any other, possibly because they were the headliners in the film that started it all--[I]What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? [/I]The initial idea was to have them paired together again, with the same director and some of the same cast, in [I]Hush, Hush... Sweet Charlotte[/I]. They both actually signed contracts, but their behind-the-scenes bickering led to Crawford falling "ill" and withdrawing from the picture. She was to be replaced by Vivien Leigh, but she refused, so Davis suggested Olivia de Havilland, who ended up with Crawford's role. Yes, most of these films do have a good dose of black humor from what I gather, and many of them were made intentionally campy. I haven't seen but just a handful of them, but I wouldn't mind seeing them all. Thanks for your insights. As I said, I haven't seen but just a handful of these films, so I couldn't give any concrete comments on them. Greatly appreciated. So you considered Hush, Hush... Sweet Charlotte superior to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Could you elaborate on that please. I've never seen all of Sweet Charlotte, but I've seen Baby Jane several times. Would Sweet Charlotte have worked with Davis and Crawford in the leads, or does de Havilland play it better? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top