Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 54532" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>I love these stills of Crawford in character on the set. I've never seen them before now. It looks like she was taking full advantage of her character not being a wheelchair-bound crippled this go around, too. She seems to be all decked out as glamorous as she can possibly be, or it least it seems that way when compared to de Havilland's more modest appearance in the screen capture you inserted. </p><p></p><p>I've heard multiple different theories as to how <em>Sweet Charlotte</em> would have turned out had Crawford ending up as Davis' co-star. One I heard is Crawford would have again been shrunk in comparison with Davis having the "flashier" role, while another theory is Crawford and Davis would have battled more this go around because their characters were "equals" in this story. Some think since Crawford was out of the wheelchair this time she would have been more of force to reckoned as Miriam than she had been as Blanche. From what I gather, many agree Davis and Crawford would have tried and tried more and more this go around to upstage one another. Having not seen the film in its entirety, I couldn't say which theory I would side with, if any of them. I know I wish Crawford would have sucked it up and stayed, though. Then we would have two Davis-Crawford "hag horrors". </p><p></p><p>And on a different note, I read that Katharine Hepburn and Barbara Stanwyck were under consideration to play Miriam, while Davis was Aldrich's one and only choice for Charlotte. Supposedly, Vivien Leigh received a "lovely offer" to replace Crawford after she "fell ill", but refused to work with Davis. Likewise, Davis didn't want Leigh in the picture, allegedly saying she wasn't right to play a Southern belle. Rumor has it Davis was still a bit miffed that Leigh ended up with "the role of a lifetime" that was Scarlett O'Hara (and won an Oscar for it, too).</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 54532, member: 7"] I love these stills of Crawford in character on the set. I've never seen them before now. It looks like she was taking full advantage of her character not being a wheelchair-bound crippled this go around, too. She seems to be all decked out as glamorous as she can possibly be, or it least it seems that way when compared to de Havilland's more modest appearance in the screen capture you inserted. I've heard multiple different theories as to how [I]Sweet Charlotte[/I] would have turned out had Crawford ending up as Davis' co-star. One I heard is Crawford would have again been shrunk in comparison with Davis having the "flashier" role, while another theory is Crawford and Davis would have battled more this go around because their characters were "equals" in this story. Some think since Crawford was out of the wheelchair this time she would have been more of force to reckoned as Miriam than she had been as Blanche. From what I gather, many agree Davis and Crawford would have tried and tried more and more this go around to upstage one another. Having not seen the film in its entirety, I couldn't say which theory I would side with, if any of them. I know I wish Crawford would have sucked it up and stayed, though. Then we would have two Davis-Crawford "hag horrors". And on a different note, I read that Katharine Hepburn and Barbara Stanwyck were under consideration to play Miriam, while Davis was Aldrich's one and only choice for Charlotte. Supposedly, Vivien Leigh received a "lovely offer" to replace Crawford after she "fell ill", but refused to work with Davis. Likewise, Davis didn't want Leigh in the picture, allegedly saying she wasn't right to play a Southern belle. Rumor has it Davis was still a bit miffed that Leigh ended up with "the role of a lifetime" that was Scarlett O'Hara (and won an Oscar for it, too). [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top