Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 444531" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>All true, although contextually a woman in the 1860s would have had few paths to success other than strategic marriage and fewer paths to independence other than widowhood. Scarlett played the hand she was dealt; she played it well and dispassionately. Unlike classic screen vamps or femes fatale, there was no malice in Scarlett's actions. She did what was necessary to survive and thrive, she just indifferent to the impact on others. If I thought GWTW and the similarly themed FOREVER AMBER were more than slick potboilers, I'd say there's some social commentary in there; presumably that was a big factor on why the stories resonated with women in the '30s and '40s.</p><p></p><p>And all the reason why I maintain Leigh was the best and only option. Except for Davis, who might have leaned too far in the other direction, I think any of the other actresses would have made Scarlett more likeable. Goddard was an immensely appealing actress. Scarlett being so unlikable, while not help but admiring her determination, is what makes her such a unique character.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 444531, member: 5079"] All true, although contextually a woman in the 1860s would have had few paths to success other than strategic marriage and fewer paths to independence other than widowhood. Scarlett played the hand she was dealt; she played it well and dispassionately. Unlike classic screen vamps or femes fatale, there was no malice in Scarlett's actions. She did what was necessary to survive and thrive, she just indifferent to the impact on others. If I thought GWTW and the similarly themed FOREVER AMBER were more than slick potboilers, I'd say there's some social commentary in there; presumably that was a big factor on why the stories resonated with women in the '30s and '40s. And all the reason why I maintain Leigh was the best and only option. Except for Davis, who might have leaned too far in the other direction, I think any of the other actresses would have made Scarlett more likeable. Goddard was an immensely appealing actress. Scarlett being so unlikable, while not help but admiring her determination, is what makes her such a unique character. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top