Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 444578" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>There is not another actress I can see playing Scarlett except Vivien Leigh. Vivien as Scarlett was the perfect marriage between actress and character, and no one else could've done the part justice. </p><p></p><p>That said, Bette Davis <strong><em>desperately</em></strong> wanted to play Scarlett, and went to her grave feeling she should've gotten the role. In her autobiography, Davis says, "It was insanity I not be given Scarlett", although she once told Dick Cavett that she had declined the part somewhere around 1936 when Jack Warner offered it to her. Believing it to be another trash story similar to the ones that been giving her at the time, she laughed it off, saying, "I bet it's a dilly, too," and walked away from Hollywood with the plan to make films in England. This is the version she told Cavett in the early-70s anyway. </p><p></p><p>Davis, a very good actress, was not right for Scarlett. I second your assessment that GONE WITH THE WIND wouldn't've been as big of a hit in 1939 nor would be as fondly remembered today had Davis played Scarlett. </p><p></p><p>JEZEBEL, however, was perfect for Bette. One writer said, "It wasn't the wind, but it was a respectable breeze." </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]59650[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 444578, member: 7"] There is not another actress I can see playing Scarlett except Vivien Leigh. Vivien as Scarlett was the perfect marriage between actress and character, and no one else could've done the part justice. That said, Bette Davis [B][I]desperately[/I][/B] wanted to play Scarlett, and went to her grave feeling she should've gotten the role. In her autobiography, Davis says, "It was insanity I not be given Scarlett", although she once told Dick Cavett that she had declined the part somewhere around 1936 when Jack Warner offered it to her. Believing it to be another trash story similar to the ones that been giving her at the time, she laughed it off, saying, "I bet it's a dilly, too," and walked away from Hollywood with the plan to make films in England. This is the version she told Cavett in the early-70s anyway. Davis, a very good actress, was not right for Scarlett. I second your assessment that GONE WITH THE WIND wouldn't've been as big of a hit in 1939 nor would be as fondly remembered today had Davis played Scarlett. JEZEBEL, however, was perfect for Bette. One writer said, "It wasn't the wind, but it was a respectable breeze." [ATTACH type="full"]59650[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top