Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
US Soaps
Daytime Soaps
Print Ads for Daytime Soaps
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Daniel Avery" data-source="post: 394003" data-attributes="member: 27"><p>Beverlee McKinsey (headlining <em>Texas</em> in her AW role of Iris Carrington) was immensely popular, and it was believed that spinning her off allowed AW's marquee couple Mac and Rachel to finally be rid of her constant interference and scheming. It would also allow the parent show to shrink back to hour-long episodes but "soften the blow" by having some linkages to AW in the new, separate show. They even introduced many of the <em>Texas</em> characters on AW to help fans transfer to the new show. Beverlee McKinsey was certainly up to the challenge of headlining a show, but the mistake they made was turning mean-spirited, snooty, spoiled Iris into a heroine-type character in the new series. Even if they had done everything right (not that they <em>did</em>...) the show would likely have never succeeded due to its stiff competition in most markets---ratings juggernaut <em>General Hospital</em> and critical darling <em>Guiding Light</em>, which was having a creative renaissance in the early 1980s. And though we have gotten used to the idea of "other forms of programming" encroaching on the daytime TV arena, it was pretty much understood in 1980 that you replaced a cancelled soap with....another soap.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Daniel Avery, post: 394003, member: 27"] Beverlee McKinsey (headlining [I]Texas[/I] in her AW role of Iris Carrington) was immensely popular, and it was believed that spinning her off allowed AW's marquee couple Mac and Rachel to finally be rid of her constant interference and scheming. It would also allow the parent show to shrink back to hour-long episodes but "soften the blow" by having some linkages to AW in the new, separate show. They even introduced many of the [I]Texas[/I] characters on AW to help fans transfer to the new show. Beverlee McKinsey was certainly up to the challenge of headlining a show, but the mistake they made was turning mean-spirited, snooty, spoiled Iris into a heroine-type character in the new series. Even if they had done everything right (not that they [I]did[/I]...) the show would likely have never succeeded due to its stiff competition in most markets---ratings juggernaut [I]General Hospital[/I] and critical darling [I]Guiding Light[/I], which was having a creative renaissance in the early 1980s. And though we have gotten used to the idea of "other forms of programming" encroaching on the daytime TV arena, it was pretty much understood in 1980 that you replaced a cancelled soap with....another soap. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
US Soaps
Daytime Soaps
Print Ads for Daytime Soaps
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top