Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
Random TV Ratings
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Jock Ewing Fan" data-source="post: 432548" data-attributes="member: 40536"><p>.</p><p>Fred Silverman to the rescue for ABC:</p><p></p><p>"Silverman was named president of ABC Entertainment in 1975,<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Silverman#cite_note-10" target="_blank">[10]</a> putting him in the ironic position of saving <em>Happy Days</em>, the very show that <em>Good Times</em> had brought to the brink of cancellation. Silverman succeeded in bringing <em>Happy Days</em> to the top of the ratings and generating a hit spin-off from that show, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laverne_%26_Shirley" target="_blank">Laverne & Shirley</a></em> (another spin-off, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mork_%26_Mindy" target="_blank">Mork & Mindy</a></em>, was also a ratings winner initially ending its first season at number three but the ratings quickly free fell).</p><p></p><p>At ABC, Silverman also <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlight" target="_blank">greenlit</a> other popular series such as <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bionic_Woman" target="_blank">The Bionic Woman</a></em> (a <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Million_Dollar_Man" target="_blank">Six Million Dollar Man</a></em> spin-off), <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_(1976_TV_series)" target="_blank">Family</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie%27s_Angels" target="_blank">Charlie's Angels</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_%26_Marie_(1976_TV_series)" target="_blank">Donny & Marie</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three%27s_Company" target="_blank">Three's Company</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Is_Enough" target="_blank">Eight Is Enough</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Boat" target="_blank">The Love Boat</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)" target="_blank">Soap</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Island" target="_blank">Fantasy Island</a></em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning_America" target="_blank">Good Morning America</a></em>, long-form pioneer <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Man,_Poor_Man_(miniseries)" target="_blank">Rich Man, Poor Man</a></em>, and the award-winning miniseries, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(1977_miniseries)" target="_blank">Roots</a></em>. These moves brought ABC's long-dormant ratings from third place to first place. However, Silverman was criticized during this period for relying heavily on escapist fare (it was Silverman who conceived the infamous <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brady_Bunch_Hour" target="_blank">The Brady Bunch Hour</a></em> with <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_and_Marty_Krofft" target="_blank">Sid and Marty Krofft</a> in late 1976) and for bringing T&A or "<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiggle_TV" target="_blank">jiggle TV</a>" to the small screen with numerous ABC shows featuring buxom, attractive, and often scantily-clad young women (such as the popular <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Network_Stars" target="_blank">Battle of the Network Stars</a></em>).</p><p></p><p><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Daytime" target="_blank">ABC Daytime</a> had mediocre ratings, so in order to increase them, Silverman hired <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Monty" target="_blank">Gloria Monty</a> to produce the ailing <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Hospital" target="_blank">General Hospital</a></em>. He gave Monty thirteen weeks to increase the serial's ratings or it would be cancelled. He later expanded <em>General Hospital</em>, <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_My_Children" target="_blank">All My Children</a></em>, and <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Life_to_Live" target="_blank">One Life to Live</a></em> to a full hour, and created a 3+1⁄2-hour afternoon serial block. Among game shows, Silverman introduced Goodson and Todman's <em><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Feud" target="_blank">Family Feud</a></em> to the network."</p><p></p><p>[URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Silverman[/URL]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Jock Ewing Fan, post: 432548, member: 40536"] . Fred Silverman to the rescue for ABC: "Silverman was named president of ABC Entertainment in 1975,[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Silverman#cite_note-10'][10][/URL] putting him in the ironic position of saving [I]Happy Days[/I], the very show that [I]Good Times[/I] had brought to the brink of cancellation. Silverman succeeded in bringing [I]Happy Days[/I] to the top of the ratings and generating a hit spin-off from that show, [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laverne_%26_Shirley']Laverne & Shirley[/URL][/I] (another spin-off, [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mork_%26_Mindy']Mork & Mindy[/URL][/I], was also a ratings winner initially ending its first season at number three but the ratings quickly free fell). At ABC, Silverman also [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlight']greenlit[/URL] other popular series such as [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bionic_Woman']The Bionic Woman[/URL][/I] (a [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Million_Dollar_Man']Six Million Dollar Man[/URL][/I] spin-off), [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_(1976_TV_series)']Family[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie%27s_Angels']Charlie's Angels[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_%26_Marie_(1976_TV_series)']Donny & Marie[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three%27s_Company']Three's Company[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Is_Enough']Eight Is Enough[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Boat']The Love Boat[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)']Soap[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Island']Fantasy Island[/URL][/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning_America']Good Morning America[/URL][/I], long-form pioneer [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Man,_Poor_Man_(miniseries)']Rich Man, Poor Man[/URL][/I], and the award-winning miniseries, [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(1977_miniseries)']Roots[/URL][/I]. These moves brought ABC's long-dormant ratings from third place to first place. However, Silverman was criticized during this period for relying heavily on escapist fare (it was Silverman who conceived the infamous [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brady_Bunch_Hour']The Brady Bunch Hour[/URL][/I] with [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_and_Marty_Krofft']Sid and Marty Krofft[/URL] in late 1976) and for bringing T&A or "[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiggle_TV']jiggle TV[/URL]" to the small screen with numerous ABC shows featuring buxom, attractive, and often scantily-clad young women (such as the popular [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Network_Stars']Battle of the Network Stars[/URL][/I]). [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Daytime']ABC Daytime[/URL] had mediocre ratings, so in order to increase them, Silverman hired [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Monty']Gloria Monty[/URL] to produce the ailing [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Hospital']General Hospital[/URL][/I]. He gave Monty thirteen weeks to increase the serial's ratings or it would be cancelled. He later expanded [I]General Hospital[/I], [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_My_Children']All My Children[/URL][/I], and [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Life_to_Live']One Life to Live[/URL][/I] to a full hour, and created a 3+1⁄2-hour afternoon serial block. Among game shows, Silverman introduced Goodson and Todman's [I][URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Feud']Family Feud[/URL][/I] to the network." [URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Silverman[/URL] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
Random TV Ratings
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top