Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 331353" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>As it turned out, last night was the night.</p><p></p><p>This time round was a strange experience with <em>Jaws</em>. Usually when I watch I'm watching old soaps or sitcoms. This year I've been streaming a lot and have watched oodles of newer films and TV series which I've never watched before. This meant that <em>Jaws</em> felt less of an event than it usually does when I rewatch (and it should have felt like <em>more</em> of an event, since I didn't have my annual screening last summer).</p><p></p><p>Since I know it frame-by-frame and verbatim, I fancied doing something a little different this time. I initially considered selecting a random language from one of the audio options on the Blu-ray (when it first came out on DVD back in 2000 I remember watching it in Spanish just because I could). Anyway, I ended up not doing that. </p><p></p><p>Instead I decided that I would watch the entire film looking only at the background wherever possible to drink in as many small details as I could. It made for a pleasant viewing experience, if a very objective one. </p><p></p><p>It was fun to watch the numerous extras (mostly Martha's Vineyard locals) doing their thing and trying to be in the moment, from rubbing on sunscreen, to looking and pointing at the water after Alex Kintner's death, to "Bad Hat" Harry disappearing into his little beach hut after teasing Brody about his thalassophobia. </p><p></p><p>It was also enjoyable to spend more time focussing on Martha's Vineyard itself, taking in the scenery such as the neighbouring house to the Brody which can be seen from their bedroom window. I was also trying to piece together (from many hours studying Jaws Books, Google Maps and Street View) which parts of the island were used for which scene. And while of course Chappaquiddick can be seen clearly in the background of the ferry scene, it's on the horizon in some other scenes more than I'd realised. </p><p></p><p>Watching this way doubled the sense of disorientation and agoraphobia in the final act when we're out at sea and there's no land to be seen in any shot. After watching so objectively I was pulled back in, and Quint's Indianapolis Speech affected me more deeply than usual. When he said "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side..." I physically got chills, goose pimples and my stomach turned. As he went on, I found myself tearful. I don't think I've ever found it more emotional. It truly is a terrific performance from Robert Shaw. </p><p></p><p>It boggles my mind that <em>Jaws</em> didn't receive more Academy Award nominations, but there was some big competition that year and there is a lot of snobbery around "summer blockbuster" films - even if <em>Jaws</em> was the first.. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Looking back over this, (belatedly) based on what you've said it makes sense that the film must be set in 1975 since 29th June 1975 was a Sunday. The date on the police report was probably one of those details that was hastily added and not intended to be seen by the audience. It might even have been the date the scene was filmed or something.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 331353, member: 23"] As it turned out, last night was the night. This time round was a strange experience with [I]Jaws[/I]. Usually when I watch I'm watching old soaps or sitcoms. This year I've been streaming a lot and have watched oodles of newer films and TV series which I've never watched before. This meant that [I]Jaws[/I] felt less of an event than it usually does when I rewatch (and it should have felt like [I]more[/I] of an event, since I didn't have my annual screening last summer). Since I know it frame-by-frame and verbatim, I fancied doing something a little different this time. I initially considered selecting a random language from one of the audio options on the Blu-ray (when it first came out on DVD back in 2000 I remember watching it in Spanish just because I could). Anyway, I ended up not doing that. Instead I decided that I would watch the entire film looking only at the background wherever possible to drink in as many small details as I could. It made for a pleasant viewing experience, if a very objective one. It was fun to watch the numerous extras (mostly Martha's Vineyard locals) doing their thing and trying to be in the moment, from rubbing on sunscreen, to looking and pointing at the water after Alex Kintner's death, to "Bad Hat" Harry disappearing into his little beach hut after teasing Brody about his thalassophobia. It was also enjoyable to spend more time focussing on Martha's Vineyard itself, taking in the scenery such as the neighbouring house to the Brody which can be seen from their bedroom window. I was also trying to piece together (from many hours studying Jaws Books, Google Maps and Street View) which parts of the island were used for which scene. And while of course Chappaquiddick can be seen clearly in the background of the ferry scene, it's on the horizon in some other scenes more than I'd realised. Watching this way doubled the sense of disorientation and agoraphobia in the final act when we're out at sea and there's no land to be seen in any shot. After watching so objectively I was pulled back in, and Quint's Indianapolis Speech affected me more deeply than usual. When he said "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side..." I physically got chills, goose pimples and my stomach turned. As he went on, I found myself tearful. I don't think I've ever found it more emotional. It truly is a terrific performance from Robert Shaw. It boggles my mind that [I]Jaws[/I] didn't receive more Academy Award nominations, but there was some big competition that year and there is a lot of snobbery around "summer blockbuster" films - even if [I]Jaws[/I] was the first.. Looking back over this, (belatedly) based on what you've said it makes sense that the film must be set in 1975 since 29th June 1975 was a Sunday. The date on the police report was probably one of those details that was hastily added and not intended to be seen by the audience. It might even have been the date the scene was filmed or something. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top