• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The next reboot?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In an interview published on deadline.com, Josh Reims was asked:

Reboots are so hard. Would you ever do this again?
REIMS I would totally do it again. This was easier to do because of the fact we didn’t feel beholden to the original. If we had to be more strict to what originally happened, it may not have been as fun and as easy. It worked out for the best.
So does that mean you’re going to reboot The Colbys now?
REIM
Exactly. Or Falcon Crest.

He was joking, of course, but maybe he simply picked the right cast, but the wrong show. Submitted for your approval:

Due to some unforseen issues with CBS Studios, Reims and Co. are informed that though Dynasty is in fact cancelled, the contracts of the cast and crew were never terminated, only those of the producers and show-runner. In short, to head off paying huge penalties, CBS Studios decided to use the cast to reboot another, beloved 1980s classic: Knots Landing. The decision is made to cast the various ex-Dynasty actors in the roles made famous by others in the 1979-93 series, with a few tweaks made to accommodate the wishes of David Jacobs, who is brought in to act as Executive Producer. The neighbors on the California cul-de-sac include:

Grant Show as Sid Fairgate, owner of the local car dealership.
Daniela Alonso as Karen Fairgate, Sid's outspoken second wife, and mother of three of his four children.
Brianna Brown recurs as Diana Fairgate, Karen and Sid's selfish daughter.

Sam Underwood as Richard Avery, a troubled and morally-compromised lawyer.
Maddison Brown as Laura Avery, Richard's naive but loving wife.

Sam Adegoke as Gary Ewing, son of a wealthy family from Texas.
Eliza Bennett as Val Ewing, Gary's childhood sweetheart and all-around goodie two-shoes.
Elaine Hendrix as Lillian, Val's overbearing but well-meaning mother.

Adam Huber as Kenny Ward, a young record executive with a roving eye.
Rafael de la Fuente as Jim Kilman, Kenny's long-suffering husband and local schoolteacher.

Liz Gillies as Abby Fairgate Cunningham, Sid's older daughter from a previous marriage and recent divorcee.

Special Guest Appearances by:
Michael Michele recurs as Josephine Roberta "JR" Ewing, Gary's conniving, older sister.
Robert C. Riley appears in a multi-episode arc as Jeff Cunningham, Abby's wimpy ex-husband.
Nicollette Sheridan guest-stars in two episodes as Susan Philby, Sid's first wife and mother of Abby.
Nathalie Kelley recurs as Jo Cooper, Karen's gossipy sister visiting from New York.

The stories begin with the arrival of Abby in the cul-de-sac, who immediately stirs up her own brand of trouble.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nobody cares about FLOPS Landing.

Reboot Peyton Place now!

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want a continuation so they can kill off Allison again in the opener!
I don't mean to be rude but... a continuation with whom... ? Unfortunately, many actors passed away (or might decline the invitation if asked to...) A reboot with different actors/tresses seems to be the most realistic path if they choose to revive Peyton Place... It could be as dark as the novel (which really is) and just as shocking if settled in the 21th century and adjusted to our world.

They tried a continuation in 1985 with " A next generation" and it was not bad, the pilot deserved to be picked up for at least one season.

But 37 years later... ?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd rather watch remakes of "flopped" tv series like THE LONG HOT SUMMER (1965), or EXECUTIVE SUITE (1976).
And there are thousands of great melodramas that could be made into a soap opera. How about A SUMMER PLACE or WRITTEN ON THE WIND.

My idea: create a fictional town that was once used as the location for a fictional box-office hit, and then let it be haunted by the theme/subject of said fictional movie.
And that's just one example because the possibilities are endless.
WHY remake something that's already had hundreds of episodes?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Conventional wisdom on this subject is that the "name recognition" aspect is what attracts producers to past hits to continue/reboot. They feel that a project might have an extra chance of being bought if some of the purchasers (whether it's network execs, streaming service or whatever) recognize the source material. The producers likely feel that since potential viewers are already familiar with the original, they don't have to work as hard to introduce those characters to the audience and can focus instead on stories they want to tell.

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
No more,
TNT’s Dallas after the initial charm of having some of the OG cast together again wore off it was garbage. Linda and Larry still had it but patrick always played it angry and it needed Victoria to be complete.
The younger cast was just awful.
Knots landing with the CW Dynasty cast is fun,
The best actors on any soap replaced by “actors” who don’t know how.
I think this Dynasty that was so awful after the great Dead Scratch episode (that episode alone I’m happy the show was rebooted, it was just as good as any original episode , thank you SP) put the final nail in the 80’s night time revival soap genre.
As for Falcon Crest there’s no actor around now that can fill Angela (J W) Channings shoes, she made that series.
Josh Reims ruined the CW dynasty along with the CW, instead of a drama after season 1 , maybe 2 we got a mix of Glee and a bad SNL skit.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
If Dallas was ever rebooted, it should be a continuation of the TV Movie, Dallas: The Early years". Sadly, I don't think there is much interest in such a project
Here's a wild thoery. What if not only Is Digger the father of JR, but what if Jock is Cliff's father!

I know, too incredible LOL