Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 423869" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>MAY DECEMBER (2023)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]56405[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>A rewatch, but not because I had forgotten about the story or characters.</p><p>The film masterfully manipulates the viewer's perception, and this sort of mirrors the tabloid background story about an incestuous romance that nevertheless resulted in a lasting marriage, including three children.</p><p>What does "wrong" mean when it no longer matters, or is all not what it seems?</p><p></p><p>Initially, I feel I'm siding with Natalie Portman's character (Elizabeth), the actress who's going to play the controversial wife and mother (Gracie) played by Julianne Moore.</p><p>The fact that the family has agreed to see their story being told in a LifeTime biopic movie in the hope to improve their public image creates a somewhat negative starting point for all the characters.</p><p>They're definitely not the fame for fame's sake kind of people and that makes Elizabeth look like the intruder who has to walk on eggshells in order to get the job done.</p><p></p><p>It just so happens that the life of the infamously married couple is rapidly moving towards a state of crossroads. </p><p>Without the children around there's no longer a family to protect, and Gracie and Joe are basically back to being "that" couple, except that there's 15+ years missing. And Joe is going to feel it, in a terrific performance by Charles Melton.</p><p>Throughout the whole film you can sense his feeling of not-belonging, forever stuck between two generations, and also the lack of confidence to express those feelings because it seemingly doesn't matter anymore.</p><p></p><p>The layers get peeled off thanks to Elizabeth's relentless character investigation, but this also happens at the expense of her own image.</p><p>Elizabeth takes herself very very seriously, and as the story progresses she starts to show a judgmental and patronising attitude and there are even hints of jealousy because Gracie has it all: the hunk and the family - no, <em>two</em> families.</p><p>There's something very unpleasant and terrifying about the ambitious actress, and it's done so well that I almost couldn't seperate it from the real actress, Natalie Portman.</p><p>Gracie seems to hide her manipulative personality behind an aura of naivety, and during the final interaction between her and Elizabeth it looks like she got the upper hand.</p><p>Only to have it retaliated by the biopic movie itself, since it's clearly becoming an attention-grabbing tabloid schlocker.</p><p>Elizabeth, current TV star in a Grey's Anatomy kind of show, still believes she's become part of something important.</p><p></p><p>May December is a psychological, modern-day Grande Dame Guignol mixed with dark comedy dysfunctional family drama, how can you <em>not</em> love it.</p><p><em>The Go-Between</em> film score works fine here, but performed at a lower volume would have been preferable.</p><p>The first time I watched this film I had no idea it was partially based on the case of Mary Kay Letourneau, but I'm not sure if it makes any difference.</p><p></p><p></p><p>As in "having a real problem with The Godfather Part III <em>but also</em> Frozen (2010)" ?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 423869, member: 8"] MAY DECEMBER (2023) [ATTACH type="full"]56405[/ATTACH] A rewatch, but not because I had forgotten about the story or characters. The film masterfully manipulates the viewer's perception, and this sort of mirrors the tabloid background story about an incestuous romance that nevertheless resulted in a lasting marriage, including three children. What does "wrong" mean when it no longer matters, or is all not what it seems? Initially, I feel I'm siding with Natalie Portman's character (Elizabeth), the actress who's going to play the controversial wife and mother (Gracie) played by Julianne Moore. The fact that the family has agreed to see their story being told in a LifeTime biopic movie in the hope to improve their public image creates a somewhat negative starting point for all the characters. They're definitely not the fame for fame's sake kind of people and that makes Elizabeth look like the intruder who has to walk on eggshells in order to get the job done. It just so happens that the life of the infamously married couple is rapidly moving towards a state of crossroads. Without the children around there's no longer a family to protect, and Gracie and Joe are basically back to being "that" couple, except that there's 15+ years missing. And Joe is going to feel it, in a terrific performance by Charles Melton. Throughout the whole film you can sense his feeling of not-belonging, forever stuck between two generations, and also the lack of confidence to express those feelings because it seemingly doesn't matter anymore. The layers get peeled off thanks to Elizabeth's relentless character investigation, but this also happens at the expense of her own image. Elizabeth takes herself very very seriously, and as the story progresses she starts to show a judgmental and patronising attitude and there are even hints of jealousy because Gracie has it all: the hunk and the family - no, [I]two[/I] families. There's something very unpleasant and terrifying about the ambitious actress, and it's done so well that I almost couldn't seperate it from the real actress, Natalie Portman. Gracie seems to hide her manipulative personality behind an aura of naivety, and during the final interaction between her and Elizabeth it looks like she got the upper hand. Only to have it retaliated by the biopic movie itself, since it's clearly becoming an attention-grabbing tabloid schlocker. Elizabeth, current TV star in a Grey's Anatomy kind of show, still believes she's become part of something important. May December is a psychological, modern-day Grande Dame Guignol mixed with dark comedy dysfunctional family drama, how can you [I]not[/I] love it. [I]The Go-Between[/I] film score works fine here, but performed at a lower volume would have been preferable. The first time I watched this film I had no idea it was partially based on the case of Mary Kay Letourneau, but I'm not sure if it makes any difference. As in "having a real problem with The Godfather Part III [I]but also[/I] Frozen (2010)" ? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top