Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 428971" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>PAPERHOUSE (1988)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]57069[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I had been aware of this film for quite some time but somehow it dropped <s>off</s> of the to-watch-list. I have no idea how it came back to the forefront let alone why I bought the DVD, but you know how it goes with the internet: via via via via.</p><p>The film's fantastical production design takes centre stage and the story moves it along sufficiently to its feature-length presentation, including some very dark moments.</p><p>As it happens in many stories and films told from a child's point of view, the parents or any character with enough authority to un-do the story are the antagonists.</p><p>The mischievous grandparent as the partner in crime could definitely be considered a trope, but that character is not in this film.</p><p></p><p>The score is beautiful and essential to the feel of the story, even if it goes a little bit over the top here and there.</p><p>The world of schoolgirl Anna (Charlotte Burke, who joins the club of one-off child actors) is devoid of pop culture but everything else looks very eighties.</p><p>Ben Cross as Anna's father looks particularly attractive, his tanned skin made me think he had just walked off the set of The Far Pavilions (the mini-series that brown-faced Amy Irving into an Indian princess).</p><p>The father's bogeyman alter ego - the result of Anna's passive-aggressive resentment - reminded me of <em>Mirrormask</em> (2005), an equally stylish film with magical drawings and a parent representing an evil entity in the fantasy world.</p><p>Gemma Jones is the only other Paperhouse actor whom I had seen in other roles (I correctly guessed it was an Adam Dalgliesh story but she was also in Ken Russell's <em>The Devils</em>).</p><p></p><p>Overall, the film fulfilled all my expectations and that can be just as good as a pleasant surprise.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 428971, member: 8"] PAPERHOUSE (1988) [ATTACH type="full"]57069[/ATTACH] I had been aware of this film for quite some time but somehow it dropped [S]off[/S] of the to-watch-list. I have no idea how it came back to the forefront let alone why I bought the DVD, but you know how it goes with the internet: via via via via. The film's fantastical production design takes centre stage and the story moves it along sufficiently to its feature-length presentation, including some very dark moments. As it happens in many stories and films told from a child's point of view, the parents or any character with enough authority to un-do the story are the antagonists. The mischievous grandparent as the partner in crime could definitely be considered a trope, but that character is not in this film. The score is beautiful and essential to the feel of the story, even if it goes a little bit over the top here and there. The world of schoolgirl Anna (Charlotte Burke, who joins the club of one-off child actors) is devoid of pop culture but everything else looks very eighties. Ben Cross as Anna's father looks particularly attractive, his tanned skin made me think he had just walked off the set of The Far Pavilions (the mini-series that brown-faced Amy Irving into an Indian princess). The father's bogeyman alter ego - the result of Anna's passive-aggressive resentment - reminded me of [I]Mirrormask[/I] (2005), an equally stylish film with magical drawings and a parent representing an evil entity in the fantasy world. Gemma Jones is the only other Paperhouse actor whom I had seen in other roles (I correctly guessed it was an Adam Dalgliesh story but she was also in Ken Russell's [I]The Devils[/I]). Overall, the film fulfilled all my expectations and that can be just as good as a pleasant surprise. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top