Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 436685" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>The Lost Daughter (2021)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]58469[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I think this is very much a "swimming pool" drama, which deserves to be a genre imo. These films are more about atmosphere, underlying tension and awkwardness that expose the characters in a quasi-mysterious but also unflattering way.</p><p>Literary translator/analyst Leda (Olivia Colman, and Jessie Buckley as her younger version) is impulsive and socially unskilled. She's not rude or bad, but her jokes never land and she doesn't know how to "read" people (ironically).</p><p>There is nothing particularly likeable or interesting about her but those flaws are not sold as "quirk". It's the story of a woman who could be any woman rather than an entertainer, and that makes it interestingly uncompromising to watch.</p><p>The moments of tension - sometimes hinting at danger - when she interacts with certain characters are very recognisable even though there are no true villains in this story.</p><p>Sometimes it's unclear who's the weird and untrustworthy person, it's all about the unknown and reading between the lines. Shades of <em>We Need To Talk About Kevin</em>.</p><p>Leda's past is relevant in the present time although it takes some time to get there.</p><p>There are lots of flashbacks with some red herrings in the first ones. I think this film didn't need that kind of trickery because everything else is so brutally honest.</p><p></p><p>Ed Harris proves once again to be a very reliable supporting actor. It's not a "big" performance but his mere presence gives the scenes more oomph.</p><p>I'm not surprised to see that this film was made by Maggie Gyllenhaal. She had previously acted in some terrific indie dramas like <em>The Kindergarden Teacher</em> and <em>Secretary, </em>and also as brother Jake's on-screen sister in <em>Donnie Darko</em>.</p><p>She knows this stuff and I hope there's more to come.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 436685, member: 8"] The Lost Daughter (2021) [ATTACH type="full"]58469[/ATTACH] I think this is very much a "swimming pool" drama, which deserves to be a genre imo. These films are more about atmosphere, underlying tension and awkwardness that expose the characters in a quasi-mysterious but also unflattering way. Literary translator/analyst Leda (Olivia Colman, and Jessie Buckley as her younger version) is impulsive and socially unskilled. She's not rude or bad, but her jokes never land and she doesn't know how to "read" people (ironically). There is nothing particularly likeable or interesting about her but those flaws are not sold as "quirk". It's the story of a woman who could be any woman rather than an entertainer, and that makes it interestingly uncompromising to watch. The moments of tension - sometimes hinting at danger - when she interacts with certain characters are very recognisable even though there are no true villains in this story. Sometimes it's unclear who's the weird and untrustworthy person, it's all about the unknown and reading between the lines. Shades of [I]We Need To Talk About Kevin[/I]. Leda's past is relevant in the present time although it takes some time to get there. There are lots of flashbacks with some red herrings in the first ones. I think this film didn't need that kind of trickery because everything else is so brutally honest. Ed Harris proves once again to be a very reliable supporting actor. It's not a "big" performance but his mere presence gives the scenes more oomph. I'm not surprised to see that this film was made by Maggie Gyllenhaal. She had previously acted in some terrific indie dramas like [I]The Kindergarden Teacher[/I] and [I]Secretary, [/I]and also as brother Jake's on-screen sister in [I]Donnie Darko[/I]. She knows this stuff and I hope there's more to come. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top