Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 437836" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Oh yes. I forgot to mention this, but it's great. It felt like an additional character who would reappear every once in a while to add a bit of inspiration. </p><p></p><p>I also enjoyed the role New York City played. It felt very tangible here and slightly removed from the cinematic New York one sees in every third film. The opening titles (a helicopter shot around The Statue Of Liberty then a panorama of the skyline as we sweep over to follow the Staten Island Ferry before going inside) are a work of art. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>That's cool. It's fun to see the (possible) influence taking effect that quickly, and makes me wonder about other times <em>Knots</em> did this. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>That does console me (and I don't mind if that makes me a teeny bit petty). </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>My only other cinematic frame of reference for Griffith is <em>Something Wild, </em>and<em> Working Girl</em> is far more watchable on the bases of cast, writing and premise. I'd say these carried her through. Even though it was never going to be a fantastic film <em>because</em> of her presence, it manages to be a really good film <em>despite</em> her presence. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Now this threw me a little because I immediately thought of <u>Meg</u> Tilly whom I only know from <em>Psycho II. </em>And even then I still got what you meant since Meg had a similarly vacant and insipid intonation to Griffith (even if Meg didn't invoke Shelley Winters).</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 437836, member: 23"] Oh yes. I forgot to mention this, but it's great. It felt like an additional character who would reappear every once in a while to add a bit of inspiration. I also enjoyed the role New York City played. It felt very tangible here and slightly removed from the cinematic New York one sees in every third film. The opening titles (a helicopter shot around The Statue Of Liberty then a panorama of the skyline as we sweep over to follow the Staten Island Ferry before going inside) are a work of art. That's cool. It's fun to see the (possible) influence taking effect that quickly, and makes me wonder about other times [I]Knots[/I] did this. That does console me (and I don't mind if that makes me a teeny bit petty). My only other cinematic frame of reference for Griffith is [I]Something Wild, [/I]and[I] Working Girl[/I] is far more watchable on the bases of cast, writing and premise. I'd say these carried her through. Even though it was never going to be a fantastic film [I]because[/I] of her presence, it manages to be a really good film [I]despite[/I] her presence. Now this threw me a little because I immediately thought of [U]Meg[/U] Tilly whom I only know from [I]Psycho II. [/I]And even then I still got what you meant since Meg had a similarly vacant and insipid intonation to Griffith (even if Meg didn't invoke Shelley Winters). [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top