Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 442906" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>The Dark Knight (2008)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]59423[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>Now that Christopher Nolan is super-trending again I decided to watch <em>all</em> of his Batman movie for the first time.</p><p>I tried to watch it ten or so years ago but I was instantly put off by the bleak and boring aesthetics and also Batman's ridiculous grunting.</p><p>No idea why it's taken me so long to realise he does that to disguise his Bruce Wayne voice. It seems so obvious now.</p><p>Anyway, back then I never made it past the 30 minute mark and now it was time to recitfy that, come hell or high water.</p><p></p><p>Turns out it wasn't a chore after all, especially since it gives the comic book icon a brutality and nastiness I had never seen before.</p><p>Of course I still prefer the sixties version but this was a very interesting alternative, the 2000s answer to the <em>Die Hard</em> blockbuster of the 1980s.</p><p>It's entertainingly over the top and there are some contrivances like the Joker's escape from prison, they made it a little too easy for him.</p><p>I'm also going to ignore that it seems very unlikely that the Joker could plant those big bombs all over Gotham City - comic book action can get away with that stuff.</p><p>Some of the action is a bit too frenetic for my taste and I had to rewatch a few bits to understand the progression of the action scenes, but it takes nothing away from the film's impressive and large scale logistics.</p><p></p><p>This film is included with prime and <em>Batman Begins</em> is a rental, and I expected to see the meatiest part in the Dark Knight that's why I didn't bother with the first one.</p><p>Besides, I've always misremembered Batman Begins as the prequel that came <em>after</em> The Dark Knight.</p><p>It was a nice surprise to see Two-Face, I had no idea he was going to be part of this story.</p><p><em>The Dark Knight Rises</em> seems like the logical next step but the Mad Max-style Bane villain doesn't look very interesting.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Desperate Remedies (1993)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]59424[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I think I found it in the BFI "10 Great New Zealand Films" list and then my friends at youtube made it possible to watch it.</p><p>The story plays like an opera with all the requisite heightened melodrama set in a (deliberately?) artificial gothic-baroque world filled with Dickensian schemers. The various schemes don't make perfect sense but one gets the impression that this is partially the point of the film.</p><p>Not <em>quite</em> as meticulous as a Peter Greenaway, and not <em>quite</em> as grotesquely kitsch as a Ken Russell, but if you're a fan of those films then <em>Desperate Remedies</em> will certainly scratch that itch.</p><p>There are shades of <em>Querelle</em> but everything about the film's colour palette screams 1990s art sensibilities, you can even find it in many music videos from that era.</p><p>The actors are really getting what is required of them which adds a lot of fun to the proceedings.</p><p>It made me think of what <em>Restoration</em> (1995) <u>could</u> have been if it hadn't been so tonally insecure (resulting in a big, beautiful bore).</p><p>I'll try to locate a DVD copy, hoping the picture quality will be a bit better than the youtube upload.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 442906, member: 8"] The Dark Knight (2008) [ATTACH type="full"]59423[/ATTACH] Now that Christopher Nolan is super-trending again I decided to watch [I]all[/I] of his Batman movie for the first time. I tried to watch it ten or so years ago but I was instantly put off by the bleak and boring aesthetics and also Batman's ridiculous grunting. No idea why it's taken me so long to realise he does that to disguise his Bruce Wayne voice. It seems so obvious now. Anyway, back then I never made it past the 30 minute mark and now it was time to recitfy that, come hell or high water. Turns out it wasn't a chore after all, especially since it gives the comic book icon a brutality and nastiness I had never seen before. Of course I still prefer the sixties version but this was a very interesting alternative, the 2000s answer to the [I]Die Hard[/I] blockbuster of the 1980s. It's entertainingly over the top and there are some contrivances like the Joker's escape from prison, they made it a little too easy for him. I'm also going to ignore that it seems very unlikely that the Joker could plant those big bombs all over Gotham City - comic book action can get away with that stuff. Some of the action is a bit too frenetic for my taste and I had to rewatch a few bits to understand the progression of the action scenes, but it takes nothing away from the film's impressive and large scale logistics. This film is included with prime and [I]Batman Begins[/I] is a rental, and I expected to see the meatiest part in the Dark Knight that's why I didn't bother with the first one. Besides, I've always misremembered Batman Begins as the prequel that came [I]after[/I] The Dark Knight. It was a nice surprise to see Two-Face, I had no idea he was going to be part of this story. [I]The Dark Knight Rises[/I] seems like the logical next step but the Mad Max-style Bane villain doesn't look very interesting. Desperate Remedies (1993) [ATTACH type="full"]59424[/ATTACH] I think I found it in the BFI "10 Great New Zealand Films" list and then my friends at youtube made it possible to watch it. The story plays like an opera with all the requisite heightened melodrama set in a (deliberately?) artificial gothic-baroque world filled with Dickensian schemers. The various schemes don't make perfect sense but one gets the impression that this is partially the point of the film. Not [I]quite[/I] as meticulous as a Peter Greenaway, and not [I]quite[/I] as grotesquely kitsch as a Ken Russell, but if you're a fan of those films then [I]Desperate Remedies[/I] will certainly scratch that itch. There are shades of [I]Querelle[/I] but everything about the film's colour palette screams 1990s art sensibilities, you can even find it in many music videos from that era. The actors are really getting what is required of them which adds a lot of fun to the proceedings. It made me think of what [I]Restoration[/I] (1995) [U]could[/U] have been if it hadn't been so tonally insecure (resulting in a big, beautiful bore). I'll try to locate a DVD copy, hoping the picture quality will be a bit better than the youtube upload. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top