Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Why has Grey's Anatomy succeeded where 80s soaps failed?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Michael Torrance" data-source="post: 72125" data-attributes="member: 719"><p>Ironically I had the reverse experience: I tried to watch a few episodes of ER and found it too boring. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I of course agree with you about how soaps shot themselves on the foot. But I don't buy the "viewing public taste shifts" theory. 90210 and Melrose Place, both Spelling shows, had ratings and buzz in the 90s only a few years after the big 80s soaps tanked . Of course Dynasty and Dallas could not continue being the #1 and #2 shows, but with decent ratings (and of course decent storylines) they could have been in the top 30 and remain viable even if sitcoms caught the top spots.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Michael Torrance, post: 72125, member: 719"] Ironically I had the reverse experience: I tried to watch a few episodes of ER and found it too boring. I of course agree with you about how soaps shot themselves on the foot. But I don't buy the "viewing public taste shifts" theory. 90210 and Melrose Place, both Spelling shows, had ratings and buzz in the 90s only a few years after the big 80s soaps tanked . Of course Dynasty and Dallas could not continue being the #1 and #2 shows, but with decent ratings (and of course decent storylines) they could have been in the top 30 and remain viable even if sitcoms caught the top spots. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Why has Grey's Anatomy succeeded where 80s soaps failed?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top