Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
thats the one scene i truly remember with some dreadful hammy acting

Yes. It's certainly... memorable.

I cant help but think of Fawlty Towers and hotel Inspectors ;)

Oh yes. And his corked wine. Such a perfectly-executed scene.

I once saw him early 2000s at Covent garden heating to his shop there on Toy Theatres (Benjamin Pollocks I think it was called)
30 mins later I bumped into Alec Gilroy aka Roy Barraclough in Borders book shop on Charing X road - was a bit surreal

Gosh - what are the chances?! All that was missing was the cobbles.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
that should have said heading to his shop :eek: I should put my glasses on!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
4.50 From Paddington

Another T.R. Bowen screenplay. He seems to have all the best-known ones. There are a couple of recurring themes from his previous ones: Miss Marple is first seen at home with her maid, Mary. No sign of her giving instruction, though, so perhaps she has her well-trained by now. It seems Mary is Bowen’s own creation, in common with Mrs Brogan who was last seen in A Pocketful Of Rye.

Another recurring motif: Jane Marple's eye for the tacky. She describes a cigarette holder (I think) owned by the dead woman as "tawdry" and "cheap" and realises she must be in the theatre as there were times when she could afford to buy good stuff and times when she was out of work and had to make do with such junk.

The plot is rather different from what I remember. My own fault for watching Murder, She Said several times in adulthood whilst only reading the book once (I even wondered if Rutherford Hall might be named in honour of that film’s Marple when, of course, it was so-named in the original novel). On that note, Joan Hickson herself appeared in Murder, She Said, making this her second adaption of the same piece (albeit in a very different role).

Most of the faces were “familiar unknowns”, which is a good way to watch. Probably best-known to me was Jean Boht (who I’ve only just read died of complications from dementia last year) as Madame Joilet. Meanwhile, I mistook John Hallam for Anthony Newley.

I find myself with surprisingly little to say about this one, but it’s a thoroughly enjoyable, solid adaption.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A Caribbean Mystery

This is the first of the “final three”: the adaptions which contractually had to be filmed last since, at the time this series began, Warner Bros. co-owned the rights for three Christie titles for their own adaptions. I covered this when writing about Nemesis, and it’s interesting to see the other side of that particular coin.

Fortunately, I was aware of the change of actor for Jason Rafiel. Donald Pleasence never fails to entertain and this is no exception. For the first third of this film I was a little distracted trying to remind me who I was reminded of upon hearing his accent and delivery. Then it struck me: Michael Caine!

Along these lines, another amusing distraction was Sue Lloyd’s appalling American accent.

Besides these and the wonderful Joan Hickson, most of the rest of the cast weren’t that well-known to me, which I find a bonus. There were some familiar faces, certainly, but none that I’d recognise and be able to name on sight. The one who drove me to distraction in this instalment was Sheila Ruskin who looked for all the world like Olivia Colman had stepped back in time. I still feel like I know her well for a specific role, but can’t place what and IMDb hasn’t jogged my memory.

Truthfully, I wasn’t overly looking forward to this story on the basis that the Caribbean backdrop felt too far removed from the typical English village with which I associate the character of Jane Marple. Actually the Englishwoman abroad concept worked incredibly well (Jane of course, being someone who wouldn’t be averse to taking this kind of holiday to rejuvenate, just as Agatha Christie herself would) and all the pieces fitted perfectly into place.

Is the aftermath of Victoria’s death the bloodiest scene yet shown in this series? It certainly felt like it as I watched and the camera pulling back to reveal this bloody tableau, jagged knife and all, gave me a little jolt. It also felt exciting to see the “Nemesis” moniker given context here.

This instalment - aired five years almost to the day of the very first one - came a full two years after 4:50 From Paddington, marking the biggest gap so far between stories. It shows a little, with Joan Hickson having aged visibly and appearing decidedly frailer than when last we saw her. With Jane said to have been unwell, though, this does work a little in the story’s favour and could even be partially deliberate. It will be another two years again between this story and the next, and it’s sad to think there are only two left.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I always enjoyed the 4.50 to Paddington back in the day and the girl on the far right of that photo reminds me of one of my best friends from school.

The one who drove me to distraction in this instalment was Sheila Ruskin
I remember her from cropping up in small roles in other shows like Taggart and Bergerac

Enjoying the reviews @Mel O'Drama

re Sue Lloyd accent! absolutely, she didnt learn anything from being Lloyds housekeeper!!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I remember her from cropping up in small roles in other shows like Taggart and Bergerac

Oh yes - I noticed those when checking out her IMDb to try and work out why she seemed so familiar.

And I hope to crack open my Bergerac set before too long.

Enjoying the reviews @Mel O'Drama

Oh great. And thanks. :hat:

re Sue Lloyd accent! absolutely, she didnt learn anything from being Lloys housekeeper!!

Indeed not. :lol:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
They Do It With Mirrors

This is a story I barely recall at all, which was a big help. The title being spoken by Chief Inspector Slack really jumped out at me and made me wonder how many of the Marple titles were used in dialogue within the story itself.

Besides Jean Simmons and Joss Ackland (both of whom I really only know by name rather than associating them with any key role), most of the faces were vaguely familiar from seeing them in other roles, none of which I could name or place.

I think the stars of the show in this one were The Heath House in Staffordshire, which doubled for Stonybrook, and the atmosphere, helped by the lighting and dim, shadowy lighting for the interiors.

Oh, and the competitive dynamic between C.I. Slack and Miss Marple was a joy to watch. Especially his shock at seeing her at the scene just as he invoked her name and his hard-won thanks at the end of the story.

Naturally, Joan Hickson was as marvellous as ever. I especially loved her slightly reactions to Edgar’s ramblings as he sat alongside her. The story about the bonfire burglaries in St Mary Mead was great as well. It’s so much a part of her character that all of her crime solving comes from patterns she recognises from observing her own village closely, and Joan Hickson gives Jane a wonderfully vague quality as she mutters away or tells half a story that makes her seem like a dotty old woman. Deceptively so, of course. Also, her non-reaction to the performance art piece she endures in the theatre said more than a thousand words.

There’s a brilliant moment towards the end where Slack notes that she knows whodunnit, and she admits that she knows who, but not why (or was it how). Watching her patiently bide her time until she has all the facts is marvellous. A lesser detective might have played their hand too soon, but this isn’t just any old detective.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The Mirror Crack’d From Side To Side

Well, it’s been a month since the last film and I’m glad to have been unhurried and sporadic in my viewing of this series. This makes it feel more authentic to its original, which was only transmitted occasionally. It feels somehow appropriately symbolic (though why I don’t exactly know) that my sojourn in St Mary Mead has taken me from Christmas to Easter.

The Mirror Crack’d… comes a full eight years after The Body In The Library. Watching at this pace, one can see that Joan Hickson has aged with the passage of time. But such is life, and it’s most appropriate for the chronology of the novels.

I’ve just read this timeline of the novels according to their settings and the stories take place over four decades from 1930 (The Murder At The Vicarage) to 1971 (Nemesis). I think the series’ timeline is more compressed, with most episodes appearing to be post-war or early Fifties, but it’s still evident from comments made in certain instalments that time has passed and Jane herself is aware of the physical limitations placed upon her by age. In this respect, life reflects the original medium, while this new medium reflects both life and the original medium. It creates rich layers.

What hasn’t aged at all is the tone of the series. There’s a consistency from beginning to end which makes these twelve stories feel perfectly cohesive and structured. It helps that there’s a timelessness to the backdrops of Hampshire villages and country estates. Not only did the series feel consistent back when it first aired, it has aged remarkably well thanks to a winning combination of good writing, perfect casting, careful production and ageless settings.

I understand Joan had wanted A Caribbean Mystery to be her curtain call as Jane Marple. Thank God she was persuaded to film these final two stories which I’m sure remain as definitive as any others put on film. I’ve not watched more recent adaptions such as the ITV series, but this version certainly puts the 1980 Angela Lansbury film well and truly in its place.

As the final film in this series, it’s wonderful that this is probably the one which features the most returnees from previous instalments. Both of Jane’s nephews are present and correct, having appeared individually-but-separately in three previous stories between them. There are familiar villagers Miss Hartnell, the curate, Christopher Hawes and postmistress Mrs Brogan (a favourite of mine from her two previous appearances). Finally, Jane’s friend Dolly Bantry - last seen back in 1984’s The Body In The Library - provides a perfect casting bookend.

In terms of other casting, familiar faces include Glynis “Makepeace” Barber gamely going for an American accent (did Michael Brandon coach her, I find myself wondering); there’s Hyacinth Bucket’s sister Daisy who is married to Charlie Cotton from EastEnders (quite unrecognisable in this sympathetic role as the most gentle of men. I didn’t realise who he was until I looked it up this morning. Which also led me to the discovery that actor Christopher Hancock was the brother of Stephen, AKA Ernest Bishop). Margaret Courtenay is a familiar face from British TV (I suspect I remember her best from Never The Twain which I watched not so long back).

Barry Newman looked very familiar, but nothing particular leaps out at me from his filmography other than a few Murder, She Wrote episodes. I found him very charismatic indeed, which has reminded me that Petrocelli is still somewhere on my viewing bucket list.

Hollywood invading this small English village could have felt disastrously forced, but it all worked fine due to the circles in which Jane and her friends operate.

All in all, it’s a fine end to the definitive Miss Marple, and it’s with some sadness that I take my leave from St Mary Mead.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
but this version certainly puts the 1980 Angela Lansbury film well and truly in its place.
oh that was painful but then again Ive never been a fan (of Hammy) Miss L

Barry Newman looked very familiar, but nothing particular leaps out at me from his filmography other than a few Murder, She Wrote episodes. I found him very charismatic indeed, which has reminded me that Petrocelli is still somewhere on my viewing bucket list.

Oh Yes please @Mel O'Drama, please invest. - I bought it at ? the start of lockdown. So many old Dallas "Minor" actors in it not to mention lovely Susan Howard and a very young Harrison Ford - you will see Punk, Jordan, Paul Morgan etc

'let me take you back to the night in question and give you another version of what may have happpened that night'

Which also led me to the discovery that actor Christopher Hancock was the brother of Stephen, AKA Ernest Bishop).
Always remember him in the Devils Crown from Late 70s and remember reading at the time he was related to the late Ernie Bishop

All in all, it’s a fine end to the definitive Miss Marple, and it’s with some sadness that I take my leave from St Mary Mead.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride, i have looked out my box set and will give it a dusting once Ive finished my Crossroads love fest xx

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ive never been a fan (of Hammy) Miss L

:lol: I don't mind a bit of Murder, She Wrote, but she's a terrible Miss Marple. Thankfully it was only a matter of four years after this before the definitive Marple would arrive on the scene.

Oh Yes please @Mel O'Drama, please invest. - I bought it at ? the start of lockdown. So many old Dallas "Minor" actors in it not to mention lovely Susan Howard and a very young Harrison Ford - you will see Punk, Jordan, Paul Morgan etc

Thanks for the endorsement, BF. It first came onto my radar when I read on the pre-crash site about the Dallas connections. It seems everyone who's seen it speaks highly of it so it's definitely on my radar.

Am I right in thinking it's only available on Region 1 DVD?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride

My pleasure, BF. Thanks for joining me. :hat:

i have looked out my box set and will give it a dusting once Ive finished my Crossroads love fest xx

Oh great. It'll be good to read your thoughts as you rewatch.