Amazon Prime Alex Rider

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A teenage spy is not something I would be interested.
A drama about a British teenage spy just does not appeal to me.

I did the full Bond movies at the start of this year and can't say it was worth it. Just face it, I'm not into spy stuff. I tried Bourne years and years ago and again, nothing.

But, I thought I would give it a go based on some comments I had from @Jolly Jason73

First episode started well for anyone who would be interested in this kind of stuff, but not so much for me, I did, however, find by the end of the episode something to cling on to. It ended really well and the next couple of episodes started to really pick up, then as I reach the middle of this first series, I'm not just hooked, I'm pulled in so deep that I'm no longer permitted to speak about what's going on at Point Blanc.

If you have tried this and it didn't work, you didn't try hard enough.
If you don't like spy stuff, then you haven't seen all possibilities.
If you have no idea what this is all about, then you are probably missing out on the biggest TV series, since DALLAS.

If, after reading this thread you look like this

you're so close you can smell it.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Quoting myself from the general streaming thread because it was a fresher impression then:

Amazon's Alex Rider - surprisingly good. The book franchise had so far a less successful film version, Stormbreaker with Alex Pettyfer in 2005. The series is based on Point Blanc, the second novel of the book series. It's about a teen James Bond who is drawn into spy business for personal reasons. Believable interactions between the students played by decent young British actors (Otto Farrant in the title role), it has some very atmospheric sets and is actually very suspenseful without too much violence. Amazon already ordered a second season. As an adult viewer you honor that the cinematography lingers for moments on beautiful landscapes and the editing wasn't done by a hyperventilating mixer machine. A beneficence for your eyes and brain.

Later I've read reviews that weren't sold on the young actors, cretins! There isn't one weak player among them and Otto Farrant expressing the lead's inner turmoils after his life is turned upside down in many ways while he's still trying to act normal in school is one of the best series performances this year (not quite Tom Payne's Prodigal Son but close).

Last edited:

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Otto Farrant expressing the lead's inner turmoils after his life is turned upside down in many ways while he's still trying to act normal in school is one of the best series performances this year

That turmoil is a central part of the book series, so it was something I was watching for in the TV series and I agree, Farrant did a fantastic job playing it out, without overplaying it.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just finished Season 2. What a ride and amazing mix of suspense and thrills! Has also a great villain played by Toby Stephens. My nerves and heart are still shaking. This should really have some media buzz.