America 1957

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wasn’t around yet but from what most people that were around at the time tell me it was an amazing time. If I could go back in time 1950s America would definitely be at the top of my list of eras to visit. I think life was much simpler back then for the most part. That, and of course I’d give just about anything to own a 1957 Chevy.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wasn't born yet but it did seem simpler in many ways, and there seemed to be many good things about the era. However, there were many things that were terrible. Equal rights weren't enjoyed by everyone, many groups were marginalized, suffering greatly, and didn't get their piece of the American pie.
As Billy Joel wrote, " The good old days weren't always so good, and tomorrow isn't as bad as it seems."

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I wasn't born yet but it did seem simpler in many ways, and there seemed to be many good things about the era. However, there were many things that were terrible. Equal rights weren't enjoyed by everyone, many groups were marginalized, suffering greatly, and didn't get their piece of the American pie.
As Billy Joel wrote, " The good old days weren't always so good, and tomorrow isn't as bad as it seems."
No era is without flaw, but there were definitely positives about this era

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All historical eras are interesting, especially when remembered correctly. The American Myth was solidified in the '50s and the aspirations of the decade were rather appealing (and a lot of liberal policies were enacted during the '50s despite its conservative image) and the middle class was beginning to do better than ever -- if you were caucasian, at least -- because the unions were strong, anti-trust laws were strong, and progressive tax policy (where the more you earn the more you pay) dominated... and 30 years later Reagan dismantled all three things while telling us to go back to "the morality" of the '50s.

The Bomb was new and a real issue, and the looming doom and the post-war optimism were hauntingly juxtaposed. National parks had '50s postcards on display for sale for half-a-century.

And if you became a showbiz icon in the '50s, you'd still be one for the next '50s years, even if you were long dead.

Last edited by a moderator: