Another Core Character Not Returning? (Spoiler)

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well here's some scoop that makes this situation even more puzzling (to me at least).

https://tvline.com/2018/11/09/dynasty-james-mackay-leaving-fired-steven-season-2/

According to the article (who claims they got it from the network, NOT the producers), MacKay is simply "not a series regular" any more, but will appear in a limited number of episodes, and come back later in the season. In daytime they would refer to this as being "bumped down to recurring," as in "non-contract, but still around." Mackay's tweets make it sound much more final. Of course, he might not want to come back later in the season, so it might be final for him.

The article also seems to be teasing some general "tumult" behind the scenes at Dynasty, the sort of hint-dropping they like to do when they can't say it outright.

In all honesty, he might not know how much he's supposed to reveal and it would explain why he hasn't been as harsh on the show as Nathalie Kelley has been.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
here's some scoop that makes this situation even more puzzling
I do like reading the comments under stories like this. Someone actually mentioned to hire Joan Collins to save the show.

1. I don't think The CW could afford her. And if they could half the cast would have to be fired to finance Dame Joan Collins "Special Guest Star" status..oh wait...there could be an upside to this.
  2. I really don't think Dame Joan would want anything to do with this reboot.

Peter

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
its only early in the 2nd season and they already dont know where to go with the caracters and story haha that says it all, the're not able to make it anything worth while ALREADY

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think they know Jeff is still there...

Be patient... As soon as he's going to enjoy his honeymoon with sugar mama Alexis his heart (and ass) will be axed from the show... Enter the real Alexis Colby! ;) Rich and powerful widow... ( Adrianna can't be wrong)

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Yes, there's not much of a choice if she wants to end up as Alexis COLBY, so it must be either Cecil or Jeff.
She clearly wants to punish Blake, after she saw him kissing Cristal from downstairs, so she has to marry the enemy... and rise from trailer-ashes as newborn and powerful ALEXIS COLBY! :eek: :D

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and they already dont know where to go with the caracters and story
Unless they do, and there's simply no room for Steven right now. Let's not forget that O.Sammy Jo disappeared from time to time.
It may be a financial decision and they only want to pay the actors who are essential to the current storylines.

One could argue that NuSammy Jo isn't essential either (especially without Steven) but firing Rafael De La Fuente is not an option because they would lose millions and millions of viewers.
He and Fallon are the yin & yang of the show: the ambitious bitch vs. the lazy bum.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe Collins can show up as Alexis Senior, the mama of Nicollette
One could argue that NuSammy Jo isn't essential either (especially without Steven) but firing Rafael De La Fuente is not an option because they would lose millions and millions of viewers.
He and Fallon are the yin & yang of the show: the ambitious bitch vs. the lazy bum.
Yes, they are the stars of this show.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Yes, there's not much of a choice if she wants to end up as Alexis COLBY, so it must be either Cecil or Jeff.
She clearly wants to punish Blake, after she saw him kissing Cristal from downstairs, so she has to marry the enemy... and rise from trailer-ashes as newborn and powerful ALEXIS COLBY! :eek: :D

Who knows, maybe Nicolexis will go down down in Atlanta downtown, and become this:

upload_2018-11-12_20-10-58.jpeg

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It may be a financial decision and they only want to pay the actors who are essential to the current storylines.

Yes, I would suspect it's part of it. As I said, James MacKay haven't been as harsh as Natalie Kelley, so it wouldn't surprise me if they bumped him down to recurring status for the time being. The TvLine article seems to indicate that Steven AND James will be back and will be bringing something surprising along with him (Adam?).

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
His departure (or "re-departure") for Paraguay was not done very well. Steven is basically a newlywed (and we all know how newlyweds have "needs"), and he's just been told that the man he thought was his father, isn't. The man who acted more fatherly to him growing up, whom he thought was doing it only because he was being paid to do it, is his real father. His possible fatherhood scenario also blew up spectacularly. All this stuff makes it hard for me to buy that he would take off "to think" or to "find himself" rather than face the problems head-on. At the very least, he would have taken Sam with him, since Sam didn't do anything to cause the troubles. If Steven felt he needed to get away from Blake, from Anders, and especially from lying liar who lies Alexis...well, okay. But he ought to have realized that Sam did nothing to deserve being deserted like that.

Left out of the discussion (in the haste to shove him out the door) is Steven's sobriety. He has a recent history of falling back into old habits (with Ted), and that wasn't even a fall due to his "stressful" life. If I knew someone close to me was having a major crisis like this and has a drug problem, I'd be worried when I hear him say he wants to ditch everyone and go somewhere far away. If Steven were to relapse at the house (or even in the 404 area code), he'd have a lot of people around who can help him. Not so much in a remote area of Paraguay. This aspect hasn't been addressed, like I said, in their haste to write him out, and it's a storyline 'beat' that ought to be.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
His possible fatherhood scenario also blew up spectacularly. All this stuff makes it hard for me to buy that he would take off "to think" or to "find himself" rather than face the problems head-on.

Actually, I think it's very in character for him to flee rather than try to face the problems head-on - after all, last time he went on a world tour to save the world was largely due to the pressure of being the male Carrington heir in addition to his previous problems with addiction. I do wish someone would've properly called him out on his tendencies to run, but maybe that's eventually coming since they already has said he'll be back.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Steven lives inside his own head and agonizes over decisions, a trait he shares with his original counterpart. I think Steven feared he would be tempted to fall off the wagon if he stayed in Atlanta which would endanger his marriage to Sam. The only viable option he saw was to go to Paraguay and work himself to exhaustion so he wouldn't have time to think about his problems.

Having Steven out of the picture opens up possibilities for Sam. Steven definitely would have called Child Protective Services as soon as they discovered Matthew Jr. That wouldn't have been much fun and would have dramatically reduced the likelihood that a gun-wielding Claudia would show up shouting "where's my baby?"

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It might happen - one of the TvLine articles mentioned that Steven will be back later in the season with a "surprising plot twist". On the other hand, it would also explain why James McKay hasn't seemed as harsh on the show as Natalie Kelley.
I wanted Adam to come back as Amanda. But if the producers want to fire James Mackay, Steven coud be the one who have a gender change. Now that's a twist !
Or he could be back with the same face, that would be nice too.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I wanted Adam to come back as Amanda. But if the producers want to fire James Mackay, Steven coud be the one who have a gender change. Now that's a twist !
Or he could be back with the same face, that would be nice too.

Didn´t la Shapiro drop something like when the WC Dienasty was introduced? That there would be a transgender character?

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess she was confused by the fact that Sammy Jo is a man in this version. Which proves how much she is looking after the reboot...