Any Lord of the Rings fans on Tellytalk?

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I'm a very big fan of JRR Tolkien's books especially his epic novel The Lord of the Rings. I'm also a big fan of Peter Jackson's movie trilogy adaptation of the novels.

I'm only after purchasing a special de luxe edition of the novel. I already have about eleven different hardback editions of the books and this is my latest one. Who else on Telly Talk loves Lord of the Rings too. :)

LOTR deluxe2.jpg
LOTR deluxe3.jpg

LOTR deluxe4.jpg

LOTR deluxe6.jpg

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I feel negligent that I've never read LOTR. I was very much into the Narnia books when I was young, so I may well have enjoyed it. As it was, we had to read The Hobbit at school and while I loved reading there was something about those particular classes I didn't enjoy (I forget what). As a result I forever associated Tolkien with tedious lessons.

That is one stunning-looking book. It's absolutely beautiful. Perhaps I need to re-think.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really struggled to read both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit when I was younger. I found LOTR particularly hard going and to me seemed to get bogged down in descriptions. However, I loved the first 2 films (The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers), especially the first one but the final film was overly look and lost my interest at times.

I know it's a literary classic beloved by millions of fans but sadly it wasn't my type of book.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I feel negligent that I've never read LOTR. I was very much into the Narnia books when I was young, so I may well have enjoyed it. As it was, we had to read The Hobbit at school and while I loved reading there was something about those particular classes I didn't enjoy (I forget what). As a result I forever associated Tolkien with tedious lessons.

That is one stunning-looking book. It's absolutely beautiful. Perhaps I need to re-think.
Well you could get yourself a paperback edition of the book if you don't want to spend too much money. There are plenty of different editions both hardback & paperback of Lord of the Rings on eBay. I'm sure you would've no trouble getting yourself a copy buddy. :)

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
This is my favourite edition of Lord of the Rings, the centenary edition.

I have two copies of it! :)

centenaryrtolkien.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm a very big fan of JRR Tolkien's books especially his epic novel The Lord of the Rings. I'm also a big fan of Peter Jackson's movie trilogy adaptation of the novels.

I'm only after purchasing a special de luxe edition of the novel. I already have about eleven different hardback editions of the books and this is my latest one. Who else on Telly Talk loves Lord of the Rings too. :)

View attachment 32220View attachment 32221

View attachment 32223
View attachment 32222

No doubt you will be watching the new TV series? Or have you already started it? I'm tempted to watch it but I'm watching House Of The Dragon and I'm just not sure if there's room in my life for two fantasy series at once.

I haven't read the books but did enjoy the Peter Jackson trilogy.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
No doubt you will be watching the new TV series? Or have you already started it? I'm tempted to watch it but I'm watching House Of The Dragon and I'm just not sure if there's room in my life for two fantasy series at once.

I haven't read the books but did enjoy the Peter Jackson trilogy.

I haven't got Amazon Prime.

But if that show does go to DVD or Blu-ray at some point, I shall certainly be buying it. :)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
We had to read the Hobbit in Ist year at school and sumarise each chapter in "blue ink and double line spacing" so i hate the Hobbit and anything else by Tolkein as it sapped the life out of you having to do this for English lessons.

Ive never read another book and Ive never senen the films - when i see JRR Tolkein it brings back that awful fear of dread re that English lesson and teacher who sucked any enjoyment from a book

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
We had to read the Hobbit in Ist year at school and sumarise each chapter in "blue ink and double line spacing" so i hate the Hobbit and anything else by Tolkein as it sapped the life out of you having to do this for English lessons.

Ive never read another book and Ive never senen the films - when i see JRR Tolkein it brings back that awful fear of dread re that English lesson and teacher who sucked any enjoyment from a book

You really should give The Hobbit a chance.

Of course maybe you're not a fan of fantasy novels. To many people it's an acquired taste.

I first read The Hobbit as a school boy and then had to get The Lord of the Rings.

Sounds like your Teacher was a bit of a slave driver as well as a bit of an idiot. A shame as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are lovely books. :(

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I adore the Lord of the Rings and read it again every other year. I collect editions of it, as there are some wonderful hardback editions with illustrations. Alan Lee's drawings have been re-issued in a 3 volume edition plus The Hobbit which is my favourite edition.

Middle Earth is called a fantasy series, but most of the landscapes are based on real places in England and Europe. Tol Eressea - 'the lonely isle' was based on either Tenerife or Madeira, when Tolkien as a 3 year old child sailed past on his way from Africa to England. The Misty Mountains are the Alps, and The Shire is obviously the edge of the Cotswolds and Birmingham/West Midlands, before the latter was all built over. That's what I love when I read these books, they are relatable in their geography and location, and Tolkien describes in vivid detail the rocks, fauna, weather and features that bring his world to life. Ithilien is particularly vivid, like a paradise oasis located close to both Mordor and Gondor.
Tolkien's world is full of myth and allegory - King Arthur, Norse myth, Catholic faith and forgiveness, and Gollum is a brilliant literary creation, up there with Shakespeare. I have read other fantasy series but none really come close to the scale, thematic depth and sense of place that Tolkien created and continued to hone right up until the end of his life.
The films of the Lord of the Rings are very good, if a bit too plot heavy, but I can't get on with the Hobbit series, Jackson went way too far into CGI battles/excess and gaming territory and departed too much from the book.

I don't know what the new series will be like, sounds like it is set in the second age (part of the Silmarillion), well before LOTR.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I adore the Lord of the Rings and read it again every other year. I collect editions of it, as there are some wonderful hardback editions with illustrations. Alan Lee's drawings have been re-issued in a 3 volume edition plus The Hobbit which is my favourite edition.

Middle Earth is called a fantasy series, but most of the landscapes are based on real places in England and Europe. Tol Eressea - 'the lonely isle' was based on either Tenerife or Madeira, when Tolkien as a 3 year old child sailed past on his way from Africa to England. The Misty Mountains are the Alps, and The Shire is obviously the edge of the Cotswolds and Birmingham/West Midlands, before the latter was all built over. That's what I love when I read these books, they are relatable in their geography and location, and Tolkien describes in vivid detail the rocks, fauna, weather and features that bring his world to life. Ithilien is particularly vivid, like a paradise oasis located close to both Mordor and Gondor.
Tolkien's world is full of myth and allegory - King Arthur, Norse myth, Catholic faith and forgiveness, and Gollum is a brilliant literary creation, up there with Shakespeare. I have read other fantasy series but none really come close to the scale, thematic depth and sense of place that Tolkien created and continued to hone right up until the end of his life.
The films of the Lord of the Rings are very good, if a bit too plot heavy, but I can't get on with the Hobbit series, Jackson went way too far into CGI battles/excess and gaming territory and departed too much from the book.

I don't know what the new series will be like, sounds like it is set in the second age (part of the Silmarillion), well before LOTR.

I collect editions of Lord of the Rings too but I'm going to stop now as I've more than enough of them!

I must have about fifteen or sixteen different editions with the bulk of them being hardbacks and about three of four paperbacks. :)

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

Did you ever get yourself a copy of Lord of the Rings buddy? :)