Are you sentimental?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Would you consider yourself sentimental? Why or why not? What are some things you possess -- whether it be material things or memories -- that hold a lot of sentimental value?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Weirdly, as I stumble through the autumn of my years, I'm far less sentimental than I very much was throughout my earthly existence --- probably because I assume I just don't have the time anymore.
:lol:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would probably consider myself way too sentimental to be honest. I’m sentimental with many of the shows I grew up watching. My complete set of Dallas DVD’s, of course, my Incredible Hulk DVD’s, my complete set of all The Godfather movies. I can never part with any of those if I tried. I tend to stay very loyal to the shows and movies I grew up watching, even when I feel they don’t hold up anymore. I’ll defend them to the end, and even after I’m proven wrong.

I also own part of the outfield wall from the old Yankee Stadium in New York, as well as some dirt from the infield. Those were gifts from my aunt when the stadium was demolished. My goal growing up was to play on that field someday but that wasn’t meant to be, so to own a little piece of the place is very special for me. I just realized that I’m probably the only person alive that opened up a box of dirt as a gift on Christmas Day and got teary eyed but I digress.

I guess my avatar itself is very sentimental to me also. I think about changing it all the time but I can’t because it’s the house I grew up in. Sadly, everyone I grew up with in that house is gone now so when I look at that avatar it takes me back to so many good memories with them. The day I change that avatar is going to be a big struggle but I’ll do it eventually I think.

So, like I said in my opening sentence, perhaps a little too sentimental at times.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am very sentimental, and probably in a weird way too.

I too hold onto movies and TV shows that I remember watching with my parents and grandparents. When I originally got into old movies and TV, my parents and grandparents would give me suggestions on what I should watch. I bought shows solely on their enthusiasm to see how I'd like what they used to watch when they were younger. Some of them I have actually parted with because of the language and content, but others -- like GILLIGAN'S ISLAND -- will always be in my collection. My mother and I used to watch a lot of movies together and I've bought them over the years and when I watch them, they bring back fine memories. Movies like SELENA and STEEL MAGNOLIAS bring back good memories of relaxing with my mother and watching TV.

When my wife and I got married last year, I had to get rid of a lot of things I had acquired from other people over the years. These things were mostly knick-knacks or a variety of other things. It was hard getting rid of some of it, but we simply don't have anywhere to store it. Our home is quite small, and we each allotted ourselves a certain amount of space for sentimental belongings.

The one thing I hold onto strongly is pictures. I enjoy taking pictures and having them in photo albums. One day, when people you love have left this world, pictures will be all you have... well, and videos or stuff of that nature. My wife picks at me saying I act like a grandmother having huge photo albums. But I want my pictures and they're not getting thrown away.

For a more weird or unusual example, I take you to yesterday. I met my wife for lunch (we meet half-way on the road between our two jobs) and we ate together. We spent a good 25 minutes together before it was back to work for both of us. We each had a foam cup with drinks in it. She took us with her, and I brought mine back with me. I couldn't throw that foam cup away yesterday afternoon. I was missing my wife bad, and looking at that cup made her feel close to me. Of course, I tossed it in the trashcan at the end of the work day, but I was heading home to her then.

So, yeah, I can be very sentimental and unusually so.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am too sentimental for my own good in that I over romanticize the past. Things that happened thirty years ago seem as if they happened yesterday, and it makes ot hard for me to move forward sometimes. I often wish I could be a little bit more like people who can end a chapter in their lives and not reread it, the way Victoria Principal left Dallas and was completely done.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They say the one characteristic "highly successful" people lack is: nostalgia.

Which is fine for sociopaths --- they either wind up in prison or as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

So you have to make your choice in life.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I'm sentimental about many things not just my love for a whole string of favourite TV shows. Dallas obviously, Return To Eden, Doctor Who, Star Trek and Prisoner Cell Block H to name a few.

I'm just a sentimental sod. :)

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
They say the one characteristic "highly successful" people lack is: nostalgia.

Which is fine for sociopaths --- they either wind up in prison or as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

So you have to make your choice in life.
Who are "they"?

I don't whether that is true or not, about nostalgis

It may be worth mentioning that highly successful people are not all horrible human beings.
It is true that some can be ruthless.
I think that quite often, many people, highly successful ones and average people alike,
may need to make difficult decisions that will displease others.
That makes them human, not monsters.

Yes, people have to make choices in life, but that choice isn't one of either/or.
A good person can be successful, and will make some flawed decisions because humans are not robots.
Otherwise, why bother getting an education, starting a business or having any ambition?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Who are "they"?

I don't whether that is true or not, about nostalgis

It may be worth mentioning that highly successful people are not all horrible human beings.
It is true that some can be ruthless.
I think that quite often, many people, highly successful ones and average people alike,
may need to make difficult decisions that will displease others.
That makes them human, not monsters.

Yes, people have to make choices in life, but that choice isn't one of either/or.
A good person can be successful, and will make some flawed decisions because humans are not robots.
Otherwise, why bother getting an education, starting a business or having any ambition?

You're so sweet and innocent!