B&B kicks off murder mystery storyline

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, Susan Flannery is an easy example. When she was rising in Hollywood she was almost certainly told by bosses that if she came out as a lesbian, her career would be over. So while it was an open secret in Hollywood, it was never written about or allowed to become fodder for discussion among the rest of the country. Over time she likely got used to keeping her personal life out of interviews, and publicists likely had nodding agreements with the press to gloss over her personal life. Times obviously changed and it is not a career killer to come out of the closet, but people who have spent most of their lives being discreet about such things aren't likely to suddenly 'get their freak on' and broadcast their private lives to the world.

There are many other actors who shy away (or totally avoid) the press because they value their privacy and don't want people to profit off their private lives. Just because they perform on TV doesn't mean they owe anything to the public other than a good performance. Yes, many actors are by nature gregarious and (maybe) attention-seeking, but it's not universal. When an actor is young and single, it might not matter as much if they talk about their lives to the press. But once they acquire a spouse, kids, etc. they (like everyone else) develops a need to protect them from possible harm. Let's face it: some press outlets have no qualms about profiting off the misfortune or scandals (genuine or made up) of the subjects they cover, and this causes a lot of mistrust of the press. If you have a friend who makes up gossip about you or your family, you start to avoid that friend.

Some people think they can use the press to their advantage, while others understand that the press can use YOU to their advantage. So engaging with the press is often a double-edged sword that some choose not to handle.

Susan spent a lot of time with fellow lesbians and gay actors, so they became a little family. People like Ian Buchanan and his partner, Joanna Johnson, Stanley Kamel etc etc. Plus her own girlfriend(s) throughout the years. But as you said, the press would never write about it. Not like how they speculate today in the tabloids. So while it's more acceptable to be out today, it's also a climate where you can hardly keep anything private anymore. Being in showbiz makes you a target in a way that would be totally unacceptable in other professions. How horrible wouldn't it be if you had paparazzis around you and journalists wanting to know and publish everything about you?

Oh well, there are still many famous people inside the closet. Some only in media, some in all aspects of life. As much as we celebrate people when they come out, too many producers and directors still don't like hiring gay people in straight romantical roles. But it's ok to hire straight people in gay roles.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
So, suicide is the answer in Vinnie's murder mystery?!? I didn't see it coming and I don't like it. It's not cool to use suicide as a cool twist.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I’m not a fan of what they ended up doing either. So he killed himself? That’s the big twist? This storyline, as most of them seem to be now on this show, was a big disappointment.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
For years I had hoped Justin would be used more, now I wish B&B wouldn't use him just to ruin his character.