Best Of Telly Talk: Your favourite thread so far - NOMINATION THREAD

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Since @Angela Channing suggested a Thread Of The Year category for our member nominations/awards, we thought we'd play catchup by asking members to choose your very favourite threads to date.

Threads can be nominated from anywhere on the site, and we'll put all your nominations to the vote a little later on.

Please note, we have now voted on every year up to the end of 2020. Therefore, please only nominate threads from January to December 2021.

Also, this isn't about thread titles as we already have a nomination process for those.

How to nominate:
  • Post a link to your nominated thread below
  • Tag the thread starter of your chosen thread (and any other members who made it special for you)
  • If you like, tell us your reasons for nominating.

It's as simple as that. And you can nominate more than one thread if your spoilt for choice.

There will be awards and points for winners, so spread the love and let's give our threads the credit they deserve!

Have fun.

Note: Post updated 2nd August 2022 to reflect new nomination date restrictions.

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And how about threads that were re-started because of the crash?

They're fine, Willie. If it's running on the current site, it's eligible. :hat:

(And I suppose they might get nominated because of their resilience and inability to be killed, which is as good a reason as any)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
DALLAS versus KNOTS LANDING versus the rest of them week by week | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @James from London
Reason: a must-read for every fan of the prime time soap genre.

Unused names you'd like for characters on DYNASTY | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Snarky Oracle
Reason: sometimes creative, sometimes downright hilarious

The Prisoner (1967) | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @I Am Boz
Reason: it made me discover one of the greatest TV series of all time.

Sons & Daughters - Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @JROG (even though we almost ended up the lily pond after I changed the thread title - long story!)
Reason; everything, after all it's about Sons and Daughters. I really enjoyed discussing the episodes.

A Chronological History of Australian Soap | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Carrie Fairchild
Reason: a wonderful read for the fans of Aussie soaps.

"Some obligations can't be passed on": Watching A Place To Call Home | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Mel O'Drama
Reason: my first read-only soap.

The Colbys Writer Paul Huson Has Agreed To An Interview With Me | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Alexis
Reason: I think this is self-explanatory

Grande Dame Guignol | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @ClassyCo
Reason: great subject and I've discovered some fabulous movies.

I'm sure I can find more but this is a good start.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sons & Daughters - Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @JROG (even though we almost ended up the lily pond after I changed the thread title - long story!)
Reason; everything, after all it's about Sons and Daughters. I really enjoyed discussing the episodes.

A Chronological History of Australian Soap | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Carrie Fairchild
Reason: a wonderful read for the fans of Aussie soaps.

"Some obligations can't be passed on": Watching A Place To Call Home | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)
by @Mel O'Drama
Reason: my first read-only soap.
Oh yes, I like all of those. And @Willie Oleson 's own Watching Capricorn Crude thread http://www.tellytalk.net/threads/watching-capricorn-crude.6314/ is a super-funny, unpredictable and unique take on a series that often feels like it's been talked about to death. And the screen caps are pretty too.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very Old Dallas is super-funny and unpredictable, but it's written from Valene's perspective. She wanted to do it herself but threads like "Jill is Justified" and "Nasty Coffee" scared her off.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My nominations

Just One More Thing - Rewatching Columbo - thread started by @Mel O'Drama
"Just one more thing...": Rewatching Columbo | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

This is a great thread for fans of Columbo and those who are just curious about the show. Every episode of the show was summarised and reviewed entertainingly and comprehensively, with some great insights about the show that I hadn't previously appreciated.

The Soapland Battles - thread started by @Richard Channing
SoapLand - The Battle Of - The Soapland Battles - The Result | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

I really enjoyed all the weekly themes to pick our top 5 from the prime time soaps in a battle to find the forum favourite. I couldn't pick one individual thread so I picked the final top 5 vote for which was when we had to select our favourite of all the battles. It was fun reflecting on all the soaps to identify a top 5 and reading everyone else's choices.

20 songs with unusual or wacky song titles - thread started by @Ome
Members Chosen Theme - 20 songs with unusual or wacky song titles - The Vote/Result Merged | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

All of the members chosen theme threads were great to participate in but probably the most enjoyable was songs with wacky titles because not only did it introduce me to a large number of songs I had never heard of before, many of them surprised me with how good they were despite of (or maybe because of) there unusual titles.

What was the last film you watched? - thread started by @Mel O'Drama
What was the last film you watched? | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

I enjoy this thread for 2 reasons: it's great to review films I've watched and share my thoughts with other forum members and I also enjoy seeing other people's thoughts and get ideas and recommendations for new films to watch.

The "I learned something today" thread - thread started by @Richard Channing
The "I learned something today" thread | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

Long before it became a thing on Tik Tok, this thread was a place where forum members could post interesting facts on a diverse range of subjects that only just became known to them

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Wow. Fifteen nominations in the first 24 hours is impressive by any standards.

Since such a good turnout wasn't expected, an emergency COBRA meeting has been held at Telly Talk Tower to discuss this dramatic turn of events. And we're now thinking there may be enough material to hold a separate poll for each calendar year from 2016-2021.

Some more thread suggestions would really make that worthwhile so keep those nominations coming.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think it’s great that we are celebrating and sharing our favourite threads from across the years. More so because we are in our 25th year of this wonderful community in our own little cyberspace.

There are so many fantastic threads and my first thought brought me to one started by @Long Lashes about our favourite reality show Big Brother.

A Year of Reality

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've realised that by chance I nominated a thread from every year between 2016 and 2020 (inclusive) with the exception of 2017. So in light of @Mel O'Drama suggestion that we might do a separate poll for every year, I'd like to add a nomination for 2017:

What Dallas item would you buy if you could? - thread started by @Sarah
What Dallas item would you buy if you could? | Forums for television shows past and present (tellytalk.net)

I chose this thread because it was interesting to see which items of Dallas memorabilia forum members valued the most and it was entertaining reading everyone's choices, both serious and humorous.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In addition to a number of those mentioned, here are a couple that have enriched the way I view familiar shows. Both the brainchildren of @James from London...

Who called who what and when
I believe the original WCWWAW thread was the Dynasty one. That was great, but the scope of the Knots one is even more epic, going way back to the beginning and reinforcing just how witty the dialogue was.

A Ewingverse Oral History
And this has a more epic scope still, going back not just to the beginning of the series, but all the way back to the Primeval Era. Plus it's a complete novelty to see Paul Galveston sharing a thread with LeeAnn De La Vega and Harris Ryland.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There's also...

Filming Locations
Started by @micmic, it's been a very enlightening thread and has had me on Google Earth for many an hour, walking the virtual streets. Thanks to @TJP's illustrated contributions it turned into an encyclopaedic beast of a thread, worth visiting for anyone who's watched Knots or is interested in locations in general.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The first round of voting for Telly Talk's favourite threads of all time goes live on 30th May.

It's not too late for you to nominate more threads... but the clock is ticking.

Our first round will be threads which began in 2016, so no nominations from pre-2017 will be accepted after next week. However, you can still currently vote from any thread, anywhere on the site which was started between September 2016 and December 2021 (inclusive).

If you have a thread (or threads) you'd like to nominate in addition to those named above, drop it in this thread and it will be added to the voting rounds.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A few more from me.

Leaving Neverland
From @Richard Channing.

I was absorbed in it for as long as the thread was popular. Many different member views on this made the thread gripping, if not more than the documentary itself.

Through the Soapy Window
From @James from London

A delightful thread that's like an easy reading novel. Capturing images from an angle not usually seen in the public eye from across the soaps creates new memories. I esp[eciallylove the BROOKSIDE images.

Watching the Marvel Cinematic Universe from the beginning...
From @Mel O'Drama

Like the 'What was the last film you watched?' thread (which has already been nominated), I rarely post in it, but it's one of the first threads I go to each time I open up Telly Talk. It's been a while since I watched the movies, so this thread has been an absolute joy to follow. Even better now, it includes the TV series from around 5/6 years ago.

Watching Capricorn Crude
From @Willie Oleson

DALLAS - The most discussed and reviewed show on Telly Talk. As enjoyable and engaging as other DALLAS review threads go, this one grabbed my attention, partly because of Willie's wit and the images he included throughout.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And now more are jumping out at me.

What titles are in your Netflix/Amazon etc list?
From @Willie Oleson

A great place to check out what other members are currently or planning on watching. I'd love to see it back in action again; maybe this nomination might spur members to continue sharing their plans.

Boris Johnson and Other Tory Liars
From @Angela Channing

Ever since Brexit and that lying, sexist, racist, homophobic idiot Boris became in change, the UK & Rest of World Politics forum has been bursting with threads, and none of them is very pretty. I could have nominated a dozen from over the past five years, but this one sums up the corruption that comes from our current government.

The Corona Virus
From @Matthew Blaisdel

Probably one of our most visited threads, filled with various opinions and lots of updates on what has been happening across the globe during the past couple of years. It's another thread that has been very informative, and all thanks to members from around the world.

Which show do you find yourself defending?
From @Jimmy Todd

A great subject to engage in or follow for TV fans across the globe. We all have a story to tell on what shows we love that often get criticised in the wrong way.