British fast food worker annoyances

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

British fast food worker annoyances, from Emma Blackery; there's a good bit of foul language, but the points she makes are incredibly valid

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The "no salt on the fries" people are doing this as a trick to get "fresh" fries, because they don't trust the restaurant to have freshly-fried fries (or more typically, they're so full of themselves that they think they're above it all and enjoy pushing fast food people around). They know fast-food places will have to fry up a new batch just for them, because there is otherwise no call for saltless french fries to be laying around. The customers will then usually salt them themselves. What they don't realize is that when you piss off fast food workers (who traditionally give zero damns about "special" people like that), your fries will come out of the oil and get tossed right into the bag--still dripping 400 degree oil. You want hot? You get hot. So hot you will have to wait five minutes before they can be safely touched. So yeah, bad behavior breeds more bad behavior...

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What they don't realize is that when you pass off fast food workers (who traditionally give zero damns about "special" people like that), your fries will come out of the oil and get tossed right into the bag--still dripping 400 degree oil. You want hot? You get hot. So hot you will have to wait five minutes before they can be safely touched. So yeah, bad behavior breeds more bad behavior...

Did not know that! So basically, if you insist on having no salt on your fries, you'll have to wait a little bit for them to cool down, simply because the cooks are having to get them right out of the hot oil. Is that what you're saying?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the "served piping hot" part is an optional bit of passive-aggressiveness on the part of the worker, though I see no way for the worker to give them any "resting" time. If they toss the newly-cooked fries into that metal thing with the heat lamp over it (I have no idea what it's really called), the fries would get residual salt all over them from the last 10,000 batches of fries that have rested/cooled in that thing. So keeping them salt-free means taking them directly out of the frying basket-thing and putting them into the carton-thing that they serve the fries in.

As you can see by my "technical terms," I've never worked in a fast food place, but I've certainly eaten at plenty of them. :)

The customer has already waited for the "fresh" fries to be made, so having them wait even longer for the fries to cool would only add to the wait time. Kinda defeats the concept of "fast" food.

Fun fact: In my original post, I wrote
What they don't realize is that when you pass off fast food workers

...when I actually typed that P word with an I in it. I went to "edit" and it said the pi.. word, but the edited version also shows up as "pa.."