Dallas Random Thought Thread

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Afton's character had flaws, but she did evolve and grow.
And then came TNT´s sequel, and she regressed as most of the original characters there. :NI:

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always loved the scene where Afton met with Sue Ellen following Cliff's suicide attempt.
Sue Ellen told Afton she didn't love Cliff, she only cared for him and that Afton could have him. Afton said she was nervous incase Sue Ellen told her that she wanted him.
Afton asks Sue Ellen if she's going to remarry JR and she replies she scared to but more afraid of what would happen if she didn't.

Really felt for both women here and it made a change not to see them make bitchy remarks to each other. Thought it was so admirable of Sue Ellen to arrange the meet up.

Earlier to this scene Sue Ellen would have thrown a drink over Afton's head and called her a "sick little girl" again which would have been deserved.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She had to understand that Harv couldn't represent her in her fight to overturn Jock's will considering he drew up the will.

You are right.

I think it was the writers way of showing that Miss Ellie would be totally alone in this fight.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Cliff could be irrational where the Ewings were concerned. However, he was right about the drill issue.
Cliff's responsibility was to maximize profit for the company, and to support employees, investors, suppliers and vendors.
He had no responsibility to choose sides in the battle for Ewing Oil. If he was going to act emotionally, he would
have supported Bobby, given his more intense feelings about JR.
It was Pam and Katherine who acted emotionally, albeit for different reasons.
Cliff had flaws, but he wasn't wrong about the drill

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like Cliff's Saab. It fits him in a way. This must have been on the JR Returns movie.

Great memory, @Michelle Stevens !

The best part of that scene is the wind was blowing so hard that Cliff had to use both hands to shut the car door. He asks, "Are you in on this Bobby? Do I have to fight the Ewings all over again?" while the wind blows his hair and his tie.

It's that kind of gritty filming on location that makes everything more "real".

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great memory, @Michelle Stevens !

The best part of that scene is the wind was blowing so hard that Cliff had to use both hands to shut the car door. He asks, "Are you in on this Bobby? Do I have to fight the Ewings all over again?" while the wind blows his hair and his tie.

It's that kind of gritty filming on location that makes everything more "real".
Indeed I remember the winds in those scenes. When JR returns from faking his death, in the truck with hogs, his hair (and hairpiece) were all tousled by the wind.

Agreed, the feel is more real when you see the elements of nature at work. We all deal with it. Indoor studio sets do have some drawbacks.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cliff had flaws, but he wasn't wrong about the drill
I’ve always thought it was ironic that Mark was actually the one that talked Pam into giving the drill to Bobby. I wonder how Cliff would’ve felt about Mark then? Mark indirectly ended up being the one to decide the contest.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always thought it was ironic that Mark was actually the one that talked Pam into giving the drill to Bobby. I wonder how Cliff would’ve felt about Mark then? Mark indirectly ended up being the one to decide the contest.

The writers agree with you that this was a point worth a second mention.

When Thornton Mcleish announces that Bobby's Canadian fields hit a gusher, Thornton said,

"Things were looking pretty grim there for a while. Some of our problems were solved by a special drill provided by Barnes-Wentworth"

BHAHAHAHA! J.R. must have LOVED hearing that!

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They must not have had a deal with Jeep . . . but, then, why use a Jeep at all?

One thing I appreciate about Dallas is when the producers get the small details exactly right.

These episodes of Dallas were filmed when pickup trucks were just getting to be more comfortable.

Jeep already had the Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a luxury off road vehicle for the upper class. The Grand Wagoneer came with power leather seats, power door locks, and power windows.

1714409930396.png

1714409643010.png

I do remember when Jeep made a pickup version of this and they were very unique. It was rare to see a luxury pickup truck and Jeep definitely had it.

This is exactly what a ranch foreman at Southfork would drive. I appreciate that the producers knew this.

1714410214756.png